Team Spirit

Guest BooBoo

Guest BooBoo

I dont think you can underestimate the importance of team spirit at a club. Personally i dont think the clubs had such a good team spirit since the Keegans first spell. It's a different arguement really but I always think Shearer had his posse and then there were the younger lads and foreigner cliques. That seemed to hang around even fater Shearer retired.

Its been great though this year to see players celebrating goals together, showing they actually care about winning and losing and generally appearing (Taylor/ Carroll notwithstanding) to be a group of mates as well as decent players. Briiliant scenes in the changing room after tonight's game when they were all going mad. It will be a big issue for Hughton in the summer to add quality to the squad without fracturing that built up trust and spirit in the camp.

Personally, I've centred on the lack of team spirit as the reason we went down last season; it caused a massive culmination of poor performances by players capable of staying up. If we have the same team spirit we've had this season, we'll have no problem staying up in the next.

The club has rarely had the team spirit that is necessary for all successful sides/clubs.

This needs to be cultivated if we are to get through the rigours of next season - some pundits have said that Newcastle were not the most attractive side in the CCC, but who cares about that ? We have had all the 'Entertainers' crap and a fat lot of good it did. I would far rather the side was functional and difficult to play against and sneaking 1-0 wins than playing all out attacking football and losing 3-2 every week.

Leeds of the late 60s/early 70s were an example of a side with great togetherness who achieved but were unpopular...ask their fans what they would rather have now......

Guest toonlass

All you need to do is look at the video and photos of the dressing room post match to see how good the team spirit is, and how much it meant to the players to win the league.

For the reasons stated above, I dont think we should be letting too many of this lot go over the summer.  With the exception of Butt who is out of contract and Best, I think we should keep the rest.  By all means add some faces, and better ones at that.

Keep this winning squad together and keep this spirit going IMO.

yep, for once we have a 'team' in the proper sense of the word. if the buttster helps create that we should maybe offer him a coaching role if he's retiring because i'm sure chris and colin would welcome his help and experience out on the training pitch