Top 10 Reasons Why Newcastle United Might Struggle To Make It In The EPL

LooneyToonArmy

by Champ Man :lol:

http://www.championshipmanager.co.uk/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.1684

Huge congratulations to Newcastle Untied who took the Championship title last night, crowning a quite incredible season in some very difficult circumstances.

This achievement from Chris Hughton’s side should not be under-estimated, as so many other “big” clubs struggle to come back from relegation to the second flight (see Leeds United, Southampton, Coventry).

However, unless they spend big, we really worry about them next year. Here’s why…

1. MIKE ASHLEY is still the owner. If he doesn’t spend, spend, spend the fans are going to turn on him again extremely quickly. But he’s surely still looking to sell, so him putting major investment into this side isn’t going to be his personal priority.

2. JONAS GUTIERREZ will surely leave. The Argentine has been absolutely sensational for the Magpies this season. He’s been the Championship’s player of the season by a county mile, but will surely be on his way to a bigger club. Jonas is reportedly the second name on the team sheet for Diego Maradona and Argentina (behind Messi) – if he has a good World Cup, who knows who will come in for him.

3. CHRIS HUGHTON lacks Premier League experience. The man will need time to settle, as he has only previously won one game as a Premier League manager with Newcastle (although he did win six at Spurs in 1998).

4. ALAN SHEARER will always be lurking. With more media attention on the Magpies, stories will be made up. They will no doubt revolve around Super Al wanting the hot seat, and while it might not be true, it’ll put pressure on Hughton.

5. ANDY CARROLL can’t do it alone at a higher level. The giant striker has loved big long balls being pumped to his head in the Championship and it has worked wonders. Against better centre-backs, your attacking play needs to be a bit smarter.

6. JOEY BARTON may well do something silly again.

7. MIKE WILLIAMSON lacks Premier League experience. As does Fitz Hall. And while they’re both great centre-backs (we’re not so sure about the other one with the perm) they might take a while to get used to the likes of Theo Walcott and Gareth Bale coming at them.

8. THE TOON ARMY have got the taste of success again. The fans are great, but after so many wins, expectations will be sky high. A couple of defeats on the spin and they might start protesting on the steps of the [email protected]/jjb-sportsdirect.html stadium again.

9. NICKY BUTT is older than the moon. He’s good in the Championship because he doesn’t actually have to move from the centre circle, but put some running in, his ancient bones might crumble to dust.

10. ALAN SMITH is… actually do you know what, he’s very good. As are so many things about Newcastle United. We can’t make 10 points, so we guess that bodes well! Fingers crossed there will be investment, because if it's one thing we know for sure, it is that the Premier League is a better place with Newcastle United in it.

i don't think this person has watched us play - butt's been out the side for a while, and smith is not 'very good'. there are some good points in there tbh, and it is not written spitefully, unlike some stories you see in the press, but it's not the most well informed piece.

Fuck me, that's the most ill-conceived article I've read in a long time. Aren't these the people that are supposed to dedicate their life to watching football and knowing the game? It's not even achieved it's objective of being irritating as it's so obviously wrong in so many aspects it falls far more on the side of baffling nonsense.

9. NICKY BUTT is older than the moon. He’s good in the Championship because he doesn’t actually have to move from the centre circle, but put some running in, his ancient bones might crumble to dust.

Whilst he is older than the moon, he's not good in the Championship. In fact, he doesn't play.

10. ALAN SMITH is… actually do you know what, he’s very good. As are so many things about Newcastle United. We can’t make 10 points, so we guess that bodes well! Fingers crossed there will be investment, because if it's one thing we know for sure, it is that the Premier League is a better place with Newcastle United in it.

:lol: Very good.

There’s lots that you can pick over, but I thought it was strange that they picked out Williamson and Carroll as players who would struggle in the Premiership. For me, they’re among the few players that I’m confident about.

Williamson isn’t the greatest athlete but he’s calm, decisive and skilful, and I’d say our best CB. Carroll has his limitations, but his power in the air will create problems for defences at any level. If the papers are to be believed, Premiership clubs have already come sniffing. If we hadn’t been promoted, I think he’d have moved up anyway.

Overall though, with the team we’ve got, we’ll struggle – possibly more than West Brom or Forest, who are better at playing the ball on the deck. It won’t be easy, because we’re now looking for players who can step into the first team, rather than squad players or youngsters who may come good in two years’ time.

Jonas will surely leave? Doubt he hung around for a season in the Championship to leave as soon as we went back up.

Nicky Butt is old? Aye, that's why he hasn't been playing any games.

Expectations will be sky high? Do they just have that sentence ready to cut and paste into any article about Newcastle? We're all expecting European football, obviously.

Williamson is skilfull?

He's decent, but not great. I don't think we look as solid with him back there as opposed to Taylor and the stats prove it. No coincidence that our worst defeat arrived with him alongside Hall. On Monday the pair of them looked off the pace in the first half against League 1 players who could (and possibly should) have scored 2 goals.

Williamson is skilfull?

He's decent, but not great. I don't think we look as solid with him back there as opposed to Taylor and the stats prove it. No coincidence that our worst defeat arrived with him alongside Hall. On Monday the pair of them looked off the pace in the first half against League 1 players who could (and possibly should) have scored 2 goals.

I disagree, Williamson Jan - May has outperformed Taylor August - Jan. Looks a good partnership alongside Colocinni

There’s lots that you can pick over, but I thought it was strange that they picked out Williamson and Carroll as players who would struggle in the Premiership. For me, they’re among the few players that I’m confident about.

Williamson isn’t the greatest athlete but he’s calm, decisive and skilful, and I’d say our best CB. Carroll has his limitations, but his power in the air will create problems for defences at any level. If the papers are to be believed, Premiership clubs have already come sniffing. If we hadn’t been promoted, I think he’d have moved up anyway.

Overall though, with the team we’ve got, we’ll struggle – possibly more than West Brom or Forest, who are better at playing the ball on the deck. It won’t be easy, because we’re now looking for players who can step into the first team, rather than squad players or youngsters who may come good in two years’ time.

I don't agree with this bit. It's generally those newly promoted teams that try to play pretty, attacking football that struggle. Workrate, physical presence and a solid defence are the key to survival in the early seasons after promotion eg. Birmingham and Stoke. 

The pretty football can come later when the team is established in the top league and can attract a better calibre of player.