Top 10 Reasons Why Newcastle United Might Struggle To Make It In The EPL

LooneyToonArmy

Beyond me how anyone who has seen us play at home since January can say we don't play on the deck or pose an attacking threat. Since we bought Routledge, started playing Lovenkrands up front regularly and moved Guthrie inside, we've been unplayable.

Teams now come up expecting an arsekicking and generally get one.

Routledge has given us a threat down the right which we never had before, and that's also allowed us to push Guthrie inside which has improved our ability to play through the midfield in home games. But it's not exactly been a sea-change, and I haven't seen any performance where we've been remotely 'unplayable'.

In every game that I've seen, there's been a lack of pace and mobility in central midfield, and as a result we find it difficult to pressure the ball when the opposition has possession. We still seem to rely on funnelling back behind the ball and defending in the final third. Championship teams haven't punished us for that strategy, but Premiership teams will. Our back four will get found out.

The lack of movement also makes it difficult for us to retain the ball, and we often lose it when put under pressure. We rely a lot on Routledge and Jonas's individual ability down the wings.

got to didsagee with a bit of that. mobility hasn't been a problem since routledge came into the team particularly in home games but it does seem like it is a tactic to sit and wait rather than pressure the ball and i think you go a bit OTT when you say 'final third' as most teams at SJP have only rarely got that far since january.

Guest toonlass

Jonas is our player of the season? Nicky Butt has been doing it in the Championship? Williamson and Hall are good defenders but they are not sure about Colo? FFS, what a frigging joke the OP was!

Guest Roger Kint

Jonas is our player of the season? Nicky Butt has been doing it in the Championship? Williamson and Hall are good defenders but they are not sure about Colo? FFS, what a frigging joke the OP was!

I must have missed the full time signing of Hall.  :undecided:

Shite article, shite game :thdn:

That article is hilarious, it's like it's been written by some random in a pub, who talks utter crap, to everyone. Even when he tries to be positive i.e saying Nicky Butt is good in the Championship or Jonas is so good he'll be off in the summer, he's still wrong. I dont know if anyone has ever been more wrong in their entire life. The level of wrongness, in just about every point he makes is astounding.

That article is hilarious, it's like it's been written by some random in a pub, who talks utter crap, to everyone. Even when he tries to be positive i.e saying Nicky Butt is good in the Championship or Jonas is so good he'll be off in the summer, he's still wrong. I dont know if anyone has ever been more wrong in their entire life. The level of wrongness, in just about every point he makes is astounding.

Jesus was wrong.

Guest Roger Kint

Jesus was wrong.

He was a very naughty boy!

Let people write what they want to write. Like this season and even the season before, we'll go into the first game full of crap stories not worth the paper or webpages they're written on. But instead of breaking down, let us do the talking on the pitch and give them some real headlines to write. We did it against Manure (league favourites) at Old Trafford 2 years ago and then West Brom (again league favourites) at the Hawthorns last year.

Annoyingly fans of other clubs, and I get loads because I go to uni away from Newcastle, read such things and believe they have a right to voice their thoughts on what Newcastle should do. I'm the one spending my weekends travelling to games, searching the net for links and radio streams when I can't get there and generally going out of my way to support the club. I can make my own mind up without externals telling me what to think!

9. NICKY BUTT is older than the moon. He’s good in the Championship because he doesn’t actually have to move from the centre circle, but put some running in, his ancient bones might crumble to dust.

N/A

0, doesn't make him young.

Wasn't saying he was, just answering your question as to why people consider him to be young ('..because he's not an established player or a familiar name') - compare that to someone like, oh, I don't know...Hitzlsperger, who many consider to be an 'old' player (because he's been around for ages).

Guest Brummiemag

The first 2 points are the only 2 that have a hint of credibility.

Ive said elsewhere that I think we have the basis of a decent top division team (Harper, Enrique, Colli, Jonas, Barton, Carrol). If Ashley keeps hold of these players and spends a minimum of £20 - £25 million net on 3 or 4 quality players (which surely he must do if he is serious about challenging for major honours in a few years time) then I can can see no reason why we can't finish mid table, maybe a top 10, and do it playing some decent football.