Traveling around europe

Gash

Me and 3 other friends are traveling around Europe this summer and just wanted some ideas where we should maybe go where we should avoid.

Things to do, places to see, what you would leave off the current route planned, anything you would add?

We'll be using the inter rail train passes which allows ten travels over 22 days

At the moment the plan is as follows-

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/447/img00271201004220226.jpg

Train to Berlin and stay there for 2 days

• Berlin Wall
  • Sachsenhausen concentration camp

Fly to Prague and stay there for 2 days

Train to Munich and stay there for 2 days

• Allianz Arena

Train to Vienna and stay there for 1 day

Train to Bratislava and stay there for 2 days

Train to Budapest and stay there for 2 days

Train to Zagreb and stay there for 2 days

Train to Ljubljana and stay there for 2 days

Train to Venice and stay there for 2 days

Train to Rome and stay there for 3 days

• St. Peter's Square
  • Trevi Fountain
  • Ancient Rome Tour

Fly back to Manchester.

I went ferry to Amsterdam, straight on a train to Berlin, then Prague - Krakow - Vienna - Milan  - Barcelona - back up to Amsterdam via Paris last summer.

Krakow is mint.  The women are beautiful, as is the city, and the lager (good old Tyskie and Zywiec) is dirt cheap.  80p a pint in some places.  Go there.  You can see Prague in a day as well to be honest.  I'd try and fit in an extra day in Berlin, its mint.  Plenty to see and do.

Also, does that interrail pass only allow 10 single journeys?  If so you might want to make sure you don't need to make connections that 'waste'  one of them.  We got the one month continuous pass, made it that bit easier.

Finally, let this be your saviour.  It will tell you if your trains are direct or not and whether or not you'll need to pay additional supplements.  http://plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/query.exe/en?L=profi&

Loads of cheap flights to Berlin Schoenfeld - Bryan's air fly there from East Mids & L'pool.

I'd recommend spending longer than 1/2 days in places if possible as you'll not really get a feel for the places. Stay longer in Vienna than Bratislava - far bigger and more to see although Brat is a fair bit cheaper. On my Croatia thread people said Zagreb was pretty shit n all so might not be necessary to spend to long there. If possible goto Florence when you're in Italy - beautiful place. Go to Lake Bled in Slovenia if you can. I'd recommend eating in the Pilsner Urquell restaurants in Prague and Brat if you get the chance - good traditional food, cheap and litre beers.

If you have a certain amount of connections just pay seperate between Vienna and Brat its like 8euro or something and only takes 45mins and use a connection somewhere else.

Oh and www.bahn.de is your friend for train times everywhere in Europe.

Also on Prague, beer is cheap if you go in the right places.  Its not in the 'Old Town' and around the main square.  However go to the bars on the banks of the Vitava (Old Town side, not Castle side) are cheap.

Get yourself to Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs140.snc1/5969_101580774261_614014261_2176516_6242234_n.jpg

tip for prague...get a two day tram pass. it's quite a small city centre and easily walkable but its good fun to jump on a tram then just jump off when you see another coming down the road.

I'd skip Vienna, as well, tbh.

Worth a day at least IMO. The Palace is amazing and in the city there are some beautiful buildings.

On a side note, the Austrians are tall bunch.

Worth a day at least IMO. The Palace is amazing and in the city there are some beautiful buildings.

Aye, but I s'pose I'd rather take the extra day somewhere else. I mean, two days in Berlin is nothing.

Aye, but I s'pose I'd rather take the extra day somewhere else. I mean, two days in Berlin is nothing.

I'd agree with you there but its worth a stop for a few hours at least. You could easily spend a week in Berlin without getting bored IMO. Brilliant city.

I'd agree with you there but its worth a stop for a few hours at least. You could easily spend a week in Berlin without getting bored IMO. Brilliant city.

Well, the trouble with all these trips is that you try to see too many places in one go.

Well, the trouble with all these trips is that you try to see too many places in one go.

With a trip this close to home (UK) I'd agree with you but when i went on my jaunt round the world I'd disagree I got to see a hell of a lot in a comparatively short space of time but that has only whetted my apetite to go back to those places i really enjoyed if i ever can.

With a trip this close to home (UK) I'd agree with you but when i went on my jaunt round the world I'd disagree I got to see a hell of a lot in a comparatively short space of time but that has only whetted my apetite to go back to those places i really enjoyed if i ever can.

Aye, I suppose you have to go there first to see if it's worthwhile sticking around.

Whenever I read these threads about peoples travels I feel ridiculously jealous. I've seen very little of this world and I have a real thirst for culture and historical places. My wife on the other hand likes beaches, swimming pools and sunshine. She doesn't even swim FFS!

Guest optimistic nit

budapest is really nice, plenty of cheap and scenic hostels on the danube and lots of fantastic resteraunts that are really cheap. I would cut out bratislava all together. heard its pretty dull and if i were you i'd spend the 2 days at other locations.

1 day isn't really enough for vienna, but its one of the most expensive cities i've been too so its possibly a good idea if on a strict budget.

I would also consider skipping zagreb. its not bad but all the croats leave it in the summer and go down to the coast so its going to be a bit quiet, but if you're there for museums etc.. then fair do's.

i'd consider an extra day in ljblajana, not really for the city itself (although it is nice) but the lakes bjed and bohinj are good for day trips although you could fit both into a day (although the water in lake bohinj is freezing. lake bled is more touristy than bohinj, if you went to both i would reccomend getting a boat and maybe going for a swim in bled and then going for a walk/cycle around bohinj. didn't do the latter myself but iirc there were a few decent cycle/walk paths and the scenery around bohinj is lovely (there's a waterfall somewhere).

also canyoning on the soca river was expensive, (159 euro iirc for 2 days accomadation, 1 day rafting, 1 day canyoning) but easily the best thing i did last summer.

depending on how variable your plan is the croatian coast is really nice (reccomend zadar, split and dubrovnik) and if you wanted to spend more time in italy there is some lovely coast there as well (cinque terre in between florence and genoa, out of the way quite a bit but great for walking/swimming).

I would skip out venice if it was me, too expensive (more than vienna) and thus you're money doesn't go as far. you really dont get you're money's worth in venice imo, if you are on a budget. I'm sure its brilliant if you have a bit to spend. its also really hot and really crowded.

Depends what you want really, i prefer out doorsie stuff or good nightlife, i'm not massive on museums, architecture and stuff, so if thats what you like then my post probably wont be much use.

as for hostels:

budapest:

East Side Hostel, Budapest, Hungary- stayed here, not exactly 5 star but cheap, good location and good staff. cant find it on hostel world any more.

vienna:

Wombats hostels- they have 2, not exactly cheap (although not bad for vienna) but great location for you (really close to the international train station so ideal if only staying a day). both have their own bar, very good backpacking atmosphere.

ljablana:

Hostel Celica, Ljubljana, Slovenia- you may have heard of it, expensive for slovenia, but in an old prison. there's a bar, shisha room, daily menu (thats fairly cheap iirc), lots of guides on what to do in ljublana. will sort out any excursions you want to do (soca river etc..)

accomadation is very good and cheap in ljubljana though iirc, so if on a budget there are other slightly more central alternatives that are also cheaper.

Guest firetotheworks

I know its a big decision, especially considering I've never been to Rome, but if you go to Nice from Venice, Nice is just fucking beautiful. My mate who did a MASSIVE European tour reckons Bruges is the best place she visited too. Wouldnt mind going.

I know its a big decision, especially considering I've never been to Rome, but if you go to Nice from Venice, Nice is just fucking beautiful. My mate who did a MASSIVE European tour reckons Bruges is the best place she visited too. Wouldnt mind going.

Aye it is Nice (weyhey) down the Cote d'Azur, absolutely fucking extortionate though.

Bruges is lush as well. Nice walkable city, easy on the eye and beer & bait is top notch. http://www.cambrinus.eu/english.htm is a good stockist of all things beer. Nice little cafebar. Bruges shits on Brussels.

Me and 3 mates just booked an interrail trip last night.

Fly to ->Amsterdam

Berlin

Prague

Krakow

Bratislava

Budapest <- Fly back to Glasgow

2 nights in each, 5 days in 10 travelling and a few extra days in budapest at the end, not too long but short on moneys!

FabregAsh, when are you going? Would be cool if we crossed paths! Your route looks really cool, sure you'll enjoy it  :thup: