Compare - starting XI 2008/2009 vs. current

David28
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This question came to my mind now. In 2008 with KK in charge, some on here (me as well) were dreaming about Europe or at least a top 8 finish in the Premier League. But which first XI is the better? The one we have now or the one we would  have had with nobody injured in 08/09?

Now:                                                                                                                                  2008/2009

Harper                                                                                                                                            Given

Simpson               Taylor                         Coloccini                Enrique                                                 Beye                     Taylor             Bassong                Enrique

Routledge            Nolan                         Guthrie                      Jonas                                                 Duff                      Butt                 Barton                     Jonas 

Carroll                 Lovenkrands                                                                                                     Owen             Martins (Viduka)

Hope I posted the starting XI's the majority would have chosen.

I somehow think that apart from Given vs. Harper and Simpson vs. Beye our current starting XI is the better one.

I think that Enrique, Coloccini, Guthrie, Jonas and Carroll all improved over that year and that Lovenkrands has become better suited to english football as well. And if Routledge makes the step up to the PL he'll be way better than Duff ever has been in his time for us.

martins was a liability, and a rubbish footballer, as he's proving in the bundesligue

I thought he was awesome.

Yeah, in 2006/2007 season he was on fire. Great memories from those European nights.

Guest neesy111

martins was a liability, and a rubbish footballer, as he's proving in the bundesligue

Yeah, in 2006/2007 season he was on fire. Great memories from those European nights.

1 season out of 3. wow not good enough for a striker on 80k a week and cost 10 million

1 season out of 3. wow not good enough for a striker on 80k a week and cost 10 million

At least we got our money back.

No doubt about it, he was a twat. He had his moments though and I have some very fond memories of him (namely our 4-3 win at tottenham).

The Keegan formation with Martins and Viduka up top and Owen playing in 'the hole' would of ripped the current lot a new one.

Thought that as well. But on the other hand, how often would we have seen this formation? Owen, Viduka and Martins all three weren't available for the whole season. All three at the same time was rare.

No doubt about it, he was a t***. He had his moments though and I have some very fond memories of him (namely our 4-3 win at tottenham).

3-2.

He had 2 good seasons and one poor one where he struggled with form and injuries. I'd take him back in a second for £7m on cheaper wages.

No doubt about it, he was a t***. He had his moments though and I have some very fond memories of him (namely our 4-3 win at tottenham).

It was 3-2, but what a weird game it was. Looking back to that starting 11, we should've lost comfortably, but somehow we won. I'll never forget that wonder goal.

Martins was frustrating at times, sure. But he's about as good as we could expect given our stature at the time and probably the kind of striker we'd be glad to have next season.

Guest palnese

Martins was/is a clown. Just the sort of character you don't want in a scrap.

Agree. He is such a talented footballer, but thick as pig shit on and off the field.