Snooker

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Anyone keeping up with Trump's efforts in the US open 9 ball championship? 

Knocked into losers bracket after a 11-1 defeat to Shaw. 

Shaw was on absolute fire mind, he’d have beat anyone on that form.

Edited by Magpie

• Rich changed the title to Snooker
  • 4 weeks later...

Straight in the veins with that one, was going to post it as well. I actually understand the point he’s making but think it applies a lot for someone on the fringes of being a pro, not someone who’s consistently been in the top ten. He’s such a colossal wanker 

Shaun Murphy said "amateurs should not be allowed in professional tournaments" after suffering a shock first-round exit from the UK Championship, losing 6-5 to China's Si Jiahui in York.

Murphy, who was the UK champion in 2008, forced a deciding frame after falling 5-1 behind, but 19-year-old amateur Si kept his cool to win.

"I am going to sound like a grumpy old man but that young man shouldn't be in the tournament," said Murphy.

"It is not fair, it is not right."

Si fell off the main tour at the end of last season and entered the 128-man tournament in York as an amateur top-up in the field.

He looked as if he had blown his chance, having surged in front only to miss the final blue in the seventh frame.

Murphy, beaten in the World Championship final by Mark Selby earlier this year, hit back by winning four frames in a row - but a missed blue of his own from the penultimate red cost him the match, which finished close to midnight.

An angry Murphy vented his fury afterwards by telling BBC Radio 5 Live: "I feel extremely hard done by that I have lost to someone who shouldn't even be in the building.

"I don't know why we as a sport allow amateurs to compete in professional tournaments. This is our livelihood. This is our living. We are self-employed individuals and not contracted sportsmen. We don't play for a team.

"The other 127 runners and riders in the tournament, it is their livelihood too. It is wrong, in my opinion, to walk into somebody who is not playing with the same pressures and concerns I am.

"He played like a man who does not have a care in the world, because he does not have a care in the world. It is not fair, it is not right.

"I am not picking on him as a young man, he deserved his victory. Amateurs should not be allowed in professional tournaments, the end.

"This is our livelihood. This is how I put food on the table. This is how I earn money. Since turning professional at 15, I have earned the right to call myself a professional snooker player. He hasn't done that. He shouldn't be on the table."

What a colossal dick :lol: 

57 minutes ago, 54 said:

What a colossal dick :lol: 

Another complete bell-end.

There are hundreds of these types in the photography industry at the moment. They all run the same line about not being able to feed their kids because of part-timers. They never consider the fact that the industry has been in decline for over a decade, with newspapers/magazines paying pennies per photo now and not hundreds of pounds. They've all been living charmed lives where they work a handful of hours per week doing 2-3 football matches, sitting on their arses the rest of the time and expecting a full time wage. The industry has moved on massively, yet they can't grasp the idea that someone with a bit of ability might also be willing to graft all week in another job as well. Similar to snooker, there are top end guys who have no problem drawing full-time money from photography. Like Murphy, though there are plenty of so-called professionals who are crying for protection when their product isn't as good as what amateurs can provide.

It quickly shows the character of these people when they feel that their industry owes them a living regardless of their current performances.

Murphy crying on Instagram too [emoji38]Saying he played through an injury and severe pain and still nearly won, took photos and signed autographs so it's harsh he's getting stick. 

Result was glorious enough without the meltdown.

Bought tickets for the evening quarter final next Thursday for this, was only £11 a ticket. Hopefully get to see Ronnie. 

Finish work at 5 so gonna be tight getting down to and all parked up etc in York for half 7, given the current state the A1 is. 

On 24/11/2021 at 18:19, Jaqen said:

Murphy crying on Instagram too [emoji38]Saying he played through an injury and severe pain and still nearly won, took photos and signed autographs so it's harsh he's getting stick. 

Result was glorious enough without the meltdown.

Murphy tried to qualify for the British Open golf a few years back, the hypocritical hippo.

Great to see two younger players make the UK Championship final; Luca Brecel and Zhao Xintong. By far and away the biggest game of both of their careers.

They played incredible attacking snooker to win their semis today, hope they can keep it together for tomorrow. Winner also takes the 16th spot for The Masters.