The Bradford Fire

Guest toonlass

Guest toonlass

There has just been a really moving tribute piece on Football Focus, with Gabby Logan, Terry Yorath and others talking about the Bradford Fire. It really does come across as the forgotten tragedy, 25 years since 56 people were killed. I didn't realise there was still a blanket ban on showing the video footage of the tragedy, which I remember quite vividly being shown on the TV at the time. When you think about the coverage that the Hillsborough disaster still gets, it shows a sort of dignity (for want of a better phrase) that the Bradford disaster is more low key.

Good tribute, I can't quite understand people not going to the last game of the season though.  The game has changed so much since then and it may bring back memories but surely it is a time to remember.

We played away at Norwich that day and I knew nothing about it until watching the news at our B&B.  Everybody was talking about the fire that night, I'll never forget it.

Guest toonlass

There is a good book "4 minutes from Hell" that is about this. I can recommend it, but it is a very difficult, emotional read.

When you think about the coverage that the Hillsborough disaster still gets, it shows a sort of dignity (for want of a better phrase) that the Bradford disaster is more low key.

Absolutely.

I too remember it really vividly. If i remember right, which isn't guaranteed as i was 7 or 8 at the time, the final scores were about to come in on grandstand and they cut live to the ground. It was horrific.

As i side note, a friend of mine had some mental issues about 5 years back and for a couple of months he was in a nut-house in bradford with the groundskeeper type bloke from valley parade. Who still hadn't receovered. Mind you, he claimed to be the groundskeeper. The guy i the room on the other side claimed to be john lennon.

Guest toonlass

When you think about the coverage that the Hillsborough disaster still gets, it shows a sort of dignity (for want of a better phrase) that the Bradford disaster is more low key.

Absolutely.

I too remember it really vividly. If i remember right, which isn't guaranteed as i was 7 or 8 at the time, the final scores were about to come in on grandstand and they cut live to the ground. It was horrific.

Aye. I remember seeing it on the TV, and I think it must have been Grandstand as that was all there was at the time,  :lol: ,  and being about 10. It was horrific tbh. And when you read the names of those who died, there were quite a few family groups, which must have been absolutely horrendous for those left behind.

I had heard about it but new very little about it. It is amazing that this tragedy gets very little coverage, compared to others such as Heysel or Hilssbrough. Those images are extremely shocking, i  can't imagine what it would have been like to be there.

Guest toonlass

Never heard of this. Not living in England I haven´t seen any coverage of football disasters other than the Hillsborough.

My Uncle died in the Ibrox disaster in 1971, when 66 people died when a stairway collapsed at the end of an Old Firm game.

I've just been reading a little more into this and apparently Bradford had already taken delivery of new steel girders for improvements to the stand which would have made it impossible for this disaster to of happened, they were just waiting for that final game to of been played. :weep:

I've just been reading a little more into this and apparently Bradford had already taken delivery of new steel girders for improvements to the stand which would of made it impossible for this disaster to of happened, they were just waiting for that final game to of been played.  :weep:

have

Guest Phil K

I went to the reserve match that day, and remember coming out at HT and there was a weird sense of something unreal - I had sat in the old stand and looked around at the rubbish and and the fact it was wooden stand had me wondering how much of a fire risk is that (sounds convenient, but I swear thats just what I was thinking that very day) I got home - tedious 0-0 at the time, and wanted to get ready to go out - and they were playing it out on the telly. Felt quite sick watching, but you just can't turn away can you ?

f***ing hell. That's horrible, i hadn't even heard of it

That's because it didn't happen in Liverpool.

Oh dear. Accurate though.

Or Sheffield.

I think he meant TO Liverpool.