Benoît Assou-Ekotto: 'I play for the money. Football's not my passion'

Guest geordienorway

Guest geordienorway

The Tottenham defender admits to being a mercenary as he seeks to escape the game's unreal world

If there is one thing guaranteed to vex Benoît Assou-Ekotto, it is hypocrisy. The trouble is, as the Tottenham Hotspur defender acknowledges, his working environment, the parallel universe that is the Premier League, is bogged down in the stuff. It is evident in so many areas but the one that he chooses to highlight involves the interviews that players give to television. Assou-Ekotto has seen it time and time again. Players that he knows to express one view in private, usually strident and expletive-laden, switch to bland when the camera rolls.

"I say: 'Come on, you have two personalities?'" Assou-Ekotto says. "I can't listen to people when they speak like that. I know that they lie, and I hate lies. Me, I am not like that. I am honest all of the time, although the truth is not always good to say."

Assou-Ekotto is the top-level footballer who cuts through the hypocrisy to break what his peers may consider as taboos. The Premier League, he feels, is a shallow and bizarre world, in which friendships are transitory and the hangers-on, particularly the kiss-and-tell girls, are dangerous. He says what plenty of people think. But it is when he discusses his motivation for being a professional that his honesty hits home. To him, football is little more than a job and the driving force has always been the money.

"If I play football with my friends back in France, I can love football," he says. "But if I come to England, where I knew nobody and I didn't speak English … why did I come here? For a job. A career is only 10, 15 years. It's only a job. Yes, it's a good, good job and I don't say that I hate football but it's not my passion.

"I arrive in the morning at the training ground at 10.30 and I start to be professional. I finish at one o'clock and I don't play football afterwards. When I am at work, I do my job 100%. But after, I am like a tourist in London. I have my Oyster card and I take the tube. I eat.

"I don't understand why everybody lies. The president of my former club Lens, Gervais Martel, said I left because I got more money in England, that I didn't care about the shirt. I said: 'Is there one player in the world who signs for a club and says, Oh, I love your shirt?' Your shirt is red. I love it. He doesn't care. The first thing that you speak about is the money.

"Martel said I go to England for the money but why do players come to his club? Because they look nice? All people, everyone, when they go to a job, it's for the money. So I don't understand why, when I said I play for the money, people were shocked. Oh, he's a mercenary. Every player is like that."

Assou-Ekotto describes life in the Premier League as following the plot lines to a film. "You read the paper, it's like a movie," he says. The 26-year-old is referring to the more scurrilous stories on the news pages. "Very bizarre … only in England. That's why football is not my passion because when you are professional, the world of football is not good. There are people around you only because you play football; the girls, the same. I have my girlfriend, who I met when I was 18, 19, and I do not want to lose her because when you are a footballer it's not good to meet a new girl at 26."

What of his relationship with Tottenham team-mates? "I have a good feeling with [Aaron] Lennon and [Jermain] Defoe, more these two players but I have a feeling with everybody. I have a problem with nobody. But I have nobody on the phone, except [Adel] Taarabt, who is on loan at QPR and I know from Lens. I only call him. I don't call footballers in my team. I don't believe in friendships in football."

Assou-Ekotto's father, David, introduced him to the game. He had come from Cameroon to France as a 16-year-old to play professionally for Nice and when later he became the coach of Roclincourt & Beaurin, an amateur team, Assou-Ekotto followed them every weekend. It was as much the fear, however, of a modestly paid life within the four walls of an office that drove him to make the sacrifices to become a footballer.

"I knew for a fact that I didn't like school and I also knew that I didn't want to work in an office where I would be paid €1,500-a-month and, at the end of my career, be able to buy a little suburban apartment or something," he says. "Where it became definitive for me was at 16, when I was expelled from school because I was no longer paying attention. I had nothing to fall back on and this forms part of my attitude to football. I give it my very best, being as efficient and professional as possible, because it's all that I have."

Assou-Ekotto argues that his attitude to the job ought not to concern Tottenham's fans because he always switches on his total commitment in matches and training. "Whatever attitude you bring to it, it doesn't matter as long as you are 100% professional, the coach can say: 'He is good enough,' and you are prepared to lose a tooth or an eye for the club, which I am," he says.

Assou-Ekotto has thrived under Harry Redknapp but things were more difficult under previous Tottenham managers Martin Jol and Juande Ramos, with whom he had problems. He also lost any respect for Damien Comolli, the club's ex-sporting director, who brought him from Lens in June 2006.

"Comolli, oh la la, la la," Assou-Ekotto says, having let out a long, low whistle. "I have one simple rule; try to be a man all your life. I said to Comolli that I had a problem with Jol but he said it was all in my head. But then, after Jol left, he said: 'Yes, there was a problem.' Try to be a man!

"With Jol, he had a hierarchy within the team, everybody didn't have the same starting point. He also said to me that I didn't smile a lot. Ramos was always picking little fights. He told me that I was too aggressive in training. I said, 'We don't do tennis, we play football. You think that we are in Spain but we are in England, my friend'.

"With Harry, it's cool. We don't speak a lot and he doesn't care if I smile or if I know who the next team we play is. If I do my job well, it's OK. He is doing simple things that the previous two managers couldn't even think of. He is straightforward and he doesn't play games."

Assou-Ekotto is beginning to look ahead to the World Cup finals with Cameroon. Although he was born in France and has a French mother, there has never been any issue over his allegiance. Like many young people in France born to an immigrant parent or parents, he feels that "the country does not want us to be part of this new France. So we identify ourselves more with our roots.

"Me playing for Cameroon was a natural and normal thing. I have no feeling for the France national team; it just doesn't exist. When people ask of my generation in France, 'Where are you from?', they will reply Morocco, Algeria, Cameroon or wherever. But what has amazed me in England is that when I ask the same question of people like Lennon and Defoe, they'll say: 'I'm English.' That's one of the things that I love about life here."

Before South Africa Assou-Ekotto is on the brink of history with Tottenham. They entertain Bolton Wanderers this afternoon, with a place in next season's Champions League within their grasp. "It would be good for the team, the club and the supporters … they'd enjoy it," he says. "But for me, it would be just another set of games. When we play Liverpool and Chelsea, it's like the Champions League anyway so for me …"

Assou-Ekotto shrugs. It is only a job.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/01/benoit-assou-ekotto-tottenham-hotspur

Refreshing and honest.  Not what some fans would want to hear though I'd expect.

Wouldn't get anywhere near my team with that kind of mentality (if I was an EPL manager...).

Guest firetotheworks

Fair enough. David Batty was the same. Played football as a trade he was skilled in.

If it motivates him enough to put in the work and decent shifts, why not.

But yeah, questions might be asked whether he'd put in the necessary passionate tackle when needed.

Guest toonlass

Agree with Dresden with the refreshing and honest comment. I would say that 99.9% of top-level footballers are mercenaries, and that its the money that motivates them, but they won't say that. I would prefer people to say "I am here for the money, I will give 100% while I am on the field, but don't expect me to say its all about what great fans/history/lovely shirt you have." We all know that the badge kissers would kiss any team badge if it meant an extra £5-10 grand a week.

Agree with Dresden with the refreshing and honest comment. I would say that 99.9% of top-level footballers are mercenaries, and that its the money that motivates them, but they won't say that. I would prefer people to say "I am here for the money, I will give 100% while I am on the field, but don't expect me to say its all about what great fans/history/lovely shirt you have." We all know that the badge kissers would kiss any team badge if it meant an extra £5-10 grand a week.

Spot on.

We all know that in this day and age it is often the case, it's nice to see a player finally admitting it.

The question is: knowing that A-E is only playing 'for the money', would you take him in your team?

He wouldn't get anywhere near my team.  Think I made this comment in my first post, but I want to see other peoples opinion.

The question is: knowing that A-E is only playing 'for the money', would you take him in your team?

He wouldn't get anywhere near my team. Think I made this comment in my first post, but I want to see other peoples opinion.

They all play for money, man.

"Where it became definitive for me was at 16, when I was expelled from school because I was no longer paying attention. I had nothing to fall back on and this forms part of my attitude to football. I give it my very best, being as efficient and professional as possible, because it's all that I have."

Assou-Ekotto argues that his attitude to the job ought not to concern Tottenham's fans because he always switches on his total commitment in matches and training. "Whatever attitude you bring to it, it doesn't matter as long as you are 100% professional, the coach can say: 'He is good enough,' and you are prepared to lose a tooth or an eye for the club, which I am," he says.

How can you ask for more than that?

yes i would take him into my team... at least he has purpose to work well inside my team... MONEY!

all i need to order & motivate him is to play well or i wont pay you..... i like straight forward people & defo easy to handle & not so much drama....

I'd say a lot are. but there is going to be an 'elite few' who are in it to win things.

As Ronaldo pointed out earlier, it will be noticeable.

I'd say a lot are. but there is going to be an 'elite few' who are in it to win things. 

As Ronaldo pointed out earlier, it will be noticeable.

He wouldn't get anywhere near my team.  Think I made this comment in my first post, but I want to see other peoples opinion.

"Where it became definitive for me was at 16, when I was expelled from school because I was no longer paying attention. I had nothing to fall back on and this forms part of my attitude to football. I give it my very best, being as efficient and professional as possible, because it's all that I have."

How can you ask for more than that?

There might be a few for who the sport is their life, but outside of that small number you find a lot of players playing solely for the money with no care about professionalism and doing their job to the best of their ability.

This reminds me of the time I got called into a meeting when I worked at the halifax. Supposedly they had reason to believe I wasn't fully devoted to my role, even going as far as lacking interest in the company and its performance.

:mackems:

They all play for the money. Some will also be playing for the sport, to prove themselves in a profession they enjoy. Doesnt sound like hes bothered whether he wins anything at any point. Hes honest about his own ideas which is good to see, doesnt mean he represents everyone else.

Haven't got a single problem with this.

This.

Very refreshing to hear.  Sounds like he really has his head on straight and knows how to treat being a professional.

it's a truth we all know but don't want to hear as it breaks the bond between them and us.

"That's why football is not my passion because when you are professional, the world of football is not good. There are people around you only because you play football; the girls, the same. I have my girlfriend, who I met when I was 18, 19, and I do not want to lose her because when you are a footballer it's not good to meet a new girl at 26."

Sounds to me like the guy has a pretty good head on his shoulders and doesn't get too sucked into the false and pretentious lifestyle that surrounds him as a footballer. At least I wouldn't have to worry about him doing a Terry or Ashley Cole eh? Sounds like a top pro to me.

I think the real sign of whether a player is professional is whether they are improving from when they first break into the scene until they lose their legs.

The game has changed a lot since a couple of decades ago when often players didn't peak until much older. These days we are writing off players at 21, and perhaps this is down to the fact that players are less motivated to improve themselves and happy to stick with what they've got.

Rooney and Milner are examples of players who have continually improved and will continue to improve.

This shows the importance of the manager and the general squad spirit which must be one where the youngsters are not encouraged to make do with the high wealth they've got, but to develop their own personal aspirations.

At Newcastle you couldn't say this has happenned in the past, Milner would have probably got better but he is a rare case. However I think we are getting there now, and the challenge will be improving the standard of the core players at the club without sacrificing the culture. If we do this, we should be able to get much more out of any talented signings we make compared to what we have seen in the past.