Darren Fletcher - I nearly joined Toon

Nobby

Darren Fletcher has revealed a host of clubs were in for him before he signed for Manchester United.

He said: "When I had a few clubs after me someone said you should always sign for the best. Liverpool, Newcastle, Celtic and Rangers all wanted me and some of the London clubs were interested too.

"But I decided not even to go and train with any of them. It was bad enough leaving home but to leave to live in London? In the end I just couldn't see past Manchester United.

"It was giving me the chance to work under the best manager you can find at one of the biggest clubs on the planet. And I certainly haven't been disappointed with Sir Alex.

"He's simply a world-class coach, different class when it comes to tactics and the gaffer is also great at motivation and man-management. The boss looked after me when I was younger. If I needed to go home he always made sure there was a flight available and I could go up the road to see my family.

"Sir Alex knew I sacrificed a lot when I left home and made sure I never regretted it or became too homesick in my early days.

"He's been a father figure to me and many of the other boys. But he is an intimidating man to talk to.

"People often ask me if I have spoken to my manager and I'll say 'no' - he's not the type of person you approach and speak to.

"You have respect for the man and what he's done.

"He still has that certain presence when he walks into the room."

Guest DazzaNufc1892

know the guy, really really nice fella, still cant drive though lol. Would be a good player for us, works hard, battles, uses the ball well, everythings simple. Problem is hes a centre midfielder, whenever hes played there, hes played well, simple.

Another Nicky Butt for me, most of the players carry him in games, his career will nose dive when he leaves Man Utd.

Think so, but i'd still have him here for free to back-up the 1st team.

Shame were not bringing that kind of quality through as they'd help when injuries strike this cursed club, and you'd make some pennies off them when the time is right to sell.

Sorry i dont even think he is that good. Certainly not shedding tears over it.

Hardly I nearly joined the Toon either. We were interested "Supposedly", even so, he would have picked either of the two scottish teams then liverpool before us if he hadnt gone to Manchester.

If Pattison was playing week in and out at Manure im sure he would be just as good, he is one of the worst players at Manure.