Hughton NOTW interview

Dave

Worthy of a thread IMO.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/800934/HUGH-THE-DADDY-IN-TOON-RETURN-TO-BIG-TYNE.html

HUGH THE DADDY IN TOON RETURN TO BIG TYNE

'I never dreamt I'd be Newcastle boss, but now I'm ready to be ruthless'

By Marty Hardy, 01/05/2010

TWO uninvited French agents are blocking Chris Hughton's path at the entrance to Newcastle's training ground.

Hughton is not best impressed.

"You should have booked an appointment if you wanted to see me," he tells them tersely.

"I have three more meetings this afternoon. You can wait if you want and see if I have time left when they are finished."

Barely a Gallic word is muttered in reply.

The News of the World is meeting number two, an hour later.

Hughton has had a day of camera shots and end-of-season DVDs.

This is not to say we are seeing Chris Hughton unmasked. He is still polite, slightly guarded and carries a natural caution.

But Hughton is more aware of what he has achieved this season and he bristles at the suggestion that player power has taken Newcastle up. Or that the dressing room polices itself.

"I will always have the final say on anything," he said.

"I've had to make tough decisions all season and we wouldn't have had the season we have had if I had not done.

"It is impossible not to have enough steel. When you're making decisions, a lot of them are very hard, on team selection, on discipline, on a way of playing.

"I don't know if you have to be any more ruthless going into the Premier League, but I am ready to make more tough decisions.

"Do I feel I am able to make those decisions? Yes, that goes with the territory.

"Whatever decisions I have to make, I will make.

"The players have worked hard to protect the spirit they have got. They have worked hard to get on well together. It is built from what they have gone through.

"What you do have are experienced players like Steve Harper, Nicky Butt, Alan Smith, Kevin Nolan and Shola Ameobi. What you want to do is use that.

"Any successful team would use the experience you've got in the team and in the squad. We have a very tight unit here.

"The only danger is if it gets exaggerated more than it is. We have a very healthy situation here.

"It's not a question of them policing the dressing room but there will be times when they might put something to me. Ultimately it will be my decision on whether I think it's right or not. That's the norm.

"The over-riding thing on all of this is that I have always had, and will always have, the final say on everything."

It is easy to forget the Tyneside storm, literally, that Hughton walked in to when he joined Newcastle as defensive coach under Kevin Keegan 26 months ago.

"When I arrived here I never imagined one day being the manager," he added.

"In our game you never rule anything out. I had been through situations at Tottenham when it was a big surprise that the manager got the sack.

"I've experienced a lot of real surprises, but not like this.

"I came here in February 2008. If someone had said to me that two-and-a-half years later I would be manager and we'd just got promoted back to the Premier League I would have said no chance, no chance at all."

He was first handed what looked the most poisoned of chalices when Keegan left amid such acrimony later that same year.

Anarchy reigned on that first day as caretaker, when Hull left St James' Park victorious and the natives collectively demanded the banishment of the Londoners.

Did it not put him or his family off?

"They were not perturbed at all about the whole Cockney mafia thing.

"It was a support that was showing their passion. That is how they are. What we have to do is work through that and give them something to smile about.

"There were no reservations at all from my family when I got the job full time, none at all. They knew if the opportunity for me to take this job came up then I would take it.

"If you have a team winning football matches it can certainly change a lot.

"I don't think it's important that I am lower profile than the managers who have gone before me.

"Whether it's someone with a loud personality that shouts from the rooftops, or someone with a different personality that doesn't, all that matters is the individual has won enough football matches to take this team up. Fortunately for me, it was me."

Hughton was technically three times caretaker before he finally got the full-time reigns off owner Mike Ashley last November.

Newcastle have romped through the championship. They have not lost at home all season. They can pass 100 points at QPR with a draw today. They have lost only four league games all season.

But there remains a vastly different feel in comparison to the club Keegan led to similar success 17 years previously, and Hughton knows it.

"Where the club is this time is completely different to where the club was in 1993," he added.

"We are going through a different financial time. I don't see a massive influx of players and I don't see there being a massive turnover in players here.

"I am mindful we have a team that has momentum and a lot of players have developed well. We have a lot of players who deserve a chance next year.

"The most important aim next season is that we stay in the division. What we do over the summer will give us an indication of expectations next season.

"More than anything, the most important thing is the club going in to the Premier League is we are able to have a period of stability.

"I don't think anybody can expect a Newcastle team going from the Championship into the Premier League to be knocking on the door of Europe. I don't see that happening.

"I have not had a chat with Mike Ashley yet but I will and my responsibility is to push for what I think we need. My responsibility is also to work within any financial structure.

"Once it's ascertained where I think we need to strengthen, it is my responsibility to push for that.

"Of course I am in a stronger position than I was this time last season.

"What I am at this moment is a manager taking a team into the Premier League. I have to make sure that come the first game next season we are in a position to compete.

"There will be no stipulations but I do believe we have a squad that deserves an opportunity. Is there anyone I can particularly see going? No. My responsibility is to add what I think I need to the squad."

"I will always have the final say on anything,"

"The over-riding thing on all of this is that I have always had, and will always have, the final say on everything."

:undecided:

I think he was commenting on having the final say over the player commitee (Butt, Smith et al), and what goes on within the squad. Not over everything at the club. Doubt he's that naive.

I think he was commenting on having the final say over the player commitee (Butt, Smith et al), and what goes on within the squad. Not over everything at the club. Doubt he's that naive.

Aye, just hoping he isn't tempting fate with the wording.

One of the most refrehing things about this season is the lack of media 'exclusives' and 'relevations' from the boss and Ashley. They've let the football do the talking and have played everything with a flat bat - for which they both deserve credit. Not sure why Hughton is suddenly giving the rags the time of day now tbh. 

One of the most refrehing things about this season is the lack of media 'exclusives' and 'relevations' from the boss and Ashley. They've let the football do the talking and have played everything with a flat bat - for which they both deserve credit. Not sure why Hughton is suddenly giving the rags the time of day now tbh.   

hes bored probably nothing to do really with season over

there is enough dross in the premier league to ensure promotion with a commited squad and a few additions.the most important thing is a great squad morale,which chris hughton seems to realise.here's hoping for a solid season with a great home record and a slow steady build

He's got the most important 3 months of his life coming up as far as I'm concerned. He's got to find us 5 players (minimum) who are going to keep us up and his reputation as a manager will be decided on how he does. He hasn't got time to chit-chat with the shithouses in the press.

there is enough dross in the premier league to ensure promotion with a commited squad and a few additions.the most important thing is a great squad morale,which chris hughton seems to realise.here's hoping for a solid season with a great home record and a slow steady build

He's got the most important 3 months of his life coming up as far as I'm concerned. He's got to find us 5 players (minimum) who are going to keep us up and his reputation as a manager will be decided on how he does. He hasn't got time to chit-chat with the shithouses in the press.

conflicting views with you lot like! i lean a bit more towards the former...but in reality a little closer to the middle...

If you look at the squads (and key players) from a number of teams like fulham, stoke, Birmingham and Bolton it doesn't seem that much of a leap to think that our squad plus 3-4 improvements can compete with these as long as stability and team spirit are there.

Seriously look at their squads and some of their regular players (some will be very familiar as players the majority of us either couldn't wait to get rid of/were dreading the prospect of signing when linked!)

If you look at the squads (and key players) from a number of teams like fulham, stoke, Birmingham and Bolton it doesn't seem that much of a leap to think that our squad plus 3-4 improvements can compete with these as long as stability and team spirit are there.

Seriously look at their squads and some of their regular players (some will be very familiar as players the majority of us either couldn't wait to get rid of/were dreading the prospect of signing when linked!)

fulham especially i look at their squad and see little of what id call quality apart from hangeland and recently zamora yet they're in a European final without having suffered a major league hangover. Shows what a good manager can do

I really hope it's true. We'll see.

He probably saw the the two french agents, thought "shit, i can't be arsed to deal with this" and just went "Sorry, I've got a meeting with....errrm....*grabs NOTW reporter* this guy..." and ran into his office :laugh: