Travel advice in London

davy_fulla

I've got a job interview down in the smoke next week and am just trying to work out the best way to get there. The interviews in south woodford. The cheapest train I could find from Newcastle is 140 quid which I'm not paying. I really can't be bothered with the hassle of driving either. What I'd like to do ideally is easyjet it as it's canny cheap and stress free. Question is how easy is it to get from stansted to south woodford? Cheers guv!

Use the journey planner at www.tfl.gov.uk mate - :thup:

Yeah spot on, I'm using that thing all the time.

Better still I think there's an App for it. There's definitely a mobile WAP version too. It's a must have for me when I'm in town.

Train from Stanstead to Kings Cross/Euston is about an hour. Then just put the postcode in googlemaps and find the nearest tube stop?

Trains from Stansted go to Tottenham Hale and Liverpool Street. Takes about 45 minutes.

The East Coast mainline trains from Newcastle arrive in at Kings Cross.

Other than that tfl.gov.uk is definitely the way to go.

Also, I can't see Easy Jet being that much cheaper. Is it really worth the extra fanny on? Keep in mind all the waiting around, checking baggage, passing through security, etc.

Train from Stanstead to Kings Cross/Euston is about an hour. Then just put the postcode in googlemaps and find the nearest tube stop?

Trains from Stansted go to Tottenham Hale and Liverpool Street. Takes about 45 minutes.

The East Coast mainline trains from Newcastle arrive in at Kings Cross.

Other than that tfl.gov.uk is definitely the way to go.

Also, I can't see Easy Jet being that much cheaper. Is it really worth the extra fanny on? Keep in mind all the waiting around, checking baggage, passing through security, etc.

Also - when's the last time volcanic ash stopped a train from travelling? I'd go with the train, mate...likely to be further hassles with air travel in coming weeks.

If you take the plane to Stansted, then as mentioned grab the Stansted Express to Liverpool Street Station, change there for the Central Line on the Tube which goes to South Woodford Station.

South Woodford is miles out - allow plenty of time from Liverpool STreet - the trains might only be every 15-20 minutes

and is the interview near the tube station - a lot of suburban tube stations don't have much local transport associated with them when you get there

South Woodford is miles out - allow plenty of time from Liverpool STreet - the trains might only be every 15-20 minutes

and is the interview near the tube station - a lot of suburban tube stations don't have much local transport associated with them when you get there

True, all good points there. :nods:

Cheers all for the info.  I've just had another look at the prices - train is £180 return and Easyjet are £95 return.  It's no wonder the trains get a bad name.

I think I'm just gonna drive down to be honest.  It'll be the cheapest option and I won't have to stand around waiting which always gets me stressed.  5hr drive could be a pisser thhough :)

Cheers all for the info.  I've just had another look at the prices - train is £180 return and Easyjet are £95 return.  It's no wonder the trains get a bad name.

I think I'm just gonna drive down to be honest.  It'll be the cheapest option and I won't have to stand around waiting which always gets me stressed.  5hr drive could be a pisser thhough :)

Fucking hell mate, don't drive. It will be a bastard of a drive and you'll arrive absolutely knackered and no use for interview.

f***ing hell mate, don't drive. It will be a b****** of a drive and you'll arrive absolutely knackered and no use for interview.

I know mate but the trains a non starter for that price.  I did fancy flying down but the flight leaves Newcastle at 7am so I'd have to leave the house earlier than if I was driving down then kick about wasting time till the interview at 12.  Just gonna have to take it on the chin i reckon.

f***ing hell mate, don't drive. It will be a b****** of a drive and you'll arrive absolutely knackered and no use for interview.

I know mate but the trains a non starter for that price.  I did fancy flying down but the flight leaves Newcastle at 7am so I'd have to leave the house earlier than if I was driving down then kick about wasting time till the interview at 12.  Just gonna have to take it on the chin i reckon.

Megabus would be better than driving. Plus you could afford an overnight stay in a B&B with the money you save on petrol.

Megabus is ten quid!

Just had a look at megabus mate.  I'd have to leave newcastle at 01:15 to get to London in time.  Nee chance haha!

That's what I did for my interview! And I was fresh as a daisy.

Just got back. Drove in the end and didn't feel tired - even after only 5hrs sleep last night haha.

Got the job offer but i've just got to decide whether to take it. The trouble is it's in Saudi and I've got a young family here. The job would take me back into telecoms which I love and was stupid to leave bt for. I hate my job at the moment and know it's going nowhere for our futures. This Saudi contract would only be for 2yrs and would set us up for life. I'd get home every 12 weeks for a week and would be able to walk into a similar job back in the uk when it's all over.

Bloody nightmare of a decision :(

Where in Saudi Arabia? I was in Jeddah a few months back and found it quite "liberal" compared to Riyadh where I went a few years back.

Riyadh mate. My mates been over there for a year already on one of the compounds and is enjoyig it.