Greek Riots

Guest toonlass

Guest toonlass

A bank has been set on fire, and people have died in the protests in Greece. There are seriously not happy about the proposed austerity measure that the MP's are trying to push through.

A bank has been set on fire, and people have died in the protests in Greece. There are seriously not happy about the proposed austerity measure that the MP's are trying to push through.

Not the MPs, the IMF.

The rulers of Greece are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It's the Shock Doctrine in action...

In return for the lifeline, Papandreou has committed to the most ambitious and draconian reshaping of Greece's welfare state ever attempted.

Spending cuts amounting to more than €36bn or 11% of national GDP are to be made over the next three years.

Wages, pensions, and benefits in Greece's public sector will be cut, and large VAT and other tax rises will be imposed.

The retirement age is to be raised.

The savage programme will inevitably deepen Greece's recession and push up unemployment.

Faced with strong public hostility and possible threats to the longevity of his government, Papandreou is squeezed between intense opposition at home and the pressure of the Germans, the IMF, and the other Europeans.

Scepticism is high as to whether he will be able to deliver on the terms of the pact.

http://www.dominionpaper.ca/weblogs/geordie/3415

Guest toonlass

Thanks HF.

That is a good explanation of what is going on there. The people certainly have taken to the streets. Have you seen the reporter trying to talk through the tear-gas?

Guest firetotheworks

I originally read this as 'Geek Riots'...you can imagine my dismay as I read the opening sentence.

What pisses me off about the Greeks is they can retire at 55. That's a fucking joke, it would go a long way to helping the economy if they weren't paying pentions to those people and paying wages for them to do something useful instead.

What pisses me off about the Greeks is they can retire at 55. That's a f***ing joke, it would go a long way to helping the economy if they weren't paying pentions to those people and paying wages for them to do something useful instead.

if they could pay them wages they may be better paying the younger unemployed.

The Greeeks should quiet themselves. Embarrassing how wasteful and messy that country has been. Taxes are a voluntary thing, many do not pay. Was it 80 percent of Gov't spending on salaries pensions, etc. The country has absolutely massive debt, and would be in serious trouble without outside help (it might still be, tbf). Ridiculous that they want the world to rescue them, and then allow them to continue the acts that caused the problems.

The Greeeks should quiet themselves. Embarrassing how wasteful and messy that country has been. Taxes are a voluntary thing, many do not pay. Was it 80 percent of Gov't spending on salaries pensions, etc. The country has absolutely massive debt, and would be in serious trouble without outside help (it might still be, tbf). Ridiculous that they want the world to rescue them, and then allow them to continue the acts that caused the problems.

err cough "bankers" cough splutter cough

them Greek neighbours are mad, I'm telling you.. I don't understand much economics and shit but it's evident that drastic reforms are needed and the government doesn't possess the courage to apply them.. which is understandable really, as every time a slightly unpopular social measure is taken, millions of psychopaths start burning down the streets

them Greek neighbours are mad, I'm telling you.. I don't understand much economics and shit but it's evident that drastic reforms are needed and the government doesn't possess the courage to apply them.. which is understandable really, as every time a slightly unpopular social measure is taken, millions of psychopaths start burning down the streets

The biggest reform would be to tell them all to start paying their taxes.  Plenty of people in Greece live in extremely expensive houses and lead lavish lifestyles whilst simultaneously claiming that they earn next to nothing and don't need to pay tax.  It'd be like buying a house on Darras Hall Road whilst telling the government that you're earning minimum wage.  Lots of Greeks apparently looking at London properties at the moment, desperate to get out before they're asked to pay up.

That said, they have to sort out their public services properly.  To compensate for low wages and a high cost of living a lot of jobs pay 13 or 14 months wages per year which can't continue.