FA Coaching Badges

Ash

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

As some have said even the level 1 coaching badge has changed a fair bit over the last 4 years, with the FA looking at ways to improve the overall development of young players - physical, technical, pyschological and socially. Though I don't think this will start to show until at least 10 years (the generation being developed). I don't think the FA can force a coach to go abroad to learn, however any coach looking to progress will probably take the option up of their own accord anyway.

With the introduction of the new coaching center in Burton (which I'm going to have to check out), the FA have taken steps to try and replicate whats happened in Germany since 2000. However, with Academys not coming to an agreement over sending their best players there to learn, its sort of fallen back into an elite center for all coaches (Grassroots to the England Manager) to gather resources, share ideas, and learn. So, the FA have looked abroad and have seen the benefits of elite coaching for the elite crop of players coming through - sadly its the clubs themselves, potentially, holding this development back.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/WhatWeDo/NationalFootballCentre

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/20/nfc-burton-on-trent-fa

However, if I'm to think back 10-15 years when I was playing grassroot football, the FA have came a long way already, yet no one really wants take notice of that. When I was kid training was a few quick laps around the field and then a game. Nothing was explained to me, everything was demanded and ordered. It got a bit better as I got older, but was a bit late by then. We'll produce some good talented and technical players, but I hope people give the FA a chance to do so. It won't happen overnight.

However, this is another issue all together. People say why don't way play like Spain. The fact is in Spain their grassroots program and facilities are completely different to England. In England we're lucky that we have plenty of 'soft' grass playing fields, where as in Spain they play on a lot of hard surfaces. As such they don't develop the physical side of their game and have to rely on short passing games to develop an attack (otherwise they'd face a lot of injuries). In England, due to the 'softer' surface of grass, we tend to by more physical, dive into the tackles, try long balls for the forward to battle for. On the flip side, since it is grass, and England has its fairshare of rain, short passing isn't the easiest thing to develop on a wet, sodden, Sunday Morning.

As some have said even the level 1 coaching badge has changed a fair bit over the last 4 years, with the FA looking at ways to improve the overall development of young players - physical, technical, pyschological and socially. Though I don't think this will start to show until at least 10 years (the generation being developed). I don't think the FA can force a coach to go abroad to learn, however any coach looking to progress will probably take the option up of their own accord anyway.

With the introduction of the new coaching center in Burton (which I'm going to have to check out), the FA have taken steps to try and replicate whats happened in Germany since 2000. However, with Academys not coming to an agreement over sending their best players there to learn, its sort of fallen back into an elite center for all coaches (Grassroots to the England Manager) to gather resources, share ideas, and learn. So, the FA have looked abroad and have seen the benefits of elite coaching for the elite crop of players coming through - sadly its the clubs themselves, potentially, holding this development back.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/WhatWeDo/NationalFootballCentre

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/20/nfc-burton-on-trent-fa

However, if I'm to think back 10-15 years when I was playing grassroot football, the FA have came a long way already, yet no one really wants take notice of that. When I was kid training was a few quick laps around the field and then a game. Nothing was explained to me, everything was demanded and ordered. It got a bit better as I got older, but was a bit late by then. We'll produce some good talented and technical players, but I hope people give the FA a chance to do so. It won't happen overnight.

However, this is another issue all together. People say why don't way play like Spain. The fact is in Spain their grassroots program and facilities are completely different to England. In England we're lucky that we have plenty of 'soft' grass playing fields, where as in Spain they play on a lot of hard surfaces. As such they don't develop the physical side of their game and have to rely on short passing games to develop an attack (otherwise they'd face a lot of injuries). In England, due to the 'softer' surface of grass, we tend to by more physical, dive into the tackles, try long balls for the forward to battle for. On the flip side, since it is grass, and England has its fairshare of rain, short passing isn't the easiest thing to develop on a wet, sodden, Sunday Morning.

what?

it's the grass?

is this what they're teaching in schools these days...jesus i've been gone too long

:lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Its not solely the grass, but what I'm trying to say is that we have to battle against the natural development of a nation's football habit. Its like an unwritten Old Man's Club rule as to 'This is how we play football in England', been like that since football began. The Scottish originally developed the quick passing game between each other, while the English hung on to their 'hoof and chase' mentality (there's a great book called 'Inverting the Pyramid' that goes into great detail over this and the rest of football tactics).

What compounds this, is that in England we're quick to develop the physical side of the game and keep a hold of that due to it being our 'strength'.

Think of it this way though, do you have more control over the ball indoors in a 5-a-side playing surface, or outside on a grass pitch? Would you try and develop technical skills on a field outside, that isn't very well maintained by the council, thats uneven, in the wind, in the rain and doesn't drain very well, or would you develop them in doors in a controlled environment, on a solid playing surface?

Spain's pitches are basically like 5-a-side pitches since their fields get baked due to the heat, some of their lower league/grassroot clubs play on harden sand/dirt pitches. If you were to do a typical English tackle on them you'd injury yourself and the other player when they clattered into the ground. This is why technical skills in dribbling and ball controlled have developed well over there. Players stand off, due to not wanting to injury themselves and the other player, which gives the player on the ball time. They'll mark tight, which means the player will have to have good ball control and use the pace of the ball to beat the opposition.

Its not solely the grass, but what I'm trying to say is that we have to battle against the natural development of a nation's football habit. Its like an unwritten Old Man's Club rule as to 'This is how we play football in England', been like that since football began. The Scottish originally developed the quick passing game between each other, while the English hung on to their 'hoof and chase' mentality (there's a great book called 'Inverting the Pyramid' that goes into great detail over this and the rest of football tactics).

What compounds this, is that in England we're quick to develop the physical side of the game and keep a hold of that due to it being our 'strength'.

Think of it this way though, do you have more control over the ball indoors in a 5-a-side playing surface, or outside on a grass pitch?

was just being a dick...i'm sure that physical and environmental factors play a big part, or rather have played a big part in the evolution of football

hotter countries, slower game for example...not sure now the hard pitch thing stacks up but yeah there's a lot to it

as regards your 5-a-side question i'd say more control in 5-a-side, is that wrong :kinnear:

Spain's pitches are basically like 5-a-side pitches since their fields get baked due to the heat, some of their lower league/grassroot clubs play on harden sand/dirt pitches. If you were to do a typical English tackle on them you'd injury yourself and the other player when they clattered into the ground. This is why technical skills in dribbling and ball controlled have developed well over there. Players stand off, due to not wanting to injury themselves and the other player, which gives the player on the ball time. They'll mark tight, which means the player will have to have good ball control and use the pace of the ball to beat the opposition.

That's actually god damn true. Injuried myself many times in tackles on those shit artificial/sand pitches. 5-a-side concrete pitches are even worse.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Bought a few books:

FA Learning: Psychology for Footballhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Guide-Psychology-Football-Association/dp/0340816015 - decent introduction to coaching youngsters, and how best to challenge them mentally.

How to Coach a Soccer Team: Professional Advice on Building a Winning Team  http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Coach-Soccer-Team-Professional/dp/0600610799/ref=pd_sim_b_1 - great book full of coaching drills, with progressions. Perhaps a little too complex for U11s, but a good source for ideas and a starting point.

Those Feet http://www.amazon.co.uk/Those-Feet-Sensual-History-Football/dp/0747579148/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279863150&sr=1-2 - not a coaching book, but a book similar to Calcio/Brilliant Orjange, only it looks into the history and development of football in England. Does a decent job of explaining why we play the style we do (direct kick and chase). A good book to read beside this would be Inverting the Pyramid, which covers the developing of tactics as a whole.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yeah, no worries.

I'd certainly recommend Inverting the Pyramid, which is cheapish at the moment on play.com the history behind the development of football tactics is fantastic. Covers everything from the early days of English kick and chase with 8 strikers up front, to the Scottish developing short passing games, into how Hungry became a world power, with the development of Total Football, etc.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

How much Football are you watching Chris?

As much as ever really, was probably going to start watching other youth teams in the area play too, to get an idea of what other coaches are doing.

Russian Premier - ESPN

U19 - Eurosport

Classic Games - ESPN Classic

Old DVD/Videos

'saved' games

Toon U18s/reserves

Toon

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Bought a few books:

FA Learning: Psychology for Footballhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Guide-Psychology-Football-Association/dp/0340816015 - decent introduction to coaching youngsters, and how best to challenge them mentally.

I'd recommend this one, though perhaps not so much so for those who have coached for a while. Its not in depth by anymeans towards Pyschology, however, it does offer a good basic grounding (similar to what I did at A-Level in part). Worth a flick through in the shop to make a decision thats for sure.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Got the email about it this morning. Prefer to have a look at it before I buy it though, the examples on the site seem decent enough. If I do get it, it won't be this month.

If you're interested in more psychology in football this is a good book,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Momentum-Soccer-Alistair-Higham/dp/1902523733/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280170957&sr=1-1

this is quite good but less theory based but quite applied work,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0736084118/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0736030026&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0P30QE7K3YEWTHRCBD4Z

I've got the first edition not sure how different the second is.

I've got that future game book, the two tutors when on the UEFA B course were talking about how they got them sent from the FA. At the time they thought that it would not be on sale. So when I saw it on the website a couple of months back now, I decided to order one.

It really is a fantastic tool to help with your coaching and session plans, especially for my UEFA B pack (which I really should crack on with). It has all different types of sessions for the different age groups of players.

As much as ever really, was probably going to start watching other youth teams in the area play too, to get an idea of what other coaches are doing.

Russian Premier - ESPN

U19 - Eurosport

Old DVD/Videos

'saved' games

Toon U18s/reserves

Toon

Disappointing that you haven't been watching the U20 Women's world championship!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I've got that future game book, the two tutors when on the UEFA B course were talking about how they got them sent from the FA. At the time they thought that it would not be on sale. So when I saw it on the website a couple of months back now, I decided to order one.

It really is a fantastic tool to help with your coaching and session plans, especially for my UEFA B pack (which I really should crack on with). It has all different types of sessions for the different age groups of players.

Good enough for me - SOLD! Thanks, Caz.

Russian Premier - ESPN

U19 - Eurosport

Old DVD/Videos

'saved' games

Toon U18s/reserves

Toon

Disappointing that you haven't been watching the U20 Women's world championship!

You know, I didn't even know they were on. Eurosport?

Thanks Caz. It does seem to be very good from the brief part I've seen of it.

There appears to be a few decent bits on offer through the FA website, will have a proper look later on. Will also look at what TimoB posted too. :thup:

No problem guys. I'll take a few pictures from inside the book. On talk sport at the moment the whole management/coaching structure is coming under fire because of the England U19's against Spain. 

No problem guys. I'll take a few pictures from inside the book. On talk sport at the moment the whole management/coaching structure is coming under fire because of the England U19's against Spain. 

I would turn it on for a listen but I'm guessing it's that dickhead Durham who's on?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Idiots. If they had won, they'd be saying the Coaching Structure was perfect. Its when they attack grassroots that I get angry. We can teach them all the technical side of the game, but the sad truth is its the Professional Academies that mess it all up. They choose the more physical advanced each and everytime.

Idiots. If they had won, they'd be saying the Coaching Structure was perfect. Its when they attack grassroots that I get angry. We can teach them all the technical side of the game, but the sad truth is its the Professional Academies that mess it all up. They choose the more physical advanced each and everytime.

Totally agree with you there, and then you think how many fantastic technically gifted players have England produced in the last 20 years? A very small amount unfortunately.

Has anyone done the FA Youth Award?

http://www.northumberlandfa.com/Development/CoachEducation/FAYouthAward/

Thinking about it, as the Academy side is where I'd hope to coach in the future, so was looking for some feedback.

I was looking in my file the other day about possible routes in football, and that is the bottom way to reach Managing the entire academy. But you can skip it all by getting the UEFA A Licence and moving straight into it i think.

But one of my Tutors says he highly recommends it.

Guest jeffers09

My level 1/2 came in the post last week done a whole year on it at college was a good laugh

Considering doing level 3 but by the sounds of it its a 100% theory and a 2 year course which i dont really fancy