Nicky Butt

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest nufc_geordie

I have got to say that IMHO, Saturday was Nicky Butt's best performance in black and white. For me he was man of the match. I thought he was the Nicky Butt of old. Absolutely fantastic.

What shocked me though are some of his ratings in the papers yesterday. The Sunday Sun gave him 7/10. Not bad on the face of things, but the joint lowest score of any Newcastle player. Very harsh. The Sunday times gave him a 6/10 that was Newcastle's lowest rating???? What game were they watching. I thought the whole team were excellent but the two poorest players by a country mile were Solano and Duff. I would not be playing either of these two anyway as I feel Le Zog and Milner both offer more in both attacking and defensive situations.

Back to my original point about though. I really wouldn't be too bothered if Emre does decide he wants to leave as I think Butt and Parker are a better gelled centre midfield pairing. Emre is a luxury player with no incisive cutting edge that we just don't need.

It's good to see a top quality player back on his best form.

Good Luck Nicky Butt.

I've said it before, we are better balanced with Butt in midfield. With Emre and Parker both going forward we lose our shape and leave the defence exposed. I also think that Butt, when playing as he can, is a better holding midfielder than Parker

What shocked me though are some of his ratings in the papers yesterday. The Sunday Sun gave him 7/10. Not bad on the face of things, but the joint lowest score of any Newcastle player. Very harsh. The Sunday times gave him a 6/10 that was Newcastle's lowest rating???? What game were they watching.

Football is all about opinions isn't it, I thought Bramble had Henry in his pocket the entire second half, yet aside from a brief comment on nufc.com he was barely mentioned in the media. His best performance of the season, yet it went unnoticed by the london-press, who preferred to concentrate on the Arse.

I thought the whole team were excellent but the two poorest players by a country mile were Solano and Duff. I would not be playing either of these two anyway as I feel Le Zog and Milner both offer more in both attacking and defensive situations.

Duff worked a bit harder this week, which was pleasing to see, but when he gets the ball, he still doesn't do anything with it. Puzzling. Although I do prefer Milner, Solano was picked because of his link-up play with Dyer, something Milner doesn't have yet.

On a side note, I still don't understand why we don't play Solano at Right Back, that way we've got him on the pitch for set-pieces and crossing, but can have Milner or Duff ahead of him to take on the full-back....it's not as though he's never played there before.

Guest theunis

Butt had a good game but he is getting old though, but nothing wrong with that just we need the experience more than anything atm.  And shape does look great with Butt in. Lets hope Rouder gives him another go.

About Solano as RB think his defending a bit poor for that, think milner is a more back tracking and better defending skillz

Guest nufc_geordie

I agree that Solano at right back is as good an option as any. He was the national team captain of Peru and played right back at that level against the likes of Brazil etc. Certainly has the experience to play there. May be worth a look.

Also, Bramble was excellent againt Arsenal. Comfortably his best game for a while.

I agree that Solano at right back is as good an option as any. He was the national team captain of Peru and played right back at that level against the likes of Brazil etc. Certainly has the experience to play there. May be worth a look.

Also, Bramble was excellent againt Arsenal. Comfortably his best game for a while.

Speed had the experience at left back for Wales and look what happened when we played him there, when he was with us.

No thanks.

Speed had the experience at left back for Wales and look what happened when we played him there, when he was with us.

No thanks.

Haha, I remember when Robson dropped Bernard to put Speed in at left-back against Birmingham a few years ago and he conceded the most blatent penalty you'll ever see.  :lol:

No thanks.

Haha, I remember when Robson dropped Bernard to put Speed in at left-back against Birmingham a few years ago and he conceded the most blatent penalty you'll ever see.  :lol:

Exactly, people on here we calling for Speed to be played their aswel!!

Solano would get skinned like a kipper by most left midfielders, would be worse than Carr playing their, IMO.