The Liverpool Thread

Parky

The irony is we might need Liverpool to put a performance on against Chelsea in the league...

We have to count on a Liverpool win again? How many times has that been this season? :laugh:

Seriously, how many times is it? I know the Everton semi was a biggie, but what else?

We needed you to win the League Cup too.

Because our collecting EL spots guaranteed you a place in Europe?

Because otherwise you would have taken the spot for the FA Cup winners/runners up. You took the League Cup one, which means that the FA Cup one now drops to league since both you and Chelsea are qualified for Europe, thus confirming our place in Europe too. If you had lost to Cardiff then 6th wouldn't get into Europe so we'd still be fighting it out with Chelsea and Spurs.

The irony is we might need Liverpool to put a performance on against Chelsea in the league...

We have to count on a Liverpool win again? How many times has that been this season? :laugh:

Seriously, how many times is it? I know the Everton semi was a biggie, but what else?

Because otherwise you would have taken the spot for the FA Cup winners/runners up. You took the League Cup one, which means that the FA Cup one now drops to league since both you and Chelsea are qualified for Europe, thus confirming our place in Europe too. If you had lost to Cardiff then 6th wouldn't get into Europe so we'd still be fighting it out with Chelsea and Spurs.

I thought Cardiff (and Swansea) weren't allowed to compete in Europe through English league participation anyway? Isn't it one of those UEFA rules that apply to the dodgy Home Nations status? Similar to the Team GB being a one off, or else UEFA member nations were going to kick off about "one country when it suits them, four when it doesn't"?

Got you. So if the Carling Cup had been Man Utd vs Man City, 7th would get an EL place, too?

I thought Cardiff (and Swansea) weren't allowed to compete in Europe through English league participation anyway? Isn't it one of those UEFA rules that apply to the dodgy Home Nations status? Similar to the Team GB being a one off, or else UEFA member nations were going to kick off about "one country when it suits them, four when it doesn't"?

I always thought if Swansea or Cardiff did qualify for Europe that they would not automatically compete in the competition. They would have to appeal to UEFA?

Guest bimpy474

From Wiki.

Until 1995, some clubs playing in England close to the Welsh border were also invited to play in the Welsh Cup, but could not progress to the European Cup Winners' Cup by winning the cup.

From 1996 to 2011, only clubs playing in the Welsh football league system were allowed to enter the Welsh Cup. This rule excluded the six Welsh clubs who played in the English football league system: Swansea City, Cardiff City, Newport County, Wrexham, Colwyn Bay and Merthyr Town. On 20 April 2011, the Football Association of Wales invited these six clubs to rejoin the Welsh Cup for the 2011–12 season but only Newport County, Wrexham and Merthyr Town accepted[2]. In March 2012 UEFA stated that Welsh clubs playing in the English football league system could not qualify for Europen competitions via the Welsh cup but they could qualify via the English league and cup competitions

From Wiki.

Until 1995, some clubs playing in England close to the Welsh border were also invited to play in the Welsh Cup, but could not progress to the European Cup Winners' Cup by winning the cup.

From 1996 to 2011, only clubs playing in the Welsh football league system were allowed to enter the Welsh Cup. This rule excluded the six Welsh clubs who played in the English football league system: Swansea City, Cardiff City, Newport County, Wrexham, Colwyn Bay and Merthyr Town. On 20 April 2011, the Football Association of Wales invited these six clubs to rejoin the Welsh Cup for the 2011–12 season but only Newport County, Wrexham and Merthyr Town accepted[2]. In March 2012 UEFA stated that Welsh clubs playing in the English football league system could not qualify for Europen competitions via the Welsh cup but they could qualify via the English league and cup competitions

Cheers mate, I think what I was saying was true pre-March 2012. The new ruling seems fair to me. When Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham qualified through the Welsh Cup in the past that was a tad unfair. They had two chances.

Guest bimpy474

From Wiki.

Cheers mate, I think what I was saying was true pre-March 2012. The new ruling seems fair to me. When Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham qualified through the Welsh Cup in the past that was a tad unfair. They had two chances.

I think when they used to be able to qualify through the Welsh Cup (pre 96), thats when they weren't allowed throught the English system, as i remember it anyway.

It's something I seem to remember when Cardiff reached a FA Cup final a number of years back, there was no guarantee of Europe even if they won the cup, maybe I'm wrong I wouldn't swear to it or anything.

Guest bimpy474

It's something I seem to remember when Cardiff reached a FA Cup final a number of years back, there was no guarantee of Europe even if they won the cup, maybe I'm wrong I wouldn't swear to it or anything.

Aye it was, when they lost to Portsmouth.

Perfect storm, tbh.

In the Rafa years, Chelsea were winning league titles, but they were our bitches in Europe, and we love to wave our European Cups in their faces because they crave one so desperately.

The thought of their having a chance of winning one is awful enough without that Spanish Judas putting them in the final: through all the torment of having wasted £35m on Carroll, we have clung to the slight consolation that Torres to Chelsea was a much worse bit of business :(

For all your distaste of wanting Liverpool to win, having to watch Chelsea get a crack at a European Cup is worse for us :(

I despise Bayern, and if they win, they will equal our 5 European Cups (I think), but I'd rather they win it that Chelsea.

I'd give them a better chance against Chelsea than Real, anyway, because they can deal with physical English sides better. And they've got the home advantage. And fuck all to play for in the league, so they can rest whoever they want till the final.

Go Bayern cunts!

If it's a Real Madrid v Chelsea Final someone better put RAWK on mass suicide watch.  Either Mourinho gets his third one and equals Paisley or Torres gets a Champions League medal.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=292356.4080

Halfway there...

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/freddie-mercury-so-close-pose1.jpg

Fucking Pepe.