The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Capello wants to manage a club in the PL before he packs it in. Reckon he'll be their next manager.

Chelsea was my first thought :) Let's hope he doesn't go to Liverpool though... I think he could make them a good team.

He's not a liverpool type manager. Get him in

Liverpool fan at work is adamant that he wouldn't swap places with us. Considering the trophies they've won in recent years I find that difficult to believe. Would be different for us, obviously.

Why would we want to swap with you? You're in the EL, we're in the EL. We have a cup, you have none. Three almost meaningless league places or a trophy (even a crap one) is a no-brainer.

Ask again after the season is over. If we lose the FA Cup final, and you get into the CL, the answer might be different. If we win the FA Cup, it probably won't be.

I do enjoy laughing at Liverpool's terrible league season, but if we won a cup I would explode with joy, so it's hard to be too hard on them.

I don't agree league places are meaningless though, the entire point of football is to finish as high in the league as you can.

Of course they're not meaningless (which is why I said "almost meaningless"), but if the choice is a few places higher up the league with no additional benefits (winning the league, cup qualification, not getting relegated) or a trophy, I think the trophy is preferable.

The entire point of football isn't to finish as high in the league as you can. Maybe long-term it is, but in any given season that's not necessarily the case. The point is to win stuff. If you've got no chance of winning the league anyway, you're better off concentrating on competitions you can win.

i wouldn't swap with liverpool, no way. shit signings, joke of a manager, laughing stock of football, digusting suarez-gate, humiliated by alleged lesser teams all season. it was important for us to have a good league season this year with positive results and good players to kind of get back on track as a club after relegation and replace some of the big names who have left, rather than fluke a trophy with poor league showings.

Liverpool fan at work is adamant that he wouldn't swap places with us. Considering the trophies they've won in recent years I find that difficult to believe. Would be different for us, obviously.

Why would we want to swap with you? You're in the EL, we're in the EL. We have a cup, you have none. Three almost meaningless league places or a trophy (even a crap one) is a no-brainer.

Ask again after the season is over. If we lose the FA Cup final, and you get into the CL, the answer might be different. If we win the FA Cup, it probably won't be.

Fair enough.  Would not swap squads, managers or stadiums.  Be that physical (real) stadiums or imaginary £50m stadiums...

Guest bimpy474

Every Liverpool fan i've encountered, 7 and counting so far, have been ultra defensive and with bordering psychotic rage, it almost as if they have lost all their sense of humour.

Loving every minute of it me like.

I'd lick my Mother-in-Law's bumhole for a Chelsea win in the Cup Final.

Guest bimpy474

Winning a trophy would be splendid but to suggest league position is irrelevant is nonsense.

Liverpool tout themselves as title contenders each season...and this season was no different.

It's been a disaster for them and no cup trophy will change that.

If we were in flipped positions...we'd be over the moon. Of course we would. But we've never claimed to be title contenders and 7th or 8th would have been a good season for us.

Perfectly put might i say.

Nobody said it was "irrelevant". All I said was that when you're outside the league positions that mean something (winning, Euro qualification, relegation zone), a few places one way or the other don't mean that much. Not as much as an actual trophy, at any rate.

And no, it hasn't been a "disaster". Relegation or bankruptcy would be a disaster. If all the half-decent players in the squad put in transfer requests, it would be a disaster. It's just been shitty. FA Cup win would make it less shitty.

Guest bimpy474

Nobody said it was "irrelevant". All I said was that when you're outside the league positions that mean something (winning, Euro qualification, relegation zone), a few places one way or the other don't mean that much. Not as much as an actual trophy, at any rate.

And no, it hasn't been a "disaster". Relegation or bankruptcy would be a disaster. If all the half-decent players in the squad put in transfer requests, it would be a disaster. It's just been shitty. FA Cup win would make it less shitty.

With the amount of money you spent, its been a disaster that you are going to possibly finish in the bottom half, 8th is about as high as you could get now, if you think that kind of league position and from that kind of spending is anything but a disaster then you are kidding yourself.

Yes you won a trophy, and could win another tomorrow but that only masks a deeper problem, KKK and the squad he has put together isn't good enough, and the main problem is that you have the most average midfield i've seen in a Liverpool side EVER, Gerrard on form aside.

No, you just like to think it's been a disaster because that's more entertaining for you.

The bottom line is, we're going to finish this season with at least one trophy. Is it good enough in face of what we've spent? No. But it's more than 17 of the other clubs in the league will manage this season.

Guest bimpy474

No, you just like to think it's been a disaster because that's more entertaining for you.

The bottom line is, we're going to finish this season with at least one trophy. Is it good enough in face of what we've spent? No. But it's more than 17 of the other clubs in the league will manage this season.

Ahhh you just carry on with this line of thinking, it warms me to my tootsies, i also get a bit of a semi whenever a Liverpool fan says KKK is the right man, hahahaha lovely.

What are your thoughts on Gerrard, Wacko?  He's the wrong side of 30 now and from what i've seen of him when he hasn't been injured he hasn't really looked great.  You think he has long left at the top of the game?  Do you guys have anyone coming through or in the background to replace him?

Guest bimpy474

What are your thoughts on Gerrard, Wacko?  He's the wrong side of 30 now and from what i've seen of him when he hasn't been injured he hasn't really looked great.  You think he has long left at the top of the game?  Do you guys have anyone coming through or in the background to replace him?

Sorry to butt in here, but i personally think Gerrard can play at the highest level for many more years if he reverts to a deeper midfield sitting role, imo he looks perfectly suited to play there especially as he is older now and wont be able bomb around like he is used to doing.

Ahhh you just carry on with this line of thinking, it warms me to my tootsies, i also get a bit of a semi whenever a Liverpool fan says KKK is the right man, hahahaha lovely.

And you enjoy your delusion. Disaster? That's what's happening to Rangers.

How long he can keep it up will depend on whether he can stay fit. These days, he's in and out of the side and rarely makes it to match fitness before he's out again.

We don't have anyone coming through who's anywhere near as good as Gerrard was in his prime. But not many do. I don't think I've ever seen a player like Gerrard. If only he'd had a brain and some tactical awareness, he could have been one of the very best English players ever.

If Liverpoool win on Saturday then to be fair, its been a great season, we would rip our bollocks off for one trophy never mind two.

The league form has been shite, but they'll simply look at is as something to improve on next season. However, with KK in charge I dont think they will. But thats another story.

With the amount of money you spent, its been a disaster that you are going to possibly finish in the bottom half, 8th is about as high as you could get now, if you think that kind of league position and from that kind of spending is anything but a disaster then you are kidding yourself.

Yes you won a trophy, and could win another tomorrow but that only mask a deeper problem, KKK and the squad he has put together isn't good enough, and the main problem is that you have the most average midfield i've ever seen in a Liverpool side EVER, Gerrard on form aside.

I think the real disaster may rear its face when they realize they will have to spend even more money to correct the mistakes of last summer. It's not just the case of being unlucky. Yes they have been unlucky on a few occasions this season, but not on as many as they would like to claim/think. Their squad isn't poor in terms of size, but it is very poor by their standards in terms of quality. Out of last summer's purchases, maybe only Henderson has a real chance of making a dramatic improvement (putting a side that he's been utter rubbish this season and a mackem). Carroll might have more of an impact next season, but nowhere near to justify his price tag. Plus, he's been the summary of how and why everything went wrong for them this season.

IMO their real problem is their manager. I really cannot stand the man, but even if I were to be objective, he's dropped quite a few clangers since he's been in charge. His arrogant demeanor on the touchline and in the press makes a mockery of what is a legendary football club. He looks like a dementia patient in desperate need of a bath. He's also a bit shit at this management lark. Taking Carroll off at St James', at the time that he did, and considering the scoreline at the time and the fact that he was at least trying, has got to be the poorest decision I have ever come across from a manager, anywhere. It confirmed that he really is way out of his depth.

What could have been of their season had Suarez not been banned for 10 odd games? As SBR always said, "if" is a big word in football. At the end of the day, as outrageously talented and brilliant a footballer he is, he is an odious detestable cheating snake in equal measure. From a personal point of view, I do want to see him chased out of this league. The racism issue is a grey area, and no one really knows what really happened. But I do believe in karma, and I believe the twat got exactly what he deserved for all the intentional cheating that he works so hard on during every single game he plays.

With FFP around the corner, this may only be the beginning of a bitter and twisted time for LFC. Their problems are several fold, and the solutions are far from simple. Someone needs to have the guts to call Dalglish out for the impostor that he is, throw him out on his arse, and make a VERY shrewd choice for the manager that will succeed him. If I were FSG I may be tempted by the availability of Capello, provided that he still had the hunger. In addition to that, they need to recoup as much money from selling Suarez as they could.

I couldn't give a flying fuck what happens to them as a club to be honest, as I have grown to hate them season on season since the first 4-3. Should they actually buck up their ideas and start acting like a professional football club, and should their fans tone down their unjustified arrogance and general cuntishness, I could learn to respect them once again for the big club they once were.

How long he can keep it up will depend on whether he can stay fit. These days, he's in and out of the side and rarely makes it to match fitness before he's out again.

We don't have anyone coming through who's anywhere near as good as Gerrard was in his prime. But not many do. I don't think I've ever seen a player like Gerrard. If only he'd had a brain and some tactical awareness, he could have been one of the very best English players ever.

He had some injury problems when he was young if I remember right, maybe it's catching up to him a bit now.  Anyhow, the LFC medical staff should have a good idea of how much longer he can keep up his standard, I just wonder if moves are afoot to bring in a young protege for him who'll be ready to take over his role or if they're just going to go out and buy a ready made replacement for big bucks when the time comes or possibly change the playing style to adjust to life without him.

Guest Phil K

If Liverpoool win on Saturday then to be fair, its been a great season, we would rip our bollocks off for one trophy never mind two.

The league form has been s****, but they'll simply look at is as something to improve on next season. However, with KK in charge I dont think they will. But thats another story.

Agree. They WILL be better next season, as I believe they'll send Carroll out on loan and get shot of Henderson and the other waste of space Downing, and sign others at top dollar (No doubt trying to use Newcastle AGAIN as a supply base)

But hell yes - I'd kill for just ONE trophy. I would certainly swop places with the b*stards thats for sure. Give us 2 trophies and you can have 5th place.