The takeover, Roeder and relegation

Guest Upton Left

Guest Upton Left

Hello to you, the Toon Army,

A passing Hammer here and not lookin for a fight, purely a football fan interested in your plight.

I was in newcastle last week doing some work on a project I am working on...The Blue Planet Live! by name http://www.theblueplanetlive.com if you are looking for a christmas present with a difference (cheekiness now over)....and I was talking to several taxi drivers. Being a lover of the beautiful game and with the Roeder connection, the topic was always football

Anyway, the overriding perspective from any toon fan I spoke to was that Roeder is a decent guy (a given) but the jury was close to reaching a verdict of guilty. Is this the case? I rated him at first at West Ham but it became clear very quickly that when he struggled, he really, really struggled.

Nothing at all against Roeder and disgusted by the name calling. Just wondered if you now think you may as well hang on to him until after the takeover when the new people will n doubt bring in someone new anyway?

Yeh pretty much agree with you there mate, nice guy, rubbish manager.

Had a good spell at the end of the season, and in many respects deserved the job. What gets me there though, if Wenger left Arsenal in February and Pat Rice took over til the end of the season and went on a really good run, would the board appoint him as manager? Very unlikely, they'd go and get a top drawer, proven manager from elsewhere.

His transfer policy borders on comical, and league results have been horrendous. Correct me if i'm wrong, but can Roeder add to his sterling CV the £5m purchase of Tomas Repka?!

The thing is we were all about to have him hung then we play like we did at the weekend and you start thinking maybe just maybe this is the start of the come back. He is a nice guy and he DID save us last season without doubt. Its been hard with yet again another season with so many injuries, I think IF Fred does give him funds in January then we could be miles better under Roeder with the right player brought in. We have seen already how much better we are with only Dyer back fit, once we have Owen back too I think we can be a force to be reckond with.

As a club we sack way to many managers and to out another one so soon can only do us harm in the long run and of course we have no faith in the Chairman to get the right man in if he did sack Glenn.

Guest theunis

Agree here seems like a nice guy or so everyone says, and he did save us end of last season, so he was sort of intitiled to the job. But this is a new season he needs to get the players fired up and ready for battle. Sacking him now think is a bit early, allot of hicups have happend endless injuries, Bond departure, milner issue, nigel arival. So just think we need to back him for now and get a bit of consistency going

Agree here seems like a nice guy or so everyone says, and he did save us end of last season, so he was sort of intitiled to the job. But this is a new season he needs to get the players fired up and ready for battle. Sacking him now think is a bit early, allot of hicups have happend endless injuries, Bond departure, milner issue, nigel arival. So just think we need to back him for now and get a bit of consistency going

Too many home fuk ups for him to have any time left at this club.

He'd have been sacked after Sheff Utd if a takeover wasn't round the corner.

Mind asking him to win games with a RB like Carr playing is a tough ask of anyone, the players also have to hold their hands up for soem individual performances.

As long as Glenn see's it and drops Carr even when fit then we will be miles better, you are only as good as your weakest link and Carr is that weak link.

Mind asking him to win games with a RB like Carr playing is a tough ask of anyone, the players also have to hold their hands up for soem individual performances.

As long as Glenn see's it and drops Carr even when fit then we will be miles better, you are only as good as your weakest link and Carr is that weak link.

Fingers crossed Sunderland beckons for him.

top bloke roeder, and i really think he tries to do everything right but he falls short of what is required at our club imo.

i think and hope that a takeover will result in glenn either leaving altogether or going back to the academy and us getting in a top gaffer like we should have done in the first place.

whilst i dont think roeder will take us down, i also dont feel we will be anywhere near the top 6 as we should be given the facilities we have and the money we have spent.

the whole thing needs chnaging from top to bottom imo, from the boardroom all the way down, and i have a feeling that a takeover will provide just that.

houillier/allardyce/sven/hitzfeld for me please.

top bloke roeder, and i really think he tries to do everything right but he falls short of what is required at our club imo.

i think and hope that a takeover will result in glenn either leaving altogether or going back to the academy and us getting in a top gaffer like we should have done in the first place.

whilst i dont think roeder will take us down, i also dont feel we will be anywhere near the top 6 as we should be given the facilities we have and the money we have spent.

the whole thing needs chnaging from top to bottom imo, from the boardroom all the way down, and i have a feeling that a takeover will provide just that.

hitzfeld/houillier/allardyce/sven for me please.

I'll go with that

Guest Upton Left

Interesting. looks like you guys are pretty much in agreement.

I see West Ham are about to be bought by Eggert. I'm delighted it is not Kia as he woudl have go trid of Pardew, the best thing to happen to us since DiCanio.

I'll be back in Newcastle on the 29th December for http://www.theblueplanetlive.com so hope so see lots of you then!!

Christmas deadline as Belgravia mulls over move for Newcastle

Michael Walker

Tuesday November 21, 2006

The Guardian

Belgravia, the company in talks with Newcastle United about a possible takeover at St James' Park, expects to have made either a formal offer, or to have walked away, by Christmas. Effectively that leaves five weeks for the parties to reach agreement and, with Belgravia into their period of due diligence, City sources said yesterday that a bid is "imminent", although that means weeks rather than days.

January's transfer window is a key factor in the self-imposed deadline. Newcastle and Belgravia want to have a sense of certainty going into January, with a Belgravia spokesman saying yesterday that, regardless of speculation about the value of the land around St James' Park, the primary focus would be on improving the club's Premiership standing.

Despite sceptical noises from within St James' about Belgravia's true intentions - there appears to be little belief, publicly at least, that the Jersey-based company will make a bid - Belgravia stressed yesterday that any takeover could not be classified as hostile. "We are in discussions which are ongoing," a spokesman said.

That has been Belgravia's stance since August 21, when it was first revealed that discussions had begun and when they were entitled to begin inspecting the books under the due diligence period.

Newcastle's position, reiterated by the chairman, Freddy Shepherd, at the weekend, is that there has been no official offer from Belgravia or any other party, and even if one or more is forthcoming it does not have to be accepted. However, discussions can be at an advanced stage before any formal bid is declared under Stock Exchange rules.

Newcastle are facing injury problems for Thursday's Uefa Cup visit of Celta Vigo. Damien Duff and Craig Moore will have scans today on injuries picked up in the 1-1 draw at Arsenal. Duff hurt a knee and faces a fortnight out of action, and Moore is also likely to miss the match. This leaves Newcastle with only three fit defenders for the game.

Well who's fault is that Skirge for not getting a right-back during the summer?

I don't give a fuck if he's a nice man or not.  It seems to me that very few top managers are.

Hand him his marching orders Shepherd and let anyone who wants to have a cry about it weep like babies that the nice man is gone.  I, on the other hand, will be sporting a smile so big that it will be visible from space.

Guest Upton Left

Ahh, that last comment is rather reminiscent of the thoughts of West Ham fans when we were bottom at Christmas.

They changed slightly later in the season to, "He may have had a brain tumour and I am sorry for the chap on that front but it does not mean he is suddenly capable of football management"

Ahh, that last comment is rather reminiscent of the thoughts of West Ham fans when we were bottom at Christmas.

They changed slightly later in the season to, "He may have had a brain tumour and I am sorry for the chap on that front but it does not mean he is suddenly capable of football management"

Yeah, well, it just seems odd to me that people come out with the "nice guy" comments as if it's relevant to any question over his managerial abilities.  Can you imagine going on a Man United forum to ask them what they thought of Alex Ferguson as a manager and getting replies like "He's a bit of a prick but a top class manager"?

Forget that he's a nice guy.  He might have other personality traits that in no way help his performance as a manager, they don't need to be mentioned either.

Were we after a RB ?

Roeder may have asked and been told no by Fred, we just don't know. I suppose we could say Carr has just got worse and worse this season so early on Glenn was not lookign to replace him, I hope to fk he is planning on it now.

Were we after a RB ?

Roeder may have asked and been told no by Fred, we just don't know. I suppose we could say Carr has just got worse and worse this season so early on Glenn was not lookign to replace him, I hope to fk he is planning on it now.

Assuming that he was being honest in his interviews, Roeder seems to have little else but praise for the big-boned Irishman.  I doubt he's looking to replace him.  Again though, that is assuming he was being honest.

Roeder is a really nice, genuine guy. That's what makes disliking him and wanting him sacked so much harder than it was with Souness. They're both crap football managers but Souness was an arsehole on top of that so it was easy to dislike him, Roeder's not.

I don't see why him coming across as a nice guy makes it more difficult to know he shoudl be sacked, and come out and say it. Its not a "good person" contest, its a job at which Roeder is very very bad.

Correct

There seems to be a lot of hypocrisy amongst the fans at the moment.  If this team was managed by Souness, playing the way they are at the moment, the cries would be heard all over the town calling for the manager's head.

But because it's nice guy Roeder, they treat it differently?

Roeder is sh*t, he should never have been given the job and he should be sacked asap - just like Souness - in fact going on track record, we should be MORE horrified with Roeder in charge compared to Souness.

But of course, he's a nice guy so we shouldn't think that........

I don't see why him coming across as a nice guy makes it more difficult to know he shoudl be sacked, and come out and say it. Its not a "good person" contest, its a job at which Roeder is very very bad.

Correct

There seems to be a lot of hypocrisy amongst the fans at the moment.  If this team was managed by Souness, playing the way they are at the moment, the cries would be heard all over the town calling for the manager's head.

But because it's nice guy Roeder, they treat it differently?

Roeder is sh*t, he should never have been given the job and he should be sacked asap - just like Souness - in fact going on track record, we should be MORE horrified with Roeder in charge compared to Souness.

But of course, he's a nice guy so we shouldn't think that........

Quite agree, but if you DARE to criticize the FANS(!)you will find that someone will call that 'Pigshit'

(See thread on 'Takeover'- Holds head in frustration...)

There seems to be some sort of malaise with people now whereby they criticize`anyone who appears not to be ' NICE' but allow all sorts of crap from idiots who are touchy-feely but useless.

You just have to look at the useless tools in politics....!!

Were we after a RB ?

Assuming that he was being honest in his interviews, Roeder seems to have little else but praise for the big-boned Irishman.  I doubt he's looking to replace him.  Again though, that is assuming he was being honest.

Oliver said we failed with a deadline day raid for Lucas Neill.