UK Politics - The Coalition Years

GM

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Somebody has to deal with national Debt.

How did Canada do it? Or we can set a Volcano off like Iceland!

for me there's two types of tories:

1. the deluded/naive/stupid/gullible who believe that trickledown and all that shit will work, and

2. the eyes open hard faced cunts who don't care about anything but their own pockets

while i have little time for either i'd take #2 everyday 'cause the first group are fucking morons

re: widening the gap between rich and poor, the point that some people are missing here is that it may have happened under labour during the last 13 years but it wasn't 'intentional' if you like...for the tories widening the gap between rich and poor is the end itself, that's all they're about

The #2  Tories are utterly ruthless, and even if the other type described are quite moronic, at least they're not bastards.

Somebody has to deal with national Debt.

How did Canada do it? Or we can set a Volcano off like Iceland!

Slashed an cut like f***.

whilst the world economy was booming.

We put an Employment Insurance premiums on everyone's pay cheque that was supposed to be going into a fund for people who lose their jobs but instead it was used to pay off the debt. It was essentially a massive income tax hike that was painted a different colour. The federal government also offloaded a great deal of expenses onto lower levels of government. So, while taxpayers were still paying for those costs to their provincial and municipal governments, the federal Liberal government claimed to be balancing their books and paying down the debt.

In the grand scheme of things, it just ended up hurting us, since we didn't have the money for employment insurance when we needed it, and our local governments are so cash-strapped from having to take on new expenses that a lot of infrastructure in Canada has not been properly maintained.

Other countries should definitely be cautious to think that Canada is any kind of example of fiscal or social responsibility.

And the shits going to hit over this scrapping of the Sheffield Forgemasters loan.

Why what's happened? Haven't heard a thing about it over here.

This was announced last month as part of the initial cleaning operation of Labour's pre-election bribes.

They promised £80mil as a loan to Sheffield Forgemasters to try and modernise their technologies, along with a few other billion to try and sweeten the unions before May.

1. the deluded/naive/stupid/gullible who believe that trickledown and all that shit will work, and

2. the eyes open hard faced cunts who don't care about anything but their own pockets

while i have little time for either i'd take #2 everyday 'cause the first group are fucking morons

re: widening the gap between rich and poor, the point that some people are missing here is that it may have happened under labour during the last 13 years but it wasn't 'intentional' if you like...for the tories widening the gap between rich and poor is the end itself, that's all they're about

:lol:

Eyes wide shut, eh?

Well Thomson mouse,it seems a top Tory donor urged the PM to block the loan,cant link now as Im at work will try to do so.

Remember this was a loan not a grant,and Cam-Clegg have been found to be misleading Parliament and the Public over the scrapping of it.

Eyes wide shut, eh?

Stu, are you stalking me through every thread I post in?

Eyes wide shut, eh?

Stu, are you stalking me through every thread I post in?

Of course, it's not as though I've ever been known for discussing football or politics.

Depressing Question Time tonight- plentiful supply of idiots on panel and in audience.

Aye, I have to look away when idiots can't ask a question without stuttering and slavering all over the place.

The Labour fellow that is on is always a good performer.

It's easy to be a Labour MP and look good at the mo.Even in Bexhill the other week,the majority of the audience were behind Andy Burnham.Green will have little support in Hartlepool.Can't wait to watch on IPlayer in the morning.

I hate how Labour have positioned themselves as the 'anti-cuts' party. I thought if there was one good thing about the recent election it was that there was a consensus that big cuts needed to be made. Very easy to look populist but its very dishonest.

Not anti-cuts,but anti bull in a china shop cuts.The Tories are on the verge of taking us back into recession by cutting too much too soon.Labour would have done it more moderately,and therefore by supporting the ailing economy,with less pain.

Swings and roundabouts tbh.

Whilst by no means infallible in the run-up to the recession, Labour were disproportionately blamed for the global credit crunch. It was easy to look/be Tory, slinging mud safe from a position of accountability.

The electorate have almost pathetically short memories, and the coalition will be demonised for future hardship/failings. Not sure I entirely agree with you Aphrodite - I don't think they have positioned themselves as being 'anti-cuts', more 'steadier/safer cuts'.