This is England 88

TheGuv

The film was good, proper hard hitting like, the kid was a s*** actor though!

Aye, but i think the actors around him made up for it! And the writing was very good.

Better than all that CGI crap that is out at the minute ;)

As much as I liked it, I just don't think this will cut it. If it was always in the pipeline with the writers then maybe, but if it's something that's been created out of a lack of original ideas it'll just be shit and forced.

I'll just get me jacket then.. :eek:

No need for that man, I was a bit worried about the same things, but there's a bit on the website from Meadows that reassured me, I trust him not to sell out because he must have had x-amount of opportunities to do so and hasn't.

Cool then.  Had no real knowledge of the writers or directors to be honest with you. :thup:

You should check out his other stuff, with the exception of Once Upon a Time in the Midlands - which is okay - it's all excellent. I reckon you'd love Dead Man's Shoes.

Don't know about you lot, but I thought the kid did a fantastic job, really. He was a regular slumdog picked up who came with a baggage full of family issues, and I think he identified quite a bit with the character. Which child actor is 'great' anyways? He was better than loads of the American tw$ts you see every week.

I love the part where he's pissed off about his trousers.  :lol:

Brought back memories when i went to school and me mam and dad bought me a blue blazer and everyone else had black. All year i spent trying to ruin it, finally left it on the field after playing football, next year i got a nice black one  :snod:

Don't know about you lot, but I thought the kid did a fantastic job, really. He was a regular slumdog picked up who came with a baggage full of family issues, and I think he identified quite a bit with the character. Which child actor is 'great' anyways? He was better than loads of the American tw$ts you see every week.

Yeah, I agree, I thought his performance was excellent; really realistic, like a real kid would have been. I guess that might have been because it was real and he was just a kid being a kid, but all SM's films are like that, that's what's so good about them. I hate it when films have perfect kids in them who spout perfect dialogue, talk in perfect sentences, never mumble or say something totally random for no apparent reason, I've never met a kid like that and I certainly wasn't like that when I was young, in fact adults aren't like that either, but it's just even more jarring and unbelievable when it's a kid.

Meadows did a little Q&A after the screening here in Toronto, and most of the questions were regarding the kid. Apparently he wandered into the audition set and when they asked him why he was there, he goes, "the lady outside said I'll get a fiver if I do. So here I am," or something to that accord. Basically he was taken under the wing by Meadows and the crew and there was a sense of responsibility as the director was describing him. That's possibly the best way to get the best out of child actors, I think.