PC meltdown

BlueStar

Right, so I've been putting off installing my new hard drive for a while after my old one started reporting it was about to die, but it looks like it's made the decision for me. Went onto a site of ill repute for a film for the missus and my anti-virus went apeshit, blocking loads of programmes and Win7 admin alerts kept asking me if I wanted to allow 20 odd programmes to make changes to the machine in a loop.  Shut down, restarted and it gets up to just after 'starting windows', I get a black screen with a mouse pointer and it reboots.  Windows repair thing doesn't work, so it's new HDD time.

Problem is, when I boot from the Win 7 DVD it doesn't see my new drive, just my old secondary one.  I've never had a SATA drive on this PC, just IDE.  I can see it from the BIOS in certain menus, like boot priority, but what do I need to do to be able to install Win7 on it and boot from it?  The new hdd is the one starting with WD.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8862/img1965ng.th.jpghttp://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4733/img1966v.th.jpghttp://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1843/img1967s.th.jpg

Right, plugged it into the other SATA port and now I can get a load of RAID options up on boot that I don't understand :lol:

Do I need drivers or something?  I have the option to load drivers in the windows install bit but I've never needed drivers for hard drives before and I've no idea where I'd get them.

What's the model no. of your motherboard and hard drive.

Sounds like a win7 problem, you might need a driver but it's unusual.

If that was the case your mobo manufacturer will have the drivers, you'd have to put them onto a usb stick or floppy.

I've had this so many times but it never seems to be the same thing twice, it's infuriating i know.

Formatting you old drive and working from there might be a solution

Cheers - Not sure what I've done, but I tried it for about the 5th time and suddenly I had the option to install to the SATA drive. Strangely I now can't see my secondary IDE in windows now but it's a start!

Right, I get it.  It's basically my BIOS having an eppy fit when I don't have a primary IDE drive.  I've had to take the jumpers off my old drive and make my old IDE secondry drive the primary.  If I boot like that I get the option between booting to Windows 7 (The install on my new SATA drive) and Windows 7 (Recovered) - which is actually just my data drive with no install on it, where it tried to 'fix' it because it thought I should be booting off it.  If I have just my SATA drive installed I can't boot normally because it moans about not having a primary IDE, so I have to hold F8 to access the boot menu.  Once in the SATA install I can't see my old data drive, presumably because it's the primary IDE.  Managed to copy all my files over through a pendrive linux install mind.