Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

http://i53.tinypic.com/2z71yj8.jpg

Imagine if Smith was our starting DM this season

Looks from that like he's made the difference between staying up and going down again.

I think he's our most important player. Without him Nolan's weaknesses would have been revealed to much greater degree. He's invaluable, much more so than Carroll.

Guest Geordiesned

What a few people are forgetting is that UEFA's new rules whereby clubs must spend within their means come into force in June. Those very rules were in my opinion the reason why Chelsea and Liverpool paid over the odds for Torres and Carroll respectively in January. The buying clubs knew they would not be allowed to make such bids in the summer so were forced to dig deep if they wanted their men.

So that would mean it would be very difficult for any of the top clubs to now make a bid high enough for Ashley to consider it "good business" to sell. There's certainly a few clubs who could make such an offer but they'd likely be using up their whole transfer budget on one player.

Admittedly that's the positive slant on it though!

6.5 year contract seems odd to the impartial observer for a player who only signed a few month ago.

Taking into account that he is going to be on at least 50k a week now over a period of 6.5 year this brings the wages committed to Tiote to nearly £17m over that period.

Is this coming out of the Carroll fund or not?  :rolleyes:

Impartial  :kasper: An impartial mackem - and a bitter one at that  ;D

Anyway fwiw I agree with you it must look quite odd to give a contract that long to a player just just 6 months after arriving at the club. It says a lot about how those who work with him on a day to day basis rate his importance to the club's progress !

Carroll fund ?  There will be a salary and transfer structure but it is not subdivided into categories, Carroll's fee and salary will be part of the overall budget.

Also btw I think you'll still be above us at 5 o' clock this afternoon. Hope I'm wrong though  O0

Guest Geordiesned

He's invaluable, much more so than Carroll.

For me the central defensive midfield role is the most important in the team. It's the position that holds the team together essentially. It's no good having a couple of great strikers if the central midfield wasn't able to keep possession or win it back from the opposition as they'd never see the ball (see our performances with Smith in the team). Equally it's no good just having two top quality centre halves as with no protection in front of them it would be virtually impossible to stop wave after wave of attack. If you look at modern day football (so from the Premier League's inception) all the top teams have had a player more than capable of filling that role. Looking at Newcastle teams over the last decade or so I don't think we ever really replaced David Batty in that role. We have now and I hope and prayer that Ashley releases the necessary funds to allow our team to be build around Tiote.

6.5 year contract seems odd to the impartial observer for a player who only signed a few month ago.

Taking into account that he is going to be on at least 50k a week now over a period of 6.5 year this brings the wages committed to Tiote to nearly £17m over that period.

Is this coming out of the Carroll fund or not?  :rolleyes:

Impartial  :kasper:

Yeah, that post is definitely not impartial :lol:

Guest Geordiesned

Appreciated :)

Is it wrong that I'm now irritated by Tiote's poor disciplinary record?

1 booking away from a further 2 match ban. Looking at the games ahead a booking for him today meaning he'll miss Everton and Stoke might not be the worst thing.

Again, he gets a couple of annoying bookings, but then again couple of them are because Nolan or Barton or whoever pushes to much forward and he then have to cover for their positioning mistake making him break their plays up.

He's had one or two in the first 15 minutes I think but many are because he breaks up counterattacks for the team.

I didn't know Tiote was Brazilian?

He actually broke Elanos leg in the World Cup, and he was our best player that far in the tournament.

So basically, if we are to follow what you think of me, I should despise him as you think I only defend Brazilian players despite criticizing them many times, so please go wank over a Zlatan picture since that's all you know how to do anyways :pow:

Ideally I would like to see him get through todays game without a booking.  Everton is a team with a very high max capacity. And without Tiote, I'm afraid Arteta could have himself a party. Stoke away and Wolfes home are teams we have a good chance of beating regardless, as long as we avoid unnecessary corners and  free kicks in good positions.