Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Time for Marveaux to dust off those football boots he keeps at the back of his wardrobe?

This is about the only feasible (and sensible) option to go with (that is, having Marveaux further forward in the number 10 role and have Anita and Sissoko playing deep) but of course Pardew won't go with it.

Not the worst match to miss tbh.

This is the type of match where Tiote normally does really well at. Without him, our central midfield looks piss poor defensively.

Without Cabaye it does. Without Tiote we keep the ball better.

This is the type of match where Tiote normally does really well at. Without him, our central midfield looks p*ss poor defensively.

If Tiote was fit would you have chosen to drop him for this match?

Who would you play in central midfield out of Tiote, Sissoko, Anita, Marv, Bigi and Gosling (the assumption that everyone was available).

This is the type of match where Tiote normally does really well at. Without him, our central midfield looks p*ss poor defensively.

:lol:

I think I'd just play Sissoko, Anita and Marveaux. What's the harm?

I think he'll play Gosling, though.

I think he might play Marveax so when we get beat we have a ready made scapegoat.

Who would you play in central midfield out of Tiote, Sissoko, Anita, Marv, Bigi and Gosling (the assumption that everyone was available).

Anita/Tiote-Sissoko

----Marv----

Depending on opponent. Not ideal - but I don't see the purpose of both Anita + Tiote together on the pitch with Sissoko, as we'll then have very little creativity on the ball.  Sissoko HAS to play for me b/c of his brute strength and pace on the counter.  He needs to get back to his box-2-box role through the middle IMO.  Marv is the only guy in our squad capable of playing the #10 role able to pick out the pass, hit a decent free kick, and hell - put in a good cross when he's out wide.

If Tiote was fit would you have chosen to drop him for this match?

Depends who we're up against. Anita, Sissoko and Marveaux would be my pick most of the time at home with Tiote coming in away.

I really don't think Tiote protects the defence as well as people think, but with no alternative he has to be there away from home most of the time.

Tiote isn't all about protecting. You would think there's some massive gulf in retaining possession between Anita and Tiote but there really isn't. Tiote's other abilities are a lot better than Anita's and that's why I would always play him. Anita can obviously get better but he's a passenger at times and we can't afford that luxury right now. That's when he's asked to be the main man in CM obviously.

Tiote is like a magnet for action. He must be close to making the most touches in the side and pass attempts/successful. He's always involved. Anita sometimes drifts in and out. I dont' want to say that he hides but sometimes he's a passenger. FWIW Tiote is always in the driving seat, whether good or bad.

:thup: