Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

He's a liability and has been for quite sometime, he played reasonably well when he took the armband for a month or so a while back but in general he's regressed since the 5th. Saying that a few of them have - Krul, Cisse, Colocinni etc have all gone backwards in the last 3 years.

Proper coaching (McClaren's strength by all accounts) could possibly sort a few of them out but the "that'll do" attitude has become ingrained and it'll be difficult to shift.

Tiote can cover the pitch effectively. That's something at least 2 of our other central CM midfielders can't do.

Shame that he's always out of position he's covering the pitch so effectively.

I don't disagree. But you would hope he could be better in that regard under a better manager. He wasn't like that before.

• 1 month later...

There was an injury problem mentioned in one of the NUTV videos from the first week or two of preseason.  I'd assume he's still not fit, given the length of his layoff.

unless the site i'm looking at is wrong this lad has made 113 PL starts (5 subs) in the 5 seasons he's been at the club so being generous he's managed to play just less than 24 league games per season on average

based on that i'd be thinking about canning him even if he performed when he did play, which he doesn't

We really are crying out for a good solid defensive midfielder, if chieck can reproduce some of his top performances we will have a solid midfield. I am sure Mclaren and Co will tell him to recover the ball and pass on simply and quickly if he wants to become the player he was again...

I remember the stats from his first few games were top notch. He rarely gave the ball away and just kept it simple. He lost his way big time and got too big for his boots. Needs a good talking to, realise what he is best at and stick to it. All this long passing and ridiculous shooting needs to get to fuck.

I remember after having a good season with us...pardew was talking about him in the pre season saying some ridiculous things about him I can't remember exactly what but I think the gist of it was that he had more to his game going forward etc.

One thing even when he was playing well  was it was pretty obvious what he brought to the team and none of it was in anyway attack minded

I remember after having a good season with us...pardew was talking about him in the pre season saying some ridiculous things about him I can't remember exactly what but I think the gist of it was that he had more to his game going forward etc.

One thing even when he was playing well  was it was pretty obvious what he brought to the team and none of it was in anyway attack minded

Aye, another example of classic Alan Pardew mis-management. "There's more to his game than being just a tough tackling midfielder" or something along those lines.

Next thing you know he's got him playing as some sort of dithering deep-lying playmaker, looking like Danny Dyer in Mean Machine when he's on the ball - just to try and prove his point and again proving what an egotistical dunce he is.

Hope he can get fit again and McClaren manages to get the best out of him as he could be a brilliant asset to us again if he's played purely as an anchorman.

Aye, another example of classic Alan Pardew mis-management. "There's more to his game than being just a tough tackling midfielder" or something along those lines.

Next thing you know he's got him playing as some sort of dithering deep-lying playmaker, looking like Danny Dyer in Mean Machine when he's on the ball - just to try and prove his point and again proving what an egotistical dunce he is.

Hope he can get fit again and McClaren manages to get the best out of him as he could be a brilliant asset to us again if he's played purely as an anchorman.

This x10!

I remember being at Goodison Park for his debut.  At least I think it was his debut, very early in his career anyway.  HBA was immense that day, but Tiote was pure class and was MOTM by far.  Always in position, completed most of his passes and just kept it simple.  I remember feeling very optimistic after that game.  Can't say I've felt like that too often since.

He's always looked okay when he's had someone next to him doing the offensive midfield work. As others have said he's at his worst when he's trying to be something he's not.

Saying that, even during his good spells he was prone to an absolutely mental turn with the ball now and again.

I remember being at Goodison Park for his debut.  At least I think it was his debut, very early in his career anyway.  HBA was immense that day, but Tiote was pure class and was MOTM by far.  Always in position, completed most of his passes and just kept it simple.  I remember feeling very optimistic after that game.  Can't say I've felt like that too often since.

If he is told to play between the 18 yard and halfway line only, break up play and move the ball on instantly to someone better, to reign in the stupid bookings and to stop being injured for massive chunks of the season then aye he might do a job for us again.

I don't want him as an anchorman in particularly, he never was that good at just sitting anyway. When he looked good he just run around tackling everything in sight within a certain radius, it worked from a certain point of view because Cabaye was so close to him all the time. I wouldn't even trust him to do that again though, he's just too thick and makes too many idiotic decisions that are not always to do with bad passing.

I don't want him as an anchorman in particularly, he never was that good at just sitting anyway. When he looked good he just run around tackling everything in sight within a certain radius, it worked from a certain point of view because Cabaye was so close to him all the time. I wouldn't even trust him to do that again though, he's just too thick and makes too many idiotic decisions that are not always to do with bad passing.

Agree, off to Russia / The Sea with him