Almost everything that is wrong with the media summed up in one article

indi

Overcharged disabled Salford widow has phone cut off

Mrs Morris, an asthmatic, has been unable to call her doctor for two weeks

An 87-year-old disabled widow from Salford had her phone cut off for two weeks after a communications company wrongly accused her of owing £6.50.

Elizabeth Morris, of Howard Street, had been incorrectly charged by TalkTalk for a broadband line she did not have.

It apologised on Friday, but Mrs Morris, who has felt "vulnerable" for a fortnight, still has a bar on outgoing calls.

She has complained to the Telecommunications Ombudsman.

The great grandmother and former wartime lorry driver, who survived her house being bombed to the ground during World War II, said she was deeply upset by TalkTalk's actions.

"It's caused me to have almost a nervous breakdown," Mrs Morris said.

"In my life I have never owed money to anyone and they say I owed them £6.50 - but they owe me £6.50 and more besides."

Mrs Morris, who is on medication for asthma and uses a stair lift to help her reduce breathlessness, was left with no means of contacting her doctor in an emergency.

TalkTalk has admitted it made a mistake in incorrectly charging Mrs Morris for broadband.

It told the BBC that it wanted to apologise to Mrs Morris and would restore her phone service.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-11048702

:help:

Since when has "Woman gets phone cut off" been headline news, or in fact news at all?

Also, 99.9% of what has been written is totally irrelevant, what the fuck has her house getting bombed in the second world war got to do with anything? :lol:

It's sensationalist bullshit of the highest order and it's found its way on to the BBC, which just shows how all-invasive this kind of crap has become. There's a bazillion bits of real news going on out there and this is what they're telling us about, what the fuck, man!?! This one doesn't even have the excuse of "Ooooh, well it's a lifestyle piece, it's just meant to be light-hearted and cheer people up." Basically it's a valueless piece of information taking up a slot that something, anything, else could have had. Nothing on the face of the Earth has less worth than this piece of fucking awful "journalism"!!111

Since when has "Woman gets phone cut off" been headline news, or in fact news at all?

Also, 99.9% of what has been written is totally irrelevant, what the fuck has her house getting bombed in the second world war got to do with anything? :lol:

It's sensationalist bullshit of the highest order and it's found its way on to the BBC, which just shows how all-invasive this kind of crap has become. There's a bazillion bits of real news going on out there and this is what they're telling us about, what the fuck, man!?! This one doesn't even have the excuse of "Ooooh, well it's a lifestyle piece, it's just meant to be light-hearted and cheer people up." Basically it's a valueless piece of information taking up a slot that something, anything, else could have had. Nothing on the face of the Earth has less worth than this piece of fucking awful "journalism"!!111

I thought all that but then I noticed she uses a stair lift which for me changes everything.

I thought all that but then I noticed she uses a stair lift which for me changes everything.

Judging by the way they've massively over-hyped the rest of it, she probably doesn't need it, if she's managing to live on her own then she can't be that ill. If she is that ill then the scandal is not that she's had her phone cut off, it's that she's been left to fend for herself. My guess is that she's not that bad. Apart from anything, if she's got no way of communicating with the outside world then how the fuck did the BBC find out about it? Spideysense? :jonas:

Judging by the way they've massively over-hyped the rest of it, she probably doesn't need it, if she's managing to live on her own then she can't be that ill. If she is that ill then the scandal is not that she's had her phone cut off, it's that she's been left to fend for herself. My guess is that she's not that bad. Apart from anything, if she's got no way of communicating with the outside world then how the fuck did the BBC find out about it? Spideysense? :jonas:

Didn't even think of that. :lol:

My guess would be that there's a lot of lonely old people living alone in their own homes up and down the country who have to "fend for themselves" and are coping with a variety of ailments, illnesses and infirmities associated with their age. I'd also guess that having a phone connection is pretty important for them...and TalkTalk cut her off after an administrative error. With an ageing population, more people are going to be living longer and living in their own home, so I'd say this is newsworthy.

:dontknow:

My guess would be that there's a lot of lonely old people living alone in their own homes up and down the country who have to "fend for themselves" and are coping with a variety of ailments, illnesses and infirmities associated with their age. I'd also guess that having a phone connection is pretty important for them...and TalkTalk cut her off after an administrative error. With an ageing population, more people are going to be living longer and living in their own home, so I'd say this is newsworthy.

Perhaps that would be newsworthy, if they'd not gone totally over the top with the irrelevant sensationalist bullshit. They obviously don't think that story's newsworthy themselves otherwise they would have let the story survive on it's own merits. Surely there's many better examples with which to make that point?

Perhaps that would be newsworthy, if they'd not gone totally over the top with the irrelevant sensationalist bullshit. They obviously don't think that story's newsworthy themselves otherwise they would have let the story survive on it's own merits. Surely there's many better examples with which to make that point?

My point with you is that you're making all sorts of jibes at the woman herself, stating that she "probably doesn't need the stairlift" which is nothing more than uncharitable speculation on your part unless you're somehow able to make a diagnosis on the basis of reading the story alone? I think you're misdirected your anger at her, rather than having a proper go at the media. And as far as the point about her not having any other way of communicating with the outside world, and the quip about Spideysense, that's just crap...you don't know, she could have had to wait for home help or whatever to call...

My point with you is that you're making all sorts of jibes at the woman herself, stating that she "probably doesn't need the stairlift" which is nothing more than uncharitable speculation on your part unless you're somehow able to make a diagnosis on the basis of reading the story alone? I think you're misdirected your anger at her, rather than having a proper go at the media.  And as far as the point about her not having any other way of communicating with the outside world, and the quip about Spideysense, that's just crap...you don't know, she could have had to wait for home help or whatever to call...

My point was about the sensationalist nature of the piece and that because of that you couldn't trust any of what it said, the jibes were directed at that, not at her. You're saying that I'm making a diagnosis based upon the story alone, yet so are you, the only thing I am diagnosing is a serious deficiency of real journalism. In fact my comments are nothing to do with the woman herself, they're about the media, I'd have thought that was pretty obvious from the title of the thread and the fact that I hardly mentioned her in my initial comments. If you think I'm casting judgement on this woman then you're entirely missing my point.

My point with you is that you're making all sorts of jibes at the woman herself, stating that she "probably doesn't need the stairlift" which is nothing more than uncharitable speculation on your part unless you're somehow able to make a diagnosis on the basis of reading the story alone? I think you're misdirected your anger at her, rather than having a proper go at the media. And as far as the point about her not having any other way of communicating with the outside world, and the quip about Spideysense, that's just crap...you don't know, she could have had to wait for home help or whatever to call...

My point was about the sensationalist nature of the piece and that because of that you couldn't trust any of what it said, the jibes were directed at that, not at her. You're saying that I'm making a diagnosis based upon the story alone, yet so are you, the only thing I am diagnosing is a serious deficiency of real journalism. In fact my comments are nothing to do with the woman herself, they're about the media, I'd have thought that was pretty obvious from the title of the thread and the fact that I hardly mentioned her in my initial comments. If you think I'm casting judgement on this woman then you're entirely missing my point.

Alright then. :)

Can't blame you for looking out for one of your own.  :mick:

That's just further proof of your gerontophobia. You're no better than Nazi scum in terms of your hatred of old people.

And I thought you were such a nice lad, as well. :lol:

Regarding how anyone found out: maybe her children or grandchildren stopped by after trying to call her and getting a message service has been cut?  Then they complained up a storm and alerted the press, who love these kind of underdog stories anyway?

I don't think this is really indicative of everything that's wrong with the media today. [img-rupert-murdoch owning all media outlets]

Regarding how anyone found out: maybe her children or grandchildren stopped by after trying to call her and getting a message service has been cut?  Then they complained up a storm and alerted the press, who love these kind of underdog stories anyway?

I don't think this is really indicative of everything that's wrong with the media today. [img-rupert-murdoch owning all media outlets]

Thank the stars for thomas. :clap:

Well, I see how it can be considered sensationalist but, and maybe I've grown apathetic to it, that's just the case with such local none-news "news" stories.  If this is getting crazy around the clock coverage on a national level over there then yeah something is definitely wrong, but it looks like a tiny article tucked away on a local news subsite to my American eyes.

Well, I see how it can be considered sensationalist but, and maybe I've grown apathetic to it, that's just the case with such local none-news "news" stories.  If this is getting crazy around the clock coverage over there then yeah something is definitely wrong, but it looks like a tiny article tucked away on a local news subsite to my American eyes.

And that is precisely where it is. Thank you. :thup:

Now...let's see how indi counters that. :shifty:

Can't blame you for looking out for one of your own.  :mick:

That's just further proof of your gerontophobia. You're no better than Nazi scum in terms of your hatred of old people.

And I thought you were such a nice lad, as well. :lol:

No, you didn't.

Well, I see how it can be considered sensationalist but, and maybe I've grown apathetic to it, that's just the case with such local none-news "news" stories.  If this is getting crazy around the clock coverage over there then yeah something is definitely wrong, but it looks like a tiny article tucked away on a local news subsite to my American eyes.

And that is precisely where it is. Thank you. :thup:

Now...let's see how indi counters that. :shifty:

I counter it by saying that it was the style and not the prominence of the article I was commenting on.  :mysterysolved: