Oba Time

Guest theunis

Guest theunis

Read the article in the Chronicles today about Oba time, and got to agree just needs a bit of time and more games but think he is going to come good, what do u people think

STOP!  Oba time.

:lol:

as form oba - i'm sure he'll become a great player for us. he'll help us keep our opponents on their toes and will chip in with a fair share of goals as well...

Guest shearer_united

Martins + Owen + Ameobi = enough strikers for a successful season ?  (as in top 4) ?

Assuming they are all fit and no injuries, etc.

I don't think Ameobi is good enough for the Premiership, I would rather play Sibierski than him, he would offer more to Martins and Owen than Ameobi would. Obviously I'd rather we had a better backup than Sib though.....

Martins will definitely come good.  He has the tools, he just needs to learn how to use them in the most effective way.  I am very confident of that.

:thup: Can't believe how quickly some will jump on a player. He is starting in a new league and has just turned 22, for the money we paid he was very unlikely to hit the league banging them in left right and centre as soon as he set foot on the pitch. The glimpses of ability he has already shown for us and some of his amazing work he did at Inter I think it will be £10/11m well spent!

for anyone who has no idea what article it is:

We'll get it right, Oba time

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder is backing Oba Martins to drag Newcastle United away from the relegation zone after his fine display at Arsenal on Saturday.

And Roeder is supported by none other than his opposite number at the Emirates Stadium - Arsene Wenger.

After Saturday's 1-1 draw the Arsenal boss said: "I think Glenn Roeder made a great choice in taking Martins to Newcastle where he can be a success."

Roeder and everyone who sees United's £10m man at the club's training ground are all confident that the Nigerian international will be one of the answers to the problems up front.

But his goals against Tallinn Levadia and West Ham apart, the United supporters have only seen glimpses of why Martins was able to stay with Inter Milan at the San Siro for so long.

However, the way he linked up with Kieron Dyer against Arsenal has given those supporters some much-needed hope.

And Roeder told me today: "Saturday was Oba's best game for us. It wasn't easy for him against world-class defenders in William Gallas and Kolo Toure, but he caused them problems all game.

"His ability to spring up and win the ball in the air is one of the reasons why Kieron Dyer was able to score our goal.

"He has already formed a good partnership with Kieron and to be fair to Oba we now have to find him a regular partner.

"When we linked him up with Antoine Sibierski at Middlesbrough the pair of them looked terrific together, but then Sibby went off injured.

"People are judging Oba far too soon - and there are other high-profile players who have taken time to settle."

Now Roeder has to decide whether to start with Martins in Thursday's UEFA Cup tie with Celta Vigo at St James' Park or keep him fresh for Portsmouth on Sunday.

Seppe Rossi is not eligible for Thursday and in an ideal world Roeder could be excused for thinking that Albert Luque would find the passion and fire in his belly that has been missing this season against his fellow countrymen, but I believe the United boss will instead turn to someone who has shown he can do his stuff in Europe this season - Sibierski.

And it would not surprise me if those others players who did not start at the Emirates on Saturday - like Emre, James Milner and Charles N'Zogbia - will all be on from the off on Thursday night.

However, Damien Duff and Craig Moore seem certain to miss out as United wait for the results of the scans on their respective knee and hamstring injuries.

The scans have been sent to London for examination and United will find out the results tomorrow.

Link

Guest Imperio

It's amazing how people expect instant top-drawer performances from him. The performance against Arsenal was very encouraging but he's still finding his feet and he's still extremely young.

The main problem is that he hasn't been afforded that much time because we're struggling in the league and because of the immense pressure put on him since getting the number 9 shirt.

Oba time B)

Guest Geordie Dancer

I think he'll come good. We've already seen glimpses of his undoubted talent. If he can forge a partnership with Dyer we'll score more goals. The key is obviously keeping them fit. Then long term, add Owen into the mix, and that is a blistering front 3.

""Roeder could be excused for thinking that Albert Luque would find the passion and fire in his belly that has been missing this season against his fellow countrymen, but I believe the United boss will instead turn to someone who has shown he can do his stuff in Europe this season - Sibierski.""

"

now i know why u hate oliver...  blueupset.gif

Dont realistically expect players like Martins, Tevez etc to perform for at least a season.

Most young foreign players who come into the Premiership are going to have to learn the ropes all over again if theyve only ever played in completely different environments/cultures. Let them take their time in learning how the game is played in this country and the different ways they need to play in order to get the better of the opposition.

Hence, I personally like to view them during this period in the same way as I would view a youngster coming up into the first team from the reserves in his "breakthrough" season - the difference between them and the youngsters (and hence the large transfer fees) being of course that theyve proven theyre exceptionally talented elsewhere, and that should see them being top players once they do learn our game.

Martins will most likely never be world class, but in the Premiership I can see him being the next best thing once he finds his feet along with the rest of the team. In the same way Andy Cole was never world class, and could be frustrating ("Andy Cole Miss A Goal"), but consistently a dangerous player.

Tallinn Levadia

Just why??? When the rest of the world calls them Levadia Tallinn, why does he change it the other way round? WHAT IS THE POINT?

:wullie:

I divn't like this "Seppe Rossi" - only person I've heard call him that. We don't go around calling other players "Hen Carr" and "Stine Babayaro"

Add Dyer to the list above and we have 4 good enough strikers which should be fine....

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif Comedy Gold.

I agree, that shoudl be fine......

Except Ameobi is nowhere near a good enough striker. No-fucking-where near.

And Dire is neither a striker, nor a good enough forward to be part of a top-4 striker force.

And Martins has done nothing t prove he is good enough for a top 4 side.

Of course, its a moot point, as there are very few players in our squad good enough for that level anyway.

Guest the_serbian_mag

Loved the dribbling he did against arse when he was in the right corner... Nice stuff. Still excited when I see him play, wondering what he is gonna do. Seems it is the same with opposing defenders  :thup:

Loved the dribbling he did against arse when he was in the right corner... Nice stuff. Still excited when I see him play, wondering what he is gonna do. Seems it is the same with opposing defenders  :thup:

Hope he keep doing that dribble and creates some goals from it. Would love it to become widely known as "doing a Martins".

Add Dyer to the list above and we have 4 good enough strikers which should be fine....

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif Comedy Gold.

I agree, that shoudl be fine......

Except Ameobi is nowhere near a good enough striker. No-****ing-where near.

And Dire is neither a striker, nor a good enough forward to be part of a top-4 striker force.

And Martins has done nothing t prove he is good enough for a top 4 side.

Of course, its a moot point, as there are very few players in our squad good enough for that level anyway.

I nearly replied to this but then I realised that no one bothers anymore with him. Why does he still post on a forum when everyone ignores his usual nothing else to write bullshit.