Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Guest GAMMELL

We'll get about £4m for him imo.

So that is were the money is coming from for the Tiote deal.

Or we've transfer listed him because contract negations are going nowhere and selling in January would bring in peanuts.

Do you think that fat bastard is going to reinvest the money for new players (Excl. Tiote) from the funds we raise from the Taylor sale?

Not that arsed, he's a decent player but I don't think he's got the brains to ever be much better than he is now.

If we bring in someone with the money then I'd be happy to see the back of him.

Nah, I only miss his commitment.  He has not progressed as what we expect him to be.

He is currently earning what he deserved imo and if he wants to ask for wages higher than 40k then I firmly support the club's decision - even if it's from Ashley.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

No real surprise; he was the prime candidate to leave in order to raise cash this summer.

Williamson's start to life in the Premier League will have only reinforced this.

Only problem is we'll get nowhere near his worth this way.

Go on Dave, take a gamble and value his worth.

Shit English, but you know what I mean. I think we could have easily got £8m for him if he was in contract and playing.

Nah, that's what I meant. Was interested to see what you valued him monetary wise. I think we'd be lucky to get £8m for him (even with the above conditions), be interest to see what we do get.

Not convinced this is solely being done to fund the Tiote transfer though. More likely to do with his contract demands, and the rumours being that half the squad think he's a total dick anyway.

Apparently he was refusing to allow the club to add a relegation clause to his contract. If that's the case good riddance.

No great loss. Hugely overrated because he's young and English, for all his bluster and hand waving he is not a very good defender.

Jesus.  Can't he be more optimistic and contribute more to the team so as to completely eliminate the chance of relegation? Instead of dragging on that clause? FFS

Yea, good riddence.

Guest Brendan_Rice

Must have lost patience with him. Will be sad to see him go. Future England player.

Future? He's 25 already and probably not going to improve significantly with his attitude problems and general thickness.

Defenders mature late he is still years off peaking.

No huge surprise, surely? I've been half expecting it since the bust-up with Carroll, when it also came out that Taylor was pretty unpopular in the dressing-room. And the gossip recently seemed to indicate that was holding out for too much in his contract negotiations.

Guest secteur2010

He'll go to Arsenal or Everton and become class.

Not arsed to be honest, his attitude and the way his agent have worked this is appalling (letting things go to the press now and then and pretending that it's just a minor hiccup and everything will be ok), just shows how much of a snake the lad is.

Carroll should have kicked fuck out of him properly.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Who would even buy him? He'll think he's far too good for the lowest Prem teams, so who will pay ~£4m for Steven Taylor out of the mid-table possé?

Can see him going to someone like Everton/Birmingham and being just as disappointing there.

Aye. Birmingham and Everton seem to have some fascination with buying our old Defenders. But Dan has a point, no one worth while will be interested in him, unless teams are really interested in 'Home Grown' ruling abuse.

Or we've transfer listed him because contract negations are going nowhere and selling in January would bring in peanuts.

Do you think that fat bastard is going to reinvest the money for new players (Excl. Tiote) from the funds we raise from the Taylor sale?

I don't know, just saying buying Tiote and transfer listing Taylor aren't necessarily related.

Decent player, but not worth crazy wages. There are players I'd rather see the back of before him, but under this situation it's the right decision to let him go. Unfortunately I also think this money will cover the Tiote purchase rather than be invested elsewhere, it all makes sense now tbh.

Got to love the optimism of those thinking this money will go on someone else. :laugh:

Hope you're right but I can't see it.

Wonder if the Carroll altercation has much (if anything) to do with this btw?

Guest GAMMELL

I don't know, just saying buying Tiote and transfer listing Taylor aren't necessarily related.

The pessimist in me thinks they are well and truely related, unfortunately.

Even if selling him just covers the Tiote purchase, it seems good business to me.

DM is arguably our biggest need, we've got Colo (who never gets injured,) Williamson (who looks fairly sturdy himself), and Sol, Kadar, and CB Perch as backup at CB.

Guest Slarth

Decent player, but not worth crazy wages. There are players I'd rather see the back of before him, but under this situation it's the right decision to let him go. Unfortunately I also think this money will cover the Tiote purchase rather than be invested elsewhere, it all makes sense now tbh.

But if that was the case then it would make sense to transfer list earlier in the window before we got Tiote. I'm putting it down to his stupid contract demands.

Not got a problem with this at all. If he doesn't want to sign the contract then it's best that he leaves.

No idea how much he wanted or how much we offered but the 2 numbers obviously weren't close enough. 

I can't see either of those teams caring. Birmingham have Roger Johnson and Scott Dann at CB, Everton have Distin, Heitinga, Jags, Yobo?

Even if teams chop and change before the end of the window, I just don't see him adding anything to those squads, and I'm not sure many managers would disagree with me.

Only team I can think of is Sunderland, due to their ability to buy injured CBs

Got to love the optimism of those thinking this money will go on someone else. :laugh:

Hope you're right but I can't see it.

Wonder if the Carroll altercation has much (if anything) to do with this btw?

I think it's more general than that, just him being a difficult personality and not meshing with the new dressing room posse. Always struck me as a bit of a nut, and it was fairly telling how the rest of the squad gravitated towards Carroll after their bust-up.