Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

So is ~£45k your absolute limit now? Do you have players on wages above that, i.e. is it only for new players coming in/new contracts for players already there?

It's for players who are worth 45k. If they're worth more I'm sure we could stretch it for the absolute stars of the team. So yes, 45k tops at the moment.

I don't think we could stretch it, it would undermine the whole point.

Guest Loven11

Not worth 60,000 a week like so yeah good move from the club in transfer listing him, hope he lowers his demands but if not then not too fussed if he goes. Rather he goes now than in January where we would get even less for him.

Guest Chubby Jason

Jagielka, Lescott, Shawcross, Dawson and even Williamson are better English centre backs than Taylor.

Cahill, Campbell, Upson to name some more. I don't rate him at all really, I would still start him as our first choice right-back. IF this is just because he's being a cock and demanding double/triple what he's worth then fair enough, get rid of him, but if we're selling one of our first-choice defenders to fund new transfers then it's a recipe for disaster.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

So is ~£45k your absolute limit now? Do you have players on wages above that, i.e. is it only for new players coming in/new contracts for players already there?

Well if paper talk is to be believed (thought I'd put that for Dave's sake), we have several players on £50k+ currently on the books. However, there does seem to be a new approach when signing new players, or offering new contracts.

If you believe David Craig, Newcastle United are reflecting the finances of the North East in general, as us normal folk struggle in the current economic environment!

If he's in the last year of his contract, we won't get much money for him, unless we can start an auction. He's not that good, he's injured, and rather than pay a large fee, most of the interested clubs will be prepared to wait.

To be fair, it could just be part of wage negotiations... you ask for something and the employer offers something lower. Maybe the club have overreacted or forced his hand with this?

Just saying.

It's been a long enough proccess to have got well past that stage of the negotiations.

We have players on wages higher than that, but all new players and new contracts will be 45K max (if you believe every report). I'd imagine, however, that if Colo or another high earner was to sign a new contract, he would get the same wage as he currently does. 

I read somewhere that 45k was a "loose ceiling". I don't think you can operate in the premier on a one size fits all policy.

Jagielka, Lescott, Shawcross, Dawson and even Williamson are better English centre backs than Taylor.

Cahill, Campbell, Upson to name some more. I don't rate him at all really, I would still start him as our first choice right-back. IF this is just because he's being a cock and demanding double/triple what he's worth then fair enough, get rid of him, but if we're selling one of our first-choice defenders to fund new transfers then it's a recipe for disaster.

It doesn't look that way, it looks like we're fed up with him and his agent.

We have players on wages higher than that, but all new players and new contracts will be 45K max (if you believe every report). I'd imagine, however, that if Colo or another high earner was to sign a new contract, he would get the same wage as he currently does. 

I read somewhere that 45k was a "loose ceiling". I don't think you can operate in the premier on a one size fits all policy.

Yeah, I was under the impression we'd break it for someone outstanding but most transfers we would use 45k.

Hughton's contract negotiations are reported to have stalled as hes not happy with what hes been offered

And the entire squad are reported to be unhappy about their bonuses from last season

Carroll's contract talks are reported to have been stalled by agent's demands.

Now Taylor has been transfer listed over his contract

Of the 4 Taylor is by far the easiest for the board to make an example of - hes by no means indispensable. Anyone think thats why this is one of the few disputes the board have chosen to make public this summer? Im sure he could have been moved on without publicly placing him on the transfer list, there is regularly talk of interest in him.

West Ham would be a fairly good shout, they seem to have a bit of cash floating about and a shocking defence.

I don't think £60k is ridiculous considering Smith and Colo's wages in comparison, it's just he's got to understand things at the club have clearly changed and we're can't afford to match those kind of demands. I'd be sorry to see him go, but if the money can be reinvested then it's not the end of the world. I don't want to throw out those 'if he loved the club blah blah blah' kind of things, if he leaves good luck to him elsewhere, he served us well and certainly helped steady nerves in the first half of the season in the Championship.

Guest Chubby Jason

It doesn't look that way, it looks like we're fed up with him and his agent.

Like I said, if that's the case then fair enough, I was sick of his agent/Dad about 3 years ago when he first got that England call-up and thought he was John Terry MK2. But as someone else mentioned already Ashley and his cronies lie...all the time so I'm taking Craig's take on things with a grain of salt.

Hughton's contract negotiations are reported to have stalled as hes not happy with what hes been offered

And the entire squad are reported to be unhappy about their bonuses from last season

Carroll's contract talks are reported to have been stalled by agent's demands.

Now Taylor has been transfer listed over his contract

Of the 4 Taylor is by far the easiest for the board to make an example of - hes by no means indispensable. Anyone think thats why this is one of the few disputes the board have chosen to make public this summer? Im sure he could have been moved on without publicly placing him on the transfer list, there is regularly talk of interest in him.

Has the transfer listing been made public by the club? I thought it was just an SSN scoop. Probably fed by his agent, I'd have thought.

West Ham would be a fairly good shout, they seem to have a bit of cash floating about and a shocking defence.

I don't think £60k is ridiculous considering Smith and Colo's wages in comparison, it's just he's got to understand things at the club have clearly changed and we're can't afford to match those kind of demands. I'd be sorry to see him go, but if the money can be reinvested then it's not the end of the world. I don't want to throw out those 'if he loved the club blah blah blah' kind of things, if he leaves good luck to him elsewhere, he served us well and certainly helped steady nerves in the first half of the season in the Championship.

I don't think you can justify big wages by comparing to deals handed out to players in the past. Colo, Smith and Barton will not be getting new contracts on those terms again.