So the transfer window is over. Thoughts on our squad?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unless something silly has happened, this is our squad (until January at least).

Goalkeeper

Harper

Krul

Right back

Perch

Simpson

R Taylor

Centre back

Coloccini

Williamson

Campbell

S Taylor

(Perch)

(Simpson)

Left back

Enrique

(Perch)

(R Taylor)

(Simpson)

Wide midfield

Routledge

Gutierrez

(R Taylor)

(Ben Arfa)

(Gosling)

Centre midfield

Barton

Tiote

Smith

Guthrie

Gosling

(Nolan)

(Ben Arfa)

Second striker

Ben Arfa

Nolan

Lovenkrands

Xisco

Centre forward

Carroll

Ameobi

Best

Ranger

On top of this are Kadar, Vuckic, Tavernier and perhaps one or two other youngsters. I'm sure we could bring Forster back in the case of an emergency.

I think we've all been surprised by our activity in the transfer market (not to mention the important fact that none of our better players have left), but are you happy? Will this squad do the business?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Happy- Good enough to survive, as long as we see no extreme injury crisis.

Still, it's fairly well balanced and has some good players in there. :thup:

Guest BooBoo

I'm a lot happier than I was on the day of the Man Utd game although we still need to hope that injuries are kind to us.

I'm amazed we didn't cash in on at least a few squad members.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Two more transfer windows in terms of value and quality like this one and we will be a top 8 club again!

Dynamic set of players and a squad capable of playing in different formations. Very happy with the additions that Hughton has made, not only now but in January as well.

Only worry for me would be if Carroll sustains something and is out for a longer period, I think our attacking threat is dependent on him, and I don't think Best, Ameobi or Ranger could fill in and do it good enough.

Also, this squad certainly isn't one of the bottom three on paper.

Just about happy.

Still think we should have added a striker. Maybe Carroll will grow into the consistent Premier League striker we would have wanted to sign, even then if he gets injured we're quite thin. Also signing an attacking midfielder like HBA partly makes up for it too.

Out

Pancrate - released

Butt - released

Hall - released

In

Perch - £1m?

Gosling - free

Campbell - free

Tiote - £3.3m?

Ben Arfa - £1m loan fee?

Probably about £6m spent. Around £6m more than I expected. :lol:

I'd have liked for us to retain Hall and get another striker, but i don't think either were ever really gonna happen - particularly the latter.

Ben Arfa is just a ridiculously good signing. If someone had told me in May that we'd sign him i'd be gobsmacked. What's going through the lad's head, seriously? Really, really brilliant stuff if you just step away from the 370 pages and think for a sec. It's a tremendous signing.

Hughton's fucking boss when it comes to the transfer market.

Very pleased with the squad. We're blatantly going to play this 4-5-1 (pretty much 4-4-2 tbh) thing, big question mark over who plays where with Ben Arfa/Nolan probably wanting the same position. Getting another striker in would have been one too many I think without anybody leaving, it would have had to be a striker happy to sit on the bench, as it's Carroll and Ben Arfa or Nolan as far as I can see.

The most pleasing thing is that the squad seems together and the spirit of last season has been carried over, and I think by signing a few players as opposed to a whole new team should see us through, it's really a toss-up between about 8 teams for who will be stuck down at the bottom. I'd like to think the extra quality we have with Ben Arfa should at least mean our home record is competitive, and frankly if you can win 9 or 10 of your home games you're well on the way to staying up.