So the transfer window is over. Thoughts on our squad?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest malandro

Interesting to see that of all the premiership clubs that have their sqauds posted on soccernet (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=819764&sec=england&cc=5901) we have the most "homegrown" players.

Newcastle have somehow become the most British and English team in the league.

Apart from Stoke? How does Jonas get to be classed as home-grown? Me thinks ESPN have rushed this data out.

Guest jonnyameobi

It seems now we finally have a decent spine of the team, possibly minus harps, that we can build around over the next few years. could'nt be much happier with this transfer window. Hats off to Chrisy boy

Submitted Squad

Steve Harper

Fraser Forster

Tim Krul

James Perch

Sol Campbell

Steven Taylor

Jose Enrique

Fabricio Coloccini

Danny Simpson

Ryan Taylor

Mike Williamson

Tamas Kadar

James Tavernier

Joey Barton

Danny Guthrie

Alan Smith

Jonas Gutierrez

Kevin Nolan

Wayne Routledge

Cheik Tiote

Hatem Ben Arfa

Haris Vuckic

Xisco

Shola Ameobi

Peter Lovenkrands

Leon Best

Andy Carroll

Should be more than capable of staying up.

Guest jonnyameobi

Submitted Squad

Steve Harper

Fraser Forster

Tim Krul

James Perch

Sol Campbell

Steven Taylor

Jose Enrique

Fabricio Coloccini

Danny Simpson

Ryan Taylor

Mike Williamson

Tamas Kadar

James Tavernier

Joey Barton

Danny Guthrie

Alan Smith

Jonas Gutierrez

Kevin Nolan

Wayne Routledge

Cheik Tiote

Hatem Ben Arfa

Haris Vuckic

Xisco

Shola Ameobi

Peter Lovenkrands

Leon Best

Andy Carroll

looking at that squad there cant be too many squads in the prem with lower wages, apart from jonas, colo,smudge and nolan theres not too many huge earners

Guest jonnyameobi

Isn't Guthrie on a relative pittance? Sure i remember his salary being made public for some reason.

yea im fairly sure i read him being on about 8k

It's 4k per week

Danny Guthrie has exposed the massive gulf in players wages at table topping Newcastle United.

The midfielder was forced to reveal in court this week that he earned £4,000 a week.

And that means it takes him FIVE MONTHS to earn what Argentine defender Fabricio Coloccini banks in a week.

Guthrie had to go public with his pay packet after being caught for speeding. He was fined £500 and given four points on his licence, after magistrates demanded to know how much he earned and spent. His outgoings were said to be £6,000 a month.

Source

hi, first post on here after a while as a "guest"

would tim krul not also be considered a'homegrown' player since he has spent 3 years here before the age of 21?

I think guthrie is practically on the breadline, earning something like 4k i think  :weep:

hi, first post on here after a while as a "guest"

would tim krul not also be considered a'homegrown' player since he has spent 3 years here before the age of 21?

I think guthrie is practically on the breadline, earning something like 4k i think  :weep:

Ok, its not that much ,but its fucking 4 grands a week.... I would kill for 4k a week ;D

squad looks pretty good to me, better than mere relegation fodder.

the big question mark is up front though. Carroll is in superb form - he won't keep that up all season as clubs will wise up to the threat he provides pretty quickly and tailor specific ways of nullifying him. this is something that happens to every young player who bursts onto the scene so his big challenge will be adapting and growing into his role.

I'd also worry about us in case he gets injured or sent to prison - the other strikers just aren't good enough to play that role, so we might have to change the way we play to accomodate the likes of Shola or Loven. hopefully Hughton will be looking for youngish strikers who can complement or even challenge Carroll in leading the line for us over the next few months and we'll strengthen this position in January, though shifting the other dead wood up front (basically everyone bar Carroll) might prove tricky.

Interesting to see that of all the premiership clubs that have their sqauds posted on soccernet (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=819764&sec=england&cc=5901) we have the most "homegrown" players.

Newcastle have somehow become the most British and English team in the league.

Apart from Stoke? How does Jonas get to be classed as home-grown? Me thinks ESPN have rushed this data out.

Stoke was added since my original post (we're tied at 7 foreigners). And yeah as mentioned JOnas is a foreigner and Krul should be counted as homegrown since he's been here since 2005 and is only 22 now.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Submitted Squad

Steve Harper

Fraser Forster

Tim Krul

James Perch

Sol Campbell

Steven Taylor

Jose Enrique

Fabricio Coloccini

Danny Simpson

Ryan Taylor

Mike Williamson

Tamas Kadar

James Tavernier

Joey Barton

Danny Guthrie

Alan Smith

Jonas Gutierrez

Kevin Nolan

Wayne Routledge

Cheik Tiote

Hatem Ben Arfa

Haris Vuckic

Xisco

Shola Ameobi

Peter Lovenkrands

Leon Best

Andy Carroll

Ranger

s***. 4k is nothing. FM has him on £35k or something like that ...

:lol:

its not the bible some people make it out to be. I reckon our average wages will still be top10 simply cos of the ridiculously high paid players we have.

As for our squad; I reckon we have decent cover in most places, not of the highest standard but we should be fine so lets not worry too much  :clap2:

Shit. 4k is nothing. FM has him on £35k or something like that ...

Another reason to why I edit my save file before starting. They and the researchers don't really have much of a clue about the club.

Poor ObiChrisKenobi :undecided:

Slightly off topic but...

Wigan should be paying us royalties or at least send us a thank you card. They have only 19 senior players over 21 so they meet the new "homegrown" quota rules, but they are pretty thin. Of the only SEVEN players that count as homegrown THREE of them do so because of Newcastle United and none of them are English oddly. The Caldwell brothers and Insomnia.

Shit. 4k is nothing. FM has him on £35k or something like that ...

Another reason to why I edit my save file before starting. They and the researchers don't really have much of a clue about the club.

Poor ObiChrisKenobi :undecided:

His hands are tied, pretty much like Greg beforehand, though they should try harder to stamp their influence over the shite judgement of the club. Fuking Spuds researchers have them by the balls and have done for a couple of years, its disgusting.

Top of my head but Xisco has a CA of 134, whereas Nolan 120; it's pretty much pointless playing the DB as its delivered. Apparently this Tiote is a soft fuk who can't tackle with Strength and tackling under 11, in fact Guthrie is better in a tackle than him. No doubt next release Andy Carroll still has a CA of around 115 as well, even though he's easily our most important player along with our ca 120 captain. load of bollocks.

No-one gonna italic in Gosling then?

From soccernet:

Newcastle: Sol Campbell, Steven Taylor, Shola Ameobi, Joey Barton, Danny Guthrie, Peter Lovenkrands, Jose Enrique, Alan Smith, Leon Best, Fabricio Coloccini, Jonas Gutierrez, Steve Harper, Kevin Nolan, Wayne Routledge, Danny Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Mike Williamson, Xisco, Fraser Forster, Tim Krul, James Perch, Cheik Tiote, Hatem Ben Arfa. (Newcastle can also use young players including: Andy Carroll, Ryan Donaldson, Dan Gosling, James Tavernier, Tamas Kadar, Shane Ferguson, Haris Vuckic.)