So the transfer window is over. Thoughts on our squad?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watching the Accrington game, I enjoyed the fact that we've got a second string with some character -- quite a few interesting players in there. The grab-promising-youngsters priority of recent years seems to be bearing fruit, and though I've no idea how our youngsters compare with those at other clubs, we seem to be well set up to take advantage of the "unlimited u-21s" thing should some evil flu bug strike down half the PL.

Watching the Accrington game, I enjoyed the fact that we've got a second string with some character -- quite a few interesting players in there. The grab-promising-youngsters priority of recent years seems to be bearing fruit, and though I've no idea how our youngsters compare with those at other clubs, we seem to be well set up to take advantage of the "unlimited u-21s" thing should some evil flu bug strike down half the PL.

Ipswich are still in the Championship.

Though I suppose he's more of a detestable repeating STD. Still...

Newcastle United - Under 21 players (Contract and Scholars)

Adjei, Samuel

Airey, Philip

Alnwick, Jak

Ameobi, Samuel

Carroll, Andrew Thomas

Donaldson, Ryan Mark

Dummett, Paul

Edmundsson, Joan Simun

Evans, Nathan

Ferguson, Shane Kevin

Folan, Stephen

Gosling, Daniel

Grieve, Matthew Andrias

Henderson, Liam Alexander

Henderson, Jeffrey

Hoganson, Michael George

Inman, Bradden

Ions, William

Kadar, Tamas

Knight, Dennis Peter

Lualua, Kazenga

Maddison, Marcus Harley

McDermott, Greg

McGorrigan, Ryan Anthony

McLaughlin, Patrick Joseph

Mogwo, Andy

Newton, Conor

Nicholson, Alex Jack

Nzuzi, Patrick Nime

Page, Ryan James

Ranger, Nile

Richardson, Michael

Riley, Michael Liam

Robinson, Benjamin Gary

Sayer, Ben

Smith, Jamie Paul

Soderberg, Ole Petter

Spear, Aaron Robert

Storey, Louis Alan

Tavernier, James Henry

Taylor, Daniel Scott

Toland, Lee

Tozer, Ben Peter Anthony

Vuckic, Haris

Zamblera, Fabio

These are your u21's that have been registered.  Which ones do you reckon will make the first team squad during the season?

Adjei, Samuel

Airey, Philip

Carroll, Andrew Thomas

Donaldson, Ryan Mark

Edmundsson, Joan Simun

Ferguson, Shane Kevin

Gosling, Daniel

Inman, Bradden

Kadar, Tamas

Lualua, Kazenga

Ranger, Nile

Soderberg, Ole Petter

Tavernier, James

Vuckic, Haris

These are your u21's that have been registered.  Which ones do you reckon will make the first team squad during the season?

Carroll, Vukic, Ranger, Gosling and Kadar are the only ones from that list likely to make appearances imo. The rest would possibly be in line if we have freak injury problems, a few already turned out against Accrington.

Adjei, Samuel

Airey, Philip

Carroll, Andrew Thomas

Donaldson, Ryan Mark

Edmundsson, Joan Simun

Ferguson, Shane Kevin

Gosling, Daniel

Inman, Bradden

Kadar, Tamas

Lualua, Kazenga

Ranger, Nile

Soderberg, Ole Petter

Tavernier, James

Vuckic, Haris

Carroll, Vukic, Ranger, Gosling and Kadar are the only ones from that list likely to make appearances imo. The rest would possibly be in line if we have freak injury problems, a few already turned out against Accrington.

Thanks  O0

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Shit. 4k is nothing. FM has him on £35k or something like that ...

Another reason to why I edit my save file before starting. They and the researchers don't really have much of a clue about the club.

Has him on £10k, has since second patch of FM10 when more info on his wages was available. I can only put in what is reported in the papers, or what I hear.

If you're so insightful, I'd be very humble to hear your wisdom almighty TT!  :colo:

His hands are tied, pretty much like Greg beforehand, though they should try harder to stamp their influence over the shite judgement of the club. Fuking Spuds researchers have them by the balls and have done for a couple of years, its disgusting.

Top of my head but Xisco has a CA of 134, whereas Nolan 120; it's pretty much pointless playing the DB as its delivered. Apparently this Tiote is a soft fuk who can't tackle with Strength and tackling under 11, in fact Guthrie is better in a tackle than him. No doubt next release Andy Carroll still has a CA of around 115 as well, even though he's easily our most important player along with our ca 120 captain. load of bollocks.

Seems like you're talking about stuff you're not aware of here to be blunt. Xisco was rated by another researcher since he was in Spain, I tried to get it all in level, but no luck since the lack of communication between the different countries is terrible. As for Nolan, take a look at his profile and tell me where he can be improved. This is all off topic though.

As for the Spurs comment, I try every research phase to get their ratings down but it never happens. The guy who does it works for for Sports Interactive, so...

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Our bench for the next game will be

Krul

Sol Campbell

Tiote

Ben arfa

Shola

Ranger

Loven

Vukic

8 subs?

And it will be

Krul, R.Taylor, Campbell, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Ameobi, Lovenkrands

If Enrique gets injured at any time during the season we should just go ahead and sign a left back. If Spurs and Harry can sign anyone whenever they want why can't we?

I suppose Hughton can say he's been locked in one of the storage cupboards at SJP for the past few days and cite "technical problems" as to the reason why he couldn't fax through in time.

I have to say I'm really pleasantly surprised by the efficiency and effectiveness we've shown in the window.  We've got a sensible manager who keeps his business to himself, seems to have unified the squad, and boosted confidence and spirit among the players.  We've got a young Geordie forward who looks to be on track for great things if he continues to progress at this rate.  We've signed a true wild card, flair player who has international class and skill, is only 23, and will be motivated to succeed here because of the nature of his transfer.  In short, I didn't expect that we'd have been nearly this effective, and I think we've got a squad that puts us comfortably in the middle of the Premier League - which would be just fine with me.

• 3 weeks later...

A few games in I think we have some very good options for a club whose first objective is to stay up.

Keepers:

Harper, Krul, Forster (I assume we could recall him if absolutely necessary?) - Happy with those, the last two are lacking in experience but look to have a lot of talent even if they will make the odd mistake.

Defenders:

LB  Enrique, Kadar - Ok Kadar is now seen more of a centre back but still very confident in those two.

CB Williamson, Colo, Campbell, S Taylor - Been impressed with Colo and Williamson so far, they will make the odd mistake but if they didn't we would never have signed them. Campbell from last season looked pretty good and he is an old head we might need. S Taylor is a decent option.

RB Perch, Simpson, R Taylor - This is the real problem area, I am not in the "I have decided Perch was shit today 2 hours before kick off" club that are doing wonders for Simpson and Ryan Taylors progress as they seem to be getting better every game they don't play but I am not really confident in any of them. I am hoping Perch will improve the more he plays but in all honesty I am not expecting him to ever be much more than a decent back up.

Midfield:

Left - Jonas, Ben Arfa*1

Centre - Barton, Tiote, Nolan*2, Gosling, Smith,

Right - Routledge, Guthrie*3

1* & 2* - I would say these are more "floating players" who will probably start in the positions mentioned but during the game will just find space and do what they do best (Ben Arfa all over, Nolan tending to stay in the oppositions half).

3* I know he is better in the centre but I think he will struggle to get a game there. He doesn't have the energy or stamina to play as a typical winger but a lot of his early assists last seasons were down to very good delivery when he had more space out wide. I also rate him more than Ryan Taylor as a right winger. Guthrie is a decent option when we need to keep the ball a bit more imo.

I think Gosling will prove to be a very able deputy to Nolan, making similar runs but maybe bringing a bit more energy to the midfield.

Happy with those options, I think we now have the players to allow us to change the formation when needed.

Strikers

Carroll, Lovenkrands, Best, Shola, Ranger

Carroll obviously first choice. Loven I would only really use at home and if we are in a position to use 2 forwards, to be honest I wouldn't use him as anything more than an impact player from the bench. Ranger is very promising for me, l know "that" thread has stopped us from being allowed to rate the player because he is "bling and that" but he is quick, holds the ball up very well, has decent vision and I think with a run of games and a couple of goals his finishing will improve at a rate similar to Carroll.

Best and Shola are obviously very limited player. I see Best as someone who will be decent at holding the ball up and someone who Ben Arfa and Nolan could enjoy working off but is little goal threat himself. Shola the opposite, will score a few when he has managed to stay onside but won't offer much else.

All in all for forwards I am fairly happy but would be anxious if Carroll is out.