Stress Management: How do you eat yours?

GM

I'm pretty good at keeping calm in a stressful situation but have issues with letting go afterwards, leaving me to dwell on things, and overthink.

This. I'd say I'm remarkably restrained in immediate conflict but it dwells too long and as you say, I think about things far too much and complicate them.

GM: is this long-term stress or particular incidents? Also help yourself as much as possible: some of the stress I cause myself is me putting something off and not addressing an issue.[/obviousadvice]

I take stress away by playing ball, lifting weight, or generally working a sweat. I also play my trombone. Just generally things that I like act as a sanctuary for me. I also find visiting an actual sanctuary (church) to be soothing as well, but that is just me personally.

Aye, exercise and creativity is best cure (no pun on religion intended).

I'm pretty good at keeping calm in a stressful situation but have issues with letting go afterwards, leaving me to dwell on things, and overthink.

This. I'd say I'm remarkably restrained in immediate conflict but it dwells too long and as you say, I think about things far too much and complicate them.

GM: is this long-term stress or particular incidents? Also help yourself as much as possible: some of the stress I cause myself is me putting something off and not addressing an issue.[/obviousadvice]

It's working with an absolute cretin of a department head who has zero awareness of her own team member's workloads, far less even cares about it. She's fucked something major up in a big way, and needs to dig herself out of the hole she's created, so is now expecting us all to pick up the pieces and do a rush job on something she should have had under control weeks ago - with the net result being that we're all up shit creek without a paddle and a ridiculous deadline imposed by her, which takes no account of what else we've already got on. We're all in the same boat, it just galls me that she earns £20k more than I do for doing half the amount of work I do, but she still has the stones, having done this to us all, to whinge persistently to us all about how stressed she is. She just delegates things, takes the credit when the work is done well, and points the finger when something goes wrong, but offers fuck all support or direction in between. Plainly she's not up to the job, and to be honest, her slow and painful murder is fast becoming an option. The one positive to cling onto here is that we've all just got a new boss recently, including my Dept head, so maybe things will change for the better soon.

Yup, I agree that exercise is required...

I take stress away by playing ball, lifting weight, or generally working a sweat. I also play my trombone. Just generally things that I like act as a sanctuary for me. I also find visiting an actual sanctuary (church) to be soothing as well, but that is just me personally.

Do you find playing your trombone very useful for getting rid of stress?

I bet his is rusty.

I actually find churches really relaxing as well Baba, although I'm an atheist. There is something very peaceful about them

Durham Cathedral, man. What an oasis of tranquility that is. :smitten:

Love Durham as well.

The Cathedral in Ovieto, Italy, is my personal favourite probably.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/9072/orvietoduomo793338c.jpg

I actually find churches really relaxing as well Baba, although I'm an atheist. There is something very peaceful about them

Durham Cathedral, man. What an oasis of tranquility that is. :smitten:

Love Durham as well.

The Cathedral in Ovieto, Italy, is my personal favourite probably.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/9072/orvietoduomo793338c.jpg

You should start an "awesome architecture" thread.

I let it all just build up until I'm ready to have a total spaz out at some poor unsuspecting innocent. It's not the best method if I'm honest with you...

One hour wanking session with the full kit.

You and your "kit". :lol: :lol:

Aye, exercise and creativity is best cure (no pun on religion intended).

:snod: I know I have a different personality when I'm playing. I'm quiet and reserved usually, but I let loose a lot of my anger and passion when I am doing these things.

I bet his is rusty.

I'm sure this is some thinly veiled reference to my anatomy, but yes, I find playing my way through new music to be relaxing. Probably because I'm focusing fully on it. Should do it more.

I actually find churches really relaxing as well Baba, although I'm an atheist. There is something very peaceful about them.

The steam room is the best for me, love it. Nothing more relaxing.

:thup: Something about everyone getting together with everyone in the community, singing hymns, and breaking bread is good for the soul, even from a secular standpoint. I think everyone needs something like that in there lives. Obviously, doesn't have to be related to religion, though.