BIG CLUB

Heron

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5135/giantdriver.th.jpg

No this isn't about a group for the likes of Andy Caroll and Peter Crouch - it's about this whole 'BIG CLUB' term.

Firstly, what's your interpretation of a 'BIG CLUB'?

My interpretation, to put it basically, is that a 'BIG CLUB' is world renowned, constantly in the limelight in one way or another, has a large fan base and large financial income/outcome (?).

I therefore consider Newcastle United to be a 'BIG CLUB', which is something I'd like you all to discuss in particular.

Another talking point, is that - is the above a view which is rightly scrutinised by opposing fans, or are there interpretations just different to that of (some of) our own?

I find it an annoying term, as it's highly controversial due to it's many interpretations. I cannot grip the concept that a 'BIG CLUB' is simply a club that wins trophies because that would mean teams like Leicester City and Portsmouth are bigger clubs than us.

Anyhoo....discuss...

I find it an annoying term, as it's highly controversial due to it's many interpretations.

that ^

on the whole scale of things we're massive, cos theres thousands of clubs and we're in the top50? in the world.

Just in the prem; bigger than average i guess but not really big.

Someone ought to devise an equation for this s***

ok ill have a go

(5*History)+(2*Stadium_Size)+(4*Revenue)+(1.5*Fan_Loyalty)+(3*Current_Squad_Ability)+(3*Recent_Results)+(How_Often_on_TV)+(imbored) = BIGNESS FACTOR

Big clubs are proportional to success - the more success you have the 'bigger' the club you become.

Fair enough, but if someone like Shildon, won the league numerous times but couldn't afford to make the step up to the next flight, then Newcastle were in Premiership mediocrity for ten years, then how do you explain it? Surely, it has to be be measured on something more than just success?

Obviously that's an extreme case like...

ffs let's try and stay up for one season before we have threads like this.

I beg your pardon?

We were a 'BIG CLUB' when we were in the championship imo...

Most would argue we were smaller then  :lol:

Smaller, but not necessarily 'not BIG'... :smug:

If trophies defined a big club, then Leicester, Boro, Luton, Oxford, MK Dons, Forest, etc. are all bigger than us...which is bollocks.

Fan base, profile abroad, RECENT history (as in the last 15-20 years) as that's the time period most people from 40 and below who I'd say is the biggest market can remember, longer-term history, etc.

Guest pont-toon

No this isn't about a group for the likes of Andy Caroll and Peter Crouch - it's about this whole 'BIG CLUB' term.

My interpretation, to put it basically, is that a 'BIG CLUB' is world renowned, constantly in the limelight in one way or another, has a large fan base and large financial income/outcome (?).

I therefore consider Newcastle United to be a 'BIG CLUB', which is something I'd like you all to discuss in particular.

Another talking point, is that - is the above a view which is rightly scrutinised by opposing fans, or are there interpretations just different to that of (some of) our own?

I find it an annoying term, as it's highly controversial due to it's many interpretations. I cannot grip the concept that a 'BIG CLUB' is simply a club that wins trophies because that would mean teams like Leicester City and Portsmouth are bigger clubs than us.

Anyhoo....discuss...

our fans can argue over this till the cows come home....what do you mean by a big club, does winning a trophy count towards this status? etc etc

the majority of non nufc fans would say no -  i would agree, we arent a big club as compared to Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, and recentley (tin hat on ) Chelsea

still piss on the makems though

Anyhoo....discuss...

our fans can argue over this till the cows come home....what do you mean by a big club, does winning a trophy count towards this status? etc etc

the majority of non nufc fans would say no -  i would agree, we arent a big club as compared to Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, and recentley (tin hat on ) Chelsea

still piss on the makems though

Agree with this - we are POTENTIALLY one of the biggest clubs in England, perhaps in Europe, but we will not be considered as such until we REGULARLY win trophies. That is the defining point in my view.We have a much bigger fan base than the likes of Boro, Leicester etc who have won trophies far more recently than we have, but even if we had won the title in 96 then faded away, we would have been judged to be similar

to Blackburn, themselves one season wonders. You have to win things at least every 5 years or so to be

considered a big club by the football world, whether we like it or not.

We have always been a 'nearly' club and until we start winning silverware or competing in the CL on a regular basis, we will remain one.

It's just about the most tedious argument ever.

:facepalm:

He's right.

It's this thread that all those on rtg will quote, don't know why we do it

...and we don't do that about them? TBH I don't really give a shit what the SMB's think about us, they are and always will be inferior, the inbred little fuckwits. :smug:

Newcastle are a big club if a big club is defined by the number of followers

Newcastle are not successful club if winning trophies in the last few decades are out to go by.

If you consider being classed as big club involves the number of followers + winning trophies in the last few decades then Newcastle are not a big club.

I did not think Blackburn were big club when they won league.