Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

3 minutes ago, Pata said:

He was top class in many ways. Attitude, ability to carry the ball and go past players and buy free kicks. Shame he wasn't that talented in kicking the ball but doubt he would've played for us if that was the case.

Will always remember him fondly.

Agree. He also had a great partnership with Enrique. 

Keegan's comment when asked about Jonas's spiderman mask which he kept in his shorts then whipped out when he scored...."It must start to smell a bit" or words to that effect. :lol:

I know that was a backhanded dig at his shooting prowess, but for where we were at the time he was actually one of our better players just because he could carry the ball up the pitch.

An incredibly likeable player. Completely agree with the Miggy comparisons. If he was with us now we’d be having the same discussions that we do about Miggy. Jonas’s ability at striking a ball was so poor. In my top ten Newcastle players of my lifetime. We should do a thread on our top ten favourite players irrespective of their ability 

45 minutes ago, gbandit said:

An incredibly likeable player. Completely agree with the Miggy comparisons. If he was with us now we’d be having the same discussions that we do about Miggy. Jonas’s ability at striking a ball was so poor. In my top ten Newcastle players of my lifetime. We should do a thread on our top ten favourite players irrespective of their ability 

Jonas was more an athlete and a bit more technically gifted (still wasn't the best) but he was great for where we were. 

He was beautifully frustrating Jonas like.

Feel he had a bit more going on upstairs than miggy does but both woeful in the shooting stakes :lol:

His penchant for winning fouls and breaking up play was first class mind.

2 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

Was it Keegan that turned him into a DM? 

No, Keegan had him for about five minutes. 

He went CDM in Pardew's 4-3-3 during 2011/12.

He came back from cancer and was our best player for half a season to stop us getting relegated.

And Ashley forced John Carver to ring Jonas to tell him he wasn't staying. Truly awful bloke

On 16/11/2023 at 21:31, Mike said:

His goal vs WHU the most important goal in the last 20 years?

Few months late to answering this, but Shelvey against Leeds at Elland Road by far for me.

• 1 month later...
On 27/02/2024 at 17:09, joeyt said:

He came back from cancer and was our best player for half a season to stop us getting relegated.

What half a season was this?

I understand the massive respect for him but this is fiction.

11 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

What half a season was this?

I understand the massive respect for him but this is fiction.

I might be misremembering but I'm sure he had a clause in his contract where he'd get an extension if he played a certain amount of games.

And once that clause had expired Carver played him every game and he was one of our better players in an albeit dreadful team 

loved Jonas. wasn’t exactly top drawer quality but you always got 100% shift from him, and he cared. A born fighter 

Edited by dave s