Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

I think that a lot of his crossing problems stem from the fact that he is rarely composed while he's attempting the cross. He's always just beat one or two players and has twisted himself into all sorts of shapes so when he actually goes to cross he is off balance. Also I think that his height does him no favours as a winger. I think that it's harder to deliver a good cross at full speed for a taller man than a shorter one. He is by no means massive but he's taller than your average winger.

Was just about to say that - Jonas' main problem is his balance.  He never have a stable base from which to make a pass and a cross.  Which is obviously a technical flaw, yet his height and ungainly nature is what makes him so hard to be tackled.

Guest malandro

Agree with that. He always seems to be trying his cross whilst falling over or whatever.

He’s also right footed and due to playing on the left ends up trying to cross with his weaker foot most the time.

Agree with that. He always seems to be trying his cross whilst falling over or whatever.

He’s also right footed and due to playing on the left ends up trying to cross with his weaker foot most the time.

No.  He won't do that.  He will turn back and cross with his right.  If someone has to cross in deep, it will be Enrique.

Jonas is an asset to the side. He forces the opposition onto the backfoot, carries the possesion 20 yards forward for us each time he has it so even if it breaks down we are in a more offensive area for the second ball. He won enough free kicks yeaterday after carrying the ball forward into dangerous position to have won two games.

He is one of our few players with the creativity essential for success.

The fact that he also gets back behind the ball to tackle back is in stark contrast to some others in the side who do not have the mobility to do either.

No idea how he became a professional footballer. A wingers job is to create and chip in with a few goals, he can't cross or shoot or decide when to pass so that's obviously never happened in his life. He would be better off giving it up and chasing rabbits round a track.

Jonas will be fine, he just needs the pressure taken off him and he'll do his bit no problem. He'll really benefit from a player like HBA who will actually move for him when he has the ball, Jonas' main problem is his team-mates' fitness and movement or lack of. He'll be massive away from home, teams will fear us if we play Jonas, Routledge and HBA just because of their sheer pace and close control.

Jonas is an excellent dribbler, he really has remarkable ball-retention, take the pressure off him to create and we'll see a totally different player imo.

Jonas will be fine, he just needs the pressure taken off him and he'll do his bit no problem. He'll really benefit from a player like HBA who will actually move for him when he has the ball, Jonas' main problem is his team-mates' fitness and movement or lack of. He'll be massive away from home, teams will fear us if we play Jonas, Routledge and HBA just because of their sheer pace and close control.

Jonas is an excellent dribbler, he really has remarkable ball-retention, take the pressure off him to create and we'll see a totally different player imo.

I hope you're right. I love Jonas.

Like it or not Jonas is just not the type of winger who is going to get to the byline and whip crosses into the box. He needs players to come short looking for the ball into feet. Yet time and time and time again no one gives him the option. Jonas' link up play with Enrique shows what an asset he can be when he has someone to link up with. Other players need to help him out and look for a close pass into feet (hopefully Ben Arfa should help in this respect).

Given our squad as it stands at the moment anyone who thinks we are a better team without him is plain wrong imho.

Guest neesy111

No idea how he became a professional footballer. A wingers job is to create and chip in with a few goals, he can't cross or shoot or decide when to pass so that's obviously never happened in his life. He would be better off giving it up and chasing rabbits round a track.

:lol:  But you have made some valid points.

Jonas can't cross and he can't shoot - we have known that for some time now BUT he is certainly not shit, far from it

I don't think he played particularly well, needed to make his decisions a bit quicker BUT it's just 1 game - no need to overreact and make it out like he is rubbish

Guest neesy111

Jonas can't cross and he can't shoot - we have known that for some time now BUT he is certainly not shit, far from it

I don't think he played particularly well, needed to make his decisions a bit quicker BUT it's just 1 game - no need to overreact and make it out like he is rubbish

We've had 2 years of it though.  I just don't see his purpose as a winger, as he hardly no attributes to be one apart from his ability to run at people.  I think him in the middle would be more appropriate or even on the right, but that does leave gaps everywhere.

What I will say he's good for us now, but if we stay up this season then he won't be good enough for us to move in the right direction up the premier league IMO.

I dont think Jonas is a great player, but he is certainly decent enough. At the moment, excluding Ben Arfa, we dont really have much of a choice as far as our wingers are concerned. Jonas just needs to improve his delivery, just like Routledge and the controlling of the ball, then we should be fine.

I'd be very interested to see the stats on which player turns the ball over most often, my money would be on Jonas. And yes I know he is at least trying to be offensive, but the turnovers have got to be balanced by assists or goals and Jonas provides neither.