Must we?

Guest Moe-Ali

Guest Moe-Ali

Do we really need to SIGN a striker, rather than buying one, because we will have 3 perfectly good ones(Martins Owen Shola), come next season.

But what we wont have next season if we buy a striker, is defending good enough to get us where we need be.

I say loan one or two strikers and buy two or three defenders.

It would work.

Viduka - Loan

Adebayor - Loan

Bridge - 5million

Navarro - 5 million.

Wes Brown  6million.

Given

Taylor Navarro Brown Bridge

Duff    Parker    Dyer    Zoggy

Martins  Adebayor.

Would make for a very strong bench.

And a very exciting team.

I just did that on FM (with some cheating as Arsenal and M'Boro wouldn't loan out the strikers, and neither Bridge, Brown and Navarro was for sale, and neither of them wanted to come here before I gave them 2 week fines), and it worked like a charm.

I say go for it!

i think that a striker is what we need to keep us in the right end of the epl. and any good squad should have four strikers, and since luque obviously isn't even regarded as a squad player anymore i really think we need someone in.

viduka or adebayor on loan - probably not the worst option, but neither club will be willing to loan them out. arse have already agreed to letting bentner stay at brum for the whole season, and viduka i still an important player for boro..... so that's that for your plan.

i do agree that bridge is one of the best signings we could possibly make, as for brown and navarro - no thanks!!!

conjo - excactly how much fun is fm if you go about is as you do?

The fundamental flaw in this argument is that Shola is NOT a good enough striker.

He would be fantastic at a Championship club, do a decent job in a bottom-seven of the Prem type club. But he's nowhere near good enough for where we want to be, even just the top 10.

Martins is still proving himself, we don't know if he's going to make it yet. But he's clearly a better player than Shola,a nd could well turn out to be a great buy.

But Shola - donkey shite.

Guest smoggeordie

Any club that wants to be successful should have 4 strikers of good/very good quality. If we don't sign a top striker we're left with Michael "crippled" Owen, Shola "hip" Ameobi, Obafemi "sore hamstring" Martins  and Kieron "Who?" Dyer.

Guest theunis

YEah them loaning those players is insane dont think a they will ever loan those quality to us, we will have to dig in our pockets.

Ameobi is not a bad striker neither is he a good one so i do agree we need another striker once our injuries stop we should be fine but singing another striker will help although i think defenders higher priority

In reality we won't be able to loan any striker of proven premiership quality.

Viduka - no chance Southgate would loan him to us, he's a regular

Adebayor - no chance Wenger would loan him to us, he's a regular

I can't think of any decent striker, certainly in the prem, who you could get.  Not unless Diouf shags Big Sam's wife and then spits in his face.

You usually only get fringe players like Aladiere or misfits like Luque on loan, ie loan players are a gamble;  at this point in time we can't afford to gamble, you can't build your hopes of survival on a player like Rossi. We haven't got time for players to settle in & gain experience either.

Personally I don't subscribe to your theory about only needing to buy defenders.  Luque will be sold, Shola isn't good enough and Owen may be injury prone.  Dyer is not a striker.  Therefore we desperately need to buy another top class striker right now & for next season - we cannot score goals at the moment, unless you think we can regularly win our games 1-0, which we have proven utterly incapable of, we need to prioritise a proven goal scorer in Jan. imo of course.

Guest the_serbian_mag

Adebayor is a clown, and as for Viduka, if we didn't get him while he was at Leeds, we shouldn't get him now either!!!

As for Shola.... I can't go trough it againg. He's good enough to be a substitute, perhaps...

As for Shola.... I can't go trough it againg. He's good enough to be a substitute, perhaps...

I actually hate Ameobi playing for us, i just don't see what he offers us. Even more crazy that he has stopped potential coming to fruition with us in Chopra and Lua Lua. If Chopra was given the amount of chances and time Ameobi has had i think he'd be much better.

I think it will be hard to buy a top striker because they all know we have Owen who will be abck and Martins + Shola. The sale of Luque may help lure a striker here but I think a loan stiker is a much better option seeiing as we do need the cash for defenders.

Or a cheap'ish striker with maybe 2 seasons left before retirement, someone Like Jan Koller.

I think it will be hard to buy a top striker because they all know we have Owen who will be abck and Martins + Shola. The sale of Luque may help lure a striker here but I think a loan stiker is a much better option seeiing as we do need the cash for defenders.

Or a cheap'ish striker with maybe 2 seasons left before retirement, someone Like Jan Koller.

I can see the sense in getting in an striker at the end of their career certainly, but as I've said above I doubt you get someone decent on a loan deal.  I'd be happy with Koller but I expect he'd need to be really unhappy to want to move now.  We should have gone for an experienced striker like JFH the minute Owen got injured imo.  Now we'd be looking at someone like Hartson who'd be grateful for prem football.

If I was a top striker I wouldn't worry about Martins or Shola tbh

Guest Gemmill

I actually hate Ameobi playing for us, i just don't see what he offers us. Even more crazy that he has stopped potential coming to fruition with us in Chopra and Lua Lua. If Chopra was given the amount of chances and time Ameobi has had i think he'd be much better.

Shola's a better player than Chopra.  Chopra maybe didn't quite get a proper crack of the whip at NUFC, but nor was he good enough to.  Lua Lua wanted to be a first choice striker and he was never even close to being good enough for that.  Still isn't.  If he had been happy to be 3rd or 4th choice he would still be here.

I'm all for spending our cash to a minimum in January, bringing in players that'll just get us a respectable position, and then going all out in the summer.

Viduka/Lua Lua/etc -these type of players, aswell as Distin and Bridge... would do me nicely for this season.

I just did that on FM (with some cheating as Arsenal and M'Boro wouldn't loan out the strikers, and neither Bridge, Brown and Navarro was for sale, and neither of them wanted to come here before I gave them 2 week fines), and it worked like a charm.

I say go for it!

:lol:

Fair price at 5-6m I would say, considering the going rate for players now. I wonder if you actually watch players before judging them. Has been solid whenever he played.

Because he has got class defenders to help him out, he would be a disaster here.

Fair price at 5-6m I would say, considering the going rate for players now. I wonder if you actually watch players before judging them. Has been solid whenever he played.

Because he has got class defenders to help him out, he would be a disaster here.

And you're saying that based on? Yes he's playing in a better team, but you cant totally discredit his performance based on that. 1 thing I do have against him is he seems prone to injury, but other than that he's always played well when given the chance.

Guest Deep456

Do we really need to SIGN a striker, rather than buying one, because we will have 3 perfectly good ones(Martins Owen Shola), come next season.

But what we wont have next season if we buy a striker, is defending good enough to get us where we need be.

I say loan one or two strikers and buy two or three defenders.

It would work.

Viduka - Loan

Adebayor - Loan

Bridge - 5million

Navarro - 5 million.

Wes Brown 6million.

Given

Taylor Navarro Brown Bridge

Duff Parker Dyer Zoggy

Martins Adebayor.

Would make for a very strong bench.

And a very exciting team.

Get Taylor out the team now he is shit just because he is a geordie doesn't mean we need to parade him. He isn't good enough as he showed on saturday.