Goal scoring problems?

ATB

Was just thinking for my self tonight over our goal difference, and etc, and that we have made 7 goals and, for ex, Liverpool only has made 2 (I think), and that is good. but then it hit me. in 3 of the 4 matches we have only scored 1 goal. that is not especially good and both in the blackpool game and wolves game we have had good goalscoring opportunities and has not scored.

should we be worried or not? I know, and I think, we are short up front. But do we have enough goal scorer in our squad? as I said. we have been creating chances. maybe it will start going our way soon.

worried or not? that is the big question!

I don't think we have enough goal scorers in our squad, can't argue with that really.

It would have been great if we could have added a forward in the summer, but we have a load of poor ones on our books... so I can see why we didn't.

The prospect of Carroll getting injured is terrifying at the moment, but we'll just have to get through as best we can.

Our problem imo is that our forwards are rarely supplemented from midfield or (especially) defence. I can't remember the last time an NUFC defender scored more than 3 or 4 in a season. Similarly, our midfield is usually quite low scoring.

I'm not as worried about relying on Carroll to score goals (because I think he has the talent and temperament to do so) as I am us setting up for and playing virtually the whole match simply pinging the ball at him from all angles and expecting things to happen automatically. There was far too much of that against Blackpool for my liking.

Rely on him to put the ball in the net yes, but don't just assume he can do it all on his own ffs.

Guest neesy111

Carroll should get us some goals. The question is if the midfield (Ben Arfa) will follow up. We really needed a proven PL striker in the transfer window, though, as if Carroll gets knackered we're as good as fucked.

I said the same thing yesterday then got shot down with some old friends, and told I sound like Andy Gray, fucking idiots tbh.

I'm not as worried about relying on Carroll to score goals (because I think he has the talent and temperament to do so) as I am us setting up for and playing virtually the whole match simply pinging the ball at him from all angles and expecting things to happen automatically. There was far too much of that against Blackpool for my liking.

Rely on him to put the ball in the net yes, but don't just assume he can do it all on his own ffs.

Yeah, I agree. Blackpool are old opponents and had us well sussed. They knew we weren't great at playing the ball through the middle, and relied a lot on our wide men. They stifled us in the midfield and we ended up relying on long balls up to Carroll. It's not a bad weapon to have, but if it's your only weapon then you're going to struggle.

We knew last year if we got promoted, we'd have to broaden our attacking threat a bit.

There are a lot of people (at SJP) living in cloud cuckoo land as far as goals are concered, we have no firepower beyond Andy Carroll, which is disgraceful, frankly.

I know you hate Loven with a passion, but he scored  3 in 8 starts or something like that during the relegation season. Not too bad tbh.

There are a lot of people (at SJP) living in cloud cuckoo land as far as goals are concered, we have no firepower beyond Andy Carroll, which is disgraceful, frankly.

I agree with you a lot of the time, but I think when it comes to Newcastle you are over critical.

We really need Ben Arfa to be a hit up front because other than Carroll, our other strikers are mediocre at best in this division.

We really needed a Premiership quality forward but we also needed cover on the wings. I think the club saw Ben Arfa as a way of killing two birds with one stone and a chance to bring in a quality player at the same time. He needs to hit the ground running for our sake though and a lot will probably depend on him and Carroll staying fit.

Too early to say in my opinion. But it would be interesting to see who would play upfront should Carroll be out. Currently, i dont like the choices that we have.

Too early to say in my opinion. But it would be interesting to see who would play upfront should Carroll be out. Currently, i dont like the choices that we have.

If fit, I reckon it'd be Shola first choice to replace Carroll, with Nolan, Ben Arfa, Loven or whoever playing off him. Xisco or Best if they ever turn up. I reckon he sees Ranger in the same 'big striker' category as Shola and Carroll - don't see him getting many games unless they're both crocked. I'm surprised he hasn't been sent out on loan with a recall clause to be honest, he has real potential but he's at the age where he really needs games to develop.

I agree most of these are not names that will scare opposition managers. We have no choice but to see what happens between now and January. Xisco and Best at the moment look like dead wood so the aim would probably be to offload both and bring a new forward in.

Would be more worried if we weren't making any chances. Nolan has missed some sitters this season, but at least he's getting in the right areas. Hopefully Ben Arfa can create a bit more space for a few more for someone to tuck away.

Guest neesy111

Agreed.

Guest neesy111

I think if we give Xisco a proper long run in the team....... he'd prove to be better than shola and lovenkrands.

Same, but I think Ranger needs to start having a look at again ahead of Shola and Best.

The best teams have players who can score from midfield as well as attack. This was what Nolan was initially bought for until the penny dropped that his lack of mobility is a liability in midfield. Players like Jonas and Routledge have a duty to chip in as well, and if they don't then we should be looking to replace them when we have the funds. This season we'll just have to hope the forwards who are here will get enough to keep us up. 

I think if we give Xisco a proper long run in the team....... he'd prove to be better than shola and lovenkrands.

Same, but I think Ranger needs to start having a look at again ahead of Shola and Best.

Nile should be sent out on loan to get some first team experience or he will never make it here! He could be better than Shola or Loven but the step up from the reserves to a regular Premier league starter is huge and giving him some 5 mins in the first team as a sub won't help the case at all...I kinda have a feeling that LuaLua when he returns from the loan will a much much better player