Advice on PVR'S

Guest thenorthumbrian

Guest Gemmill

Just get Sky + tbh.  Whenever these things are reviewed in Which Magazine Sky + always comes out on top.

If you aren't interested in Sky + let me know and I'll have a look on the Which review and tell you which one they recommend.

Guest Gemmill

Here are the Best Buys from the latest Which review:

Humax PVR9200T

Price: £190

Score: 79 %

This PVR from Humax works with Freeview only.

It stores up to 80 hours of programmes; picture and sound quality are both excellent.

Sky digital Sky+

Price: £89

Score: 91 %

This Best Buy PVR works with Sky digital satellite TV only.

It stores up to 40 hours of programmes. Picture and sound quality are both excellent.

Topfield TF5800PVR

Price: £250

Score: 78 %

This Best Buy PVR from Topfield works with Freeview only.

It has a large-capacity hard drive that's capable of storing up to 80 hours of programmes. Picture and sound quality are both excellent. It has a viewing card slot that allows to you to subscribe to Top-up TV — a package of extra digital channels.

Telewest TV Drive

Price: £75

Score: 73 %

The Telewest TV Drive is the UK's first cable television PVR.

Recorded picture quality is excellent (as good as live TV) and the hard drive will store about 80hrs of telly.

Sky digital Sky HD

Price: £299

The Sky HD box is the latest personal video recorder (PVR) from the satellite TV broadcaster.

It's almost identical to the Best Buy Sky+ box but with one significant difference. It's capable of receiving and recording high-definition television (HDTV).

Guest thenorthumbrian

Here are the Best Buys from the latest Which review:

Humax PVR9200T

Price: £190

Score: 79 %

This PVR from Humax works with Freeview only.

It stores up to 80 hours of programmes; picture and sound quality are both excellent.

Sky digital Sky+

Price: £89

This Best Buy PVR works with Sky digital satellite TV only.

It stores up to 40 hours of programmes. Picture and sound quality are both excellent.

Topfield TF5800PVR

Price: £250

Score: 78 %

This Best Buy PVR from Topfield works with Freeview only.

It has a large-capacity hard drive that's capable of storing up to 80 hours of programmes. Picture and sound quality are both excellent. It has a viewing card slot that allows to you to subscribe to Top-up TV — a package of extra digital channels.

Telewest TV Drive

Price: £75

Score: 73 %

The Telewest TV Drive is the UK's first cable television PVR.

Recorded picture quality is excellent (as good as live TV) and the hard drive will store about 80hrs of telly.

Sky digital Sky HD

Price: £299

The Sky HD box is the latest personal video recorder (PVR) from the satellite TV broadcaster.

It's almost identical to the Best Buy Sky+ box but with one significant difference. It's capable of receiving and recording high-definition television (HDTV).

Thanks for that help Gemmill, I looked at sky+ but with the subscription its a bit pricey for me.

I am looking for a one off payment or something which doesn't cost as much per month which is why the Topup tv Anytime service looks my best bet.

Me dads got the Humax PVR9200T in the kitchen for his cooking programmes and he's just bought me Nana one as well/

I'm sure he only paid £150 for them (each), look around. (might have been Costco in Gateshead)

I've got Sky+ and the Humax is much easier to use, faster, and a much better quality product. But, its freeview only, but if thats what you need it for, this kit is class.

Put it this way, me 86yrd old nana is using it. She's recording, playing back, deleting and watching other channels when recording another, she's over the moon. She's learned all that in the space of two weeks, which isn't bad for someone who struggled with a VHS for 15 years!

PS: Found it online for £170, but am sure you can get it cheaper.