Tuck yer shirt in son!!!

themanupstairs

No idea if this has been mentioned/discussed/noticed elsewhere, but for some reason it gets on my tits that our players start games with their shirts tucked out of their shorts. Is this down to indiscipline? or is it part of the "roll your sleeves up" siege mentality? Or does it just not matter at all?

I had it drummed into my head quite early on by coaches who reprimanded players who didn't have their shirts tucked in before kick off. It was fine to have the shirt out by 80th minute when you're defending a 1-0 lead, and really having to put a shift in. It was part of the process. A coach I had even went to the extent to claim that under FIFA rules, having your shirt tucked out is a yellow card offence :lol:

I don't believe that the old adage of "Tuck yer shirt in" is a British thing, as you can see that it's a tradition in MOST organized and pro football all around the world to look smart and disciplined on the pitch.

What say you?

:dowiespin: Who gives a f***?

I do! Am I a weirdo like?  :kinnear:

Aye

I guess a good thing if this is your main gripe at the minute it is a sign that things are going well.

Haha I'm not complaining just for the sake of it. It's something I've noticed as it doesn't seem to be a random thing where some players tuck it in and some out. It seems that ALL have their shirts tucked out bar Steven Harper, and Sol Campbell (from what I've noticed in the reserve photos).

At 15 years old I was once actually sent to the bus during training and banned for one match due to me having donned a pair of gloves and a wolly. I was ill, in the middle of winter, and did not want to miss training. Good old Tony Rudall saw it as a sign of rebellion and I was told off in front of the whole squad. Didn't you lot grow up with the Tony Rudalls of this world?

Always used to tuck mine in when playing as a winger for the school team. Specially when there was lasses watching since I was the nearest player to them. Gives them a good view of your arse and thighs. But that wasn't the only reason; I felt like a better player and more comfortable with my shirt tucked in.  :thup:

Always used to tuck mine in when playing as a winger for the school team. Specially when there was lasses watching since I was the nearest player to them. Gives them a good view of your arse and thighs. But that wasn't the only reason; I felt like a better player and more comfortable with my shirt tucked in.  :thup:

:lol:

:icon_puke_r: :icon_puke_r: :icon_puke_r: :icon_puke_r:

it depends on what position they are playing aswell. tough guy centre halves should have shirts tucked in aswell as having short sleeves, dribbling 70's style wingers have shirts out and extra long sleeves long enough for the player to grip the cuff in this hand, ball playing central midfielders should have the top tucked in loosely on one side only, bustling centre forwards should have shirts tucked in, and rolled up long sleeves.

it depends on what position they are playing aswell. tough guy centre halves should have shirts tucked in aswell as having short sleeves, dribbling 70's style wingers have shirts out and extra long sleeves long enough for the player to grip the cuff in this hand, ball playing central midfielders should have the top tucked in loosely on one side only, bustling centre forwards should have shirts tucked in, and rolled up long sleeves.

Spot on.

always tuck mine in, just habit rather than being taught to. Not really bothered and don't think it should be obligatory as you are imposing a "style" rather than teaching some sort of discipline or other. By this I mean who says having your shirt out is "untidy", I would say that any under-40 would disagree but any over 40 would probably think that in the last century this would have been totally unnacceptable...Sign of the times more than anything...

Good thread tho'.