Shane Ferguson joins Millwall on a permanent deal

Pilko

Shane Ferguson looking to kick-start season

SHANE FERGUSON is hoping that his season starts now after enduring a testing time in the second half of 2011.

Ferguson – who sparkled on the first-team stage last season and was even talked about as a potential replacement for the departed Jose Enrique at one stage – sprinted on for the dying seconds of the 4-2 defeat at Norwich City at the weekend in one of the plus-points for his manager Alan Pardew, who rates the once-capped Northern Ireland ace as one of his best young players.

Pardew may have overseen Newcastle’s 4-0 loss at the Britannia Stadium last season, but the game produced a moment of raw skill as Ferguson danced his way through the defence and has now commanded thousands of hits on Youtube – a piece of skill that was a sight for sore eyes in modern football where taking on a man is sometimes frowned upon by coaches.

The skilful Irish starlet was described by England and Newcastle United legend Paul Gascoigne as “one of the best” he had ever worked with during the Geordie icon’s work with the Academy two years ago whilst studying for his coaching badges.

And last season Fergie was handed his chance first by Chris Hughton and then Pardew, with both rating the left-sided player as a hot prospect for the future at St James’ Park – and an international tug of war commencing between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Disaster struck for Ferguson on an ill-fated July night at Darlington in pre-season when he was hospitalised with an ankle injury which ruled him out of the start of the season, and niggling injuries and thigh problems have meant Ferguson has been restricted to just two appearances in the first team this season – and just a brief cameo in the Premier League at Carrow Road.

But what will be one of Ferguson’s shortest appearances in football will be remembered by him as one of the most significant.

Ferguson told the Chronicle: “It was a great feeling – even for a few seconds.

“It is nice to be in and around the squad again.

“I loved coming on at Norwich, I didn’t matter that I was only on for a few minutes it was just nice to be back in a black-and-white shirt.

“As long as I get to play for Newcastle, I don’t mind.”

Ferguson was on the comeback trail with United earlier this year when he appeared at Nottingham Forest in the 4-3 Carling Cup win at the City Ground.

However, after overcoming his ankle problems, he picked up another problem while working with Northern Ireland Under-21s during the last international break.

Yesterday in front of just a few assembled scouts, media men and coaches, Ferguson’s impressive display in the wind and icy cold rain reminded the handful of observers just what a player Newcastle still have on their hands, and a player that didn’t cost them a penny.

Reflecting on his return game in the 1-1 draw with Bolton, Ferguson said: “It’s just good to be out there again. It has been a frustrating season for me so far. I got injured again in the international break and that was my first match back.

“I feel good again so that’s the most important thing. My fitness is getting back, hopefully I can kick on from here.

“I strained my thigh during the international break and I was out for three weeks.

“Other than that it has been niggly injuries all season, I just hope it is the end of them.

“I want to just keep playing matches after so long out.”

Ferguson is in the squad for this weekend’s clash with Swansea and is ready to step in if needed.

The Londonderry lad said: “The lads who stepped in at the weekend done brilliantly.

“There are not faults there, but if I’m needed, I’m ready.

“Whether it’s midfield or defence I don’t mind.

“I can play both positions and I think that’s a good thing, the more positions the better.

“I can play midfield and I enjoy it there too.

“But wherever the manager wants me to play I will.”

United go into the game in seventh spot but looking for their first win in four games.

Ferguson may have had to watch from the sidelines but he has been mightily impressed by the campaign so far.

Still just 20 and with his best years ahead of him, he said: “The team has been doing brilliantly all season.

“The atmosphere in the dressing room has been brilliant as have the fans.

“They have helped the team so much.

“It’s just great to see where the team is in the table – long may it continue.”

And he admits the home game with Swansea is a game he’d love to add to his eight top-flight appearances so far.

Ferguson said: “We have been brilliant at home all season.

“This is definitely one we will be looking to win.

“I think we can do well.

“In front of that home crowd we have a great chance.

“You can’t beat 52,000 fans in there, it’s the best atmosphere in the country.

“And you just want to be involved in that.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/12/14/shane-ferguson-looking-to-kick-start-season-72703-29949998/#ixzz1gWEAjEvs

:love:

I would like him to go out on loan like. Some first team experience will do him a lot of good.

Though as it stands, we are short in defence so we might have to call upon his services at some point I guess.

At one time I would have agreed to a loan move but as we are so weak on the left, now is not the time to let him go. We know from last year just how much of a threat he can be down the left (for anyone whose forgot, have a recap on youtube), and he is always good cover for the left back spot.

From what I have seen so far from Shane vs Sameobi, Shane is clearly ahead for me and its just a shame he suffered this injury.

While Pardew wont grant my wish and play him instead of Jonas, at least having him on the bench gives us a chance to swap them if we decide we want to to try and create something down the left.

At one time I would have agreed to a loan move but as we are so weak on the left, now is not the time to let him go. We know from last year just how much of a threat he can be down the left (for anyone whose forgot, have a recap on youtube), and he is always good cover for the left back spot.

From what I have seen so far from Shane vs Sameobi, Shane is clearly ahead for me and its just a shame he suffered this injury.

While Pardew wont grant my wish and play him instead of Jonas, at least having him on the bench gives us a chance to swap them if we decide we want to to try and create something down the left.

You want to see him start ahead of Jonas??

Have you got some motive other than football?? Have i missed something here? Do you have a certain ''keeness'' for the lad or summat?

Have you got some motive other than football?? Have i missed something here? Do you have a certain ''keeness'' for the lad or summat?

:snod:

His ability to receive a ball out wide and cross into the box one touch later.

His ability to scamper down to the bye line and whip balls in.

His ability to win tackles (like Jonas).

His ability to shoot.

His ability to get stuck in and tackle.

His ability to shoot.

Surely looking through that he'd be a better replacement for Obertan, no?

His ability to shoot.

Surely looking through that he'd be a better replacement for Obertan, no?

No. Obertan is at least getting forward and is still relatively new for us. Jonas cant attack. Virtually every game you will see him receive a ball on the half way line out wide and then freeze.

I appreciate Im am a lone voice against Jonas but hey ho.  :)

No. Obertan is at least getting forward and is still relatively new for us. Jonas cant attack. Virtually every game you will see him receive a ball on the half way line out wide and then freeze.

That just sounds like you're describing Obertan and not Jonas  :razz: