NUFC vs Stoke Pre Match Thread - Sun 26th Sept 4.10pm (live on Sky)

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Krul

R Taylor Campbell Coloccini Enrique

Routledge Barton Tiote Ben Arfa

Nolan

Carroll   

I am pretty certain the reason Houghton substitute R Taylor is to save him for Sunday......

Playing Ryan Taylor against Etherington is suicide, he'll get done for pace over and over. Perch is quick and seems to be strong at making recovery tackles, this type of match is suited perfectly to Perch's game.

Perch's positioning is shocking - Etherington will destroy both of them, at least Taylor offers us something going forward From a set-piece standing still.

This fixture is extremely important, because I think it could provide a strong indication of how this season will pan out.  We know there is talent enough to stay up based on the Villa, Everton & Chelsea results, but consistency is what distinguishes the top half.  Can you maintain the work rate and motivation against sides like Stoke? 

If we can produce another good performance, and another good result, then I'll be fairly confident that we'll stay up by a big margin.  If we tank, then we are in for a roller coaster.

Didn't see the Chelsea game, but would anyone consider breaking up the Williamson/Colo partnership for this game?  These physical games like Stoke must be the reason we signed Campbell. 

This fixture is extremely important, because I think it could provide a strong indication of how this season will pan out.  We know there is talent enough to stay up based on the Villa, Everton & Chelsea results, but consistency is what distinguishes the top half.  Can you maintain the work rate and motivation against sides like Stoke? 

If we can produce another good performance, and another good result, then I'll be fairly confident that we'll stay up by a big margin.  If we tank, then we are in for a roller coaster.

Didn't see the Chelsea game, but would anyone consider breaking up the Williamson/Colo partnership for this game?  These physical games like Stoke must be the reason we signed Campbell. 

No way.

Why for, no need to break up what has been a fairly solid partnership

I'm quietly confident in getting a good result. I am wary of a repeat of Blackpool but we're not the same team, the 2 new lads just totally change the way we play when we're attacking and it'll be too much for Stoke imo. It won't be a pretty game but i think we have 2 able players to nullify their biggest threats, Williamson marking Jones and Carroll on Shawcross.

They love to get the ball out wide and whip balls in. They won't score a goal from open play as long we nullify the source, their wingers. I'm confident Enrique will keep Pennant quiet and have faith that Perch has the attributes to minimise Etherington's threat.

3-0, with 2 goals coming late on in the 2nd half.

I'm quietly confident in getting a good result. I am wary of a repeat of Blackpool but we're not the same team, the 2 new lads just totally change the way we play when we're attacking and it'll be too much for Stoke imo. It won't be a pretty game but i think we have 2 able players to nullify their biggest threats, Williamson marking Jones and Carroll on Shawcross.

They love to get the ball out wide and whip balls in. They won't score a goal from open play as long we nullify the source, their wingers. I'm confident Enrique will keep Pennant quiet and have faith that Perch has the attributes to minimise Etherington's threat.

I agree apart from that bit.

I agree apart from that bit.

I don't think he's going to shut him out completely or anything and Perch isn't the greatest by any stretch but i think this is the type of player Perch is most suited to. Etherington is weaker for a start and he's not particuarly skillful or intelligent either, he's more of a knock it past and sprint type and i'd fancy Perch up against him purely because he's got the better physical attributes. Ryan Taylor is a mess of a defender, who will get slaughtered because he's so slow. Do we have anyone else?

Krul

Perch Willy Collo Enrique

Ranger Barton Tiote Ben Arfa

Nolan

Carroll

Pretty much the same as Everton, but I'd give Ranger another go on the right, looks a lot more threatening than Routledge and will give us some added height. I'd rather play Gutierrez down the left and Ben Arfa just off Carroll but Nolans bound to play.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Does anybody know a good place to watch that game in Amsterdam, as I will be there over the weekend?!?

There's a Pub in the Red Light district called Old Wembley (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid=15177038976658526899&q=Caf%C3%A9+Old+Wembley,+Amsterdam,+Nederland&hl=en&cd=1&cad=src:pplink&ei=1gmbTPSNEI_VjAey6omnAw&sig2=n1b_eHpbjfFLMvGphSRqZA), they have Sky. Or you could try the Sports Bar just outside the Red Light District (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid=3273209814951599961&q=The+Globe&hl=en&cd=1&cad=src:pplink&ei=fwqbTMv1O8O3jAeS3InpDw&sig2=70Ut34x_2MqJcmP8L05AJg)

Would like to see

Krul

Perch    Colo   Wiliamson  Jose

Tiote

Barton

Routledge                       Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

What I love most at the minute is how it suddenly feels exciting again to support NUFC. I probably haven't felt this way since 02 or 03. We've got some class new players and everyone is fighting tooth and nail for the cause. I can't wait for this match to come.

Lol. Its gotta be the everton lineup for me, with krul in ofc. Think ranger should be given a go on the right in the second half if rout is struggling, jonas to come on if we are chasing the game. Think ferguson deserves a spot on the bench, I'd drop loven off it as he looks well off the pace.

Would like to see

Krul

Perch    Colo   Wiliamson  Jose

Tiote

Barton

Routledge                       Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

agreed, potentially our strongest line up,

and one which would have comfortably beaten a poor Blackpool two weeks ago leaving us in the top 4.