Come on guys - we can raise the £250 plus VAT for the fixture list license!

Guest pricedoutoftoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Servers. Forum Software. Hosting Fees.

Servers are hosting fees but fair enough.

Technically those are things forum owners expect when starting a forum (I run a non football forum and understand the financial stress though). Still can't see how I can contribute to the forum running costs. A token donation is no problem. Edit: I can see a post by Andy but no link in his sig anymore by the looks of it. No shame in having a forum donation button.

This was just a stupid fucking idea to make discussing future fixtures less convoluted. No more no less.

We don't ask for donations all year 'round because it would be difficult to keep track of... We'd prefer to hassle you when it's convenient for us. :razz:

Guest neesy111

I think the reason of not giving the premier league another £300 of money when they receive £100's millions in TV/Sponsorship which comes ultimely from our pockets is sufficient enough.

Hopefully this thread will be locked soon.

There's been a lot of good arguments as to why we shouldn't cough up for the rights, and none for why we should. I think it's settled tbh.

No there hasn't. The 'No' people have just said you can get them anywhere else. That's not a good argument as the point is we could discuss them openly in threads without the forum be sued. That's better than any of the arguments so far. :razz:

People saying the forum running costs would be better suited have a point. But there isn't a thread for that (for reasons Andy has now stated) so it's a moot point at the moment.

But you've already said you're not in which is fair enough but if 30+ others say they're in what's the problem (again, unless the admin say it's too much of a headache to organise)?

There's no reason to fight to make a point you're not interested people. You're not in; which is fair enough and as definitive as can be. No need to justify your decision ;)

Maybe the biggest problem is next season when it has to be done all over again! ;D

However, I accept it aint gonna happen :shifty:

The financial cost to the members, and the cost to the administration in terms of time, energy, and effort are significantly larger than the benefit of being able to see fixtures without opening a new tab on your browser.

I think the reason of not giving the premier league another £300 of money when they receive £100's millions in TV/Sponsorship which comes ultimely from our pockets is sufficient enough.

Hopefully this thread will be locked soon.

Don't really see why it should be locked. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to discuss. :dontknow:

You want me to spend my hard earned currency to feed the ever expanding ego of "The Greatest League in the World"?! Rubbish!

Please, man. I can get all sort of obscure statistical data on the internet free of charge, yet I'm supposed to pay for something that is generally common knowledge. Anyone who pays for this is a fool really. Not worth it at all.

Once again, Baba has it in a nutshell.

I would like to have the fixtures on here obviously, but I don't think we should be part of the ridiculous practice of charging non-profit fan sites for them.

What bugs me is that what you'd really be paying for is simply to be able to write a team name in front of W/L/D when talking about what one think is possible to gain from x amount of upcoming games, usually only in the pre-match thread or post-match part of the match thread. Also that this will inevitably make someone who donates to this not donate to the site hosting when that time of the year comes around, and that is far more important than being able to do what I said earlier in the post a few times now and then.

Not to mention this would be an annual thing as well, so there'd be two drives for the members money each year. And I don'tmsee the need in risking to upset the balance of things by putting this (bigger) drive in annually as well. There's just no need to pay that sort or money for what you get in return, which is nothing. And it baffles me that 19 people so far want to be a part of buying nothing.

The financial cost to the members, and the cost to the administration in terms of time, energy, and effort are significantly larger than the benefit of being able to see fixtures without opening a new tab on your browser.

To be fair, this is the only concern I have repeated throughout. And a fair one O0

As for financial cost to the members...there's no obligation to participate in the idea so I'm sure those who were potentially up for it are grown-up enough to decide for themselves. Again, as said in the OP...this is not a suggestion in any way, shape, or form that it's a must for all. So 'The financial cost to the members' is an over-statement tbf. Just a small group chipping in a tenner each. It's very simple and hardly the new poll tax! Just a "stupid f***ing idea"!

I'm getting sick of putting smilies in over and over to make sure people know I'm lighthearted about this. So just take it a given from now on. ;)

D'oh!

Thanks for the effort, tell me when the account is set up and I'll transfer via paypal. And yes I will be very happy to contribute when admin need some dosh for the server...they are not mutually exclusive.

Interesting to see how quite a few are so adamant against it, I mean fair enough if you don't want to contribute, but why the need to prevent others from contributing...seriously it does not make you less of a fan if you don't contribute.

We don't care about servers, we care about fixture lists. If you need more computing power I've got an old Windows 98 machine you can have. Must be an upgrade on the box we're currently running if last night is anything to go by.

The problems when it gets busy are nothing to do with the server and everything to do with our crocked database and forum software.

Which database are you using?

How much is left in our server kitty? Donation time is usually round now, isn't it?

Anyway, if this gets going, I would probably contribute to it. Not because it's that important to me, but because it seems important to other people on here I wouldn't mind helping out.

Nice idea in principle and I acknowledge the lack of mutual exclusiveness between this and the server costs, however if i recall correctly the last time round the server costs were more as the forum was growing and needed better servers / hosting / technical shit I know nowt about. It seemed a bit more of an effort for the admins to get the money in and I'm sure they don't particularly enjoy having to put the begging bowl out. Whilst people might say now they will pay for both, I have a sneaking feeling that if it comes down to it a few people will think they contributed to fixtures and won't want to contribute again.

All of the above is conjecture and my memory may have failed me so apologies if that's not what happened earlier this year / last.

Nice idea in principle and I acknowledge the lack of mutual exclusiveness between this and the server costs, however if i recall correctly the last time round the server costs were more as the forum was growing and needed better servers / hosting / technical shit I know nowt about. It seemed a bit more of an effort for the admins to get the money in and I'm sure they don't particularly enjoy having to put the begging bowl out. Whilst people might say now they will pay for both, I have a sneaking feeling that if it comes down to it a few people will think they contributed to fixtures and won't want to contribute again.

All of the above is conjecture and my memory may have failed me so apologies if that's not what happened earlier this year / last.

Obviously there are limits to how often you can ask people for money but donating a small amount once in no way puts people off doing it again... in fact it increases the chances of them doing it again because they feel a sense of commitment to the place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-in-the-door_technique

It's A level psychology.

Why is everyone getting so pissy about this?

You'd think he'd just created a thread asking for people to sign up to help him blow up a bank of summic

I'd imagine that would be quite a popular cause in the current economic climate? Might be a good ruse to use to get the cash together.

Luca - interesting, i'll have a read.

I think POT has adopted a very reasonable, pleasant attitude in this thread and find it sad that some posters are responding with contempt rather than a similarly reasonable tone. I think he wanted to open a dialogue rather than a heated debate.

Once again, it's not that the information isn't available. We know the information is freely available on other websites.

The whole point is that it would allow us to talk freely about the fixtures.

Personally I reckon that's worth a tenner, however, I'm in a minority and there's not enough support for it so it won't go ahead.

Guest Roger Kint

It's just absolute insanity handing over another £250 to the Premier League simply because you can't be arsed to open a new browser tab.

This.

Once again, it's not that the information isn't available. We know the information is freely available on other websites.

The whole point is that it would allow us to talk freely about the fixtures.

Personally I reckon that's worth a tenner, however, I'm in a minority and there's not enough support for it so it won't go ahead.

well we have 21 already, if all 21 (including myself of course) put down a tenner, I don't mind topping up the additional 40 quid

I can't see how this will done fairly tbh, as some people will handover the £10 and some people don't.

I agree with SEMTEX on this.

Why does that matter? Far from everyone contributed to the server donations, but no one complained about that being unfair.

No one is forcing anyone to put anything in.

Would this be a hassle for the mods/admins if we go through with this?