Cheapest decent laptop?

Beren

Hi,

Very ambiguous thread but I am confident (some of) yous will be better versed in such things than I:

As the title says, need a cheap reliable laptop for word processing and watching videos - nothing fancy, but won't break and relatively quick?

Any suggestions of models/vendors?

Cheers  :thup: :thup: :thup:

Aye, it's a friend's sister who is off to university. I suggested she might prefer a netbook as she could carry it around easier too - I was planning just to send her a small selection of deals but I'm shite at keeping up to date with the best vendors.

If your going to be watching videos often I wouldn't recommend a netbook due to the resolution (unless you got one of the very few that has a decent one).

There you go talking rubbish again. Most netbooks run at least 1024x600, which is higher resolution than DVD (and therefore greater than the vast majority of video downloads). It's only a problem if he wants to watch a load of 1080p HD stuff, in which case the processor and on-board GPU will probably run out of steam anyway.

If your going to be watching videos often I wouldn't recommend a netbook due to the resolution (unless you got one of the very few that has a decent one).

There you go talking rubbish again. Most netbooks run at least 1024x600, which is higher resolution than DVD (and therefore greater than the vast majority of video downloads). It's only a problem if he wants to watch a load of 1080p HD stuff, in which case the processor and on-board GPU will probably run out of steam anyway.

Well I said OFTEN, I think most people watch HD videos anycase particular from Youtube now since you can get 720p and 1080p videos on there.  He's obviously going to be downloading videos since it's a netbook as well.  I think your talking rubbish tbh.

You can pick up 15" laptops fairly cheaply and they're all miles faster than netbooks.

Aye. I only suggested a netbook because of the 'cheapest' in the thread title, as well as the implication that it won't be doing much special.

Look at hotdealsuk.com for good deals.

I would always recommend paying extra for a decent laptop, I know quite a few people who've bought netbooks and then find they can't run some apps, or they find the screen is a little too small to work on.

You can pick up 15" laptops fairly cheaply and they're all miles faster than netbooks.

Aye. I only suggested a netbook because of the 'cheapest' in the thread title, as well as the implication that it won't be doing much special.

People are so fucking ungrateful these days. :no: