Club and Owmership

Delima

With so many takeover news on so many teams recently, I can't help but ask myself - What would the Premiership look like in the long term future? Which clubs will come up top, and which clubs will sink? Which (potential) takeover would prove successful, and which will prove disastrous?

The following are my thoughts.

Chelsea - Taken over by Abramovich, a born again geuine football fan who has long term plan and ambition. As long as  his fortune is untouched by Russian authority then I forsee the continuos dominance of Chelsea for a long while.

Manchester United - Taken over by Glazer family. So far still seem to be pretty supportive of the manager (Carrick, Hargreaves). Man U won't be able to challenge the dominance of Chelsea but they are still very likely to remain in the top tier, as long as they choose the right manager to succeed Ferguson. However in Queroz they know they have a safe pair of hand in the queue.

Liverpool - Constant takeover rumours. The club urgently needs new investment to fund the new stadium and to support the manager. In Benitez they can afford not to worry for a long time. But where would the club find money to fund Benitez's purchses in transfer market in order to stay in touch with Chelsea? Still, in Rick Perry and Rafael Benitez, the club won't go wrong. Liely to stay in top albeit inconsistencies.

Aston Villa - Taken over by American billionaire Lerner. Managed by Martin O'Neill. Lerner's pass records does not impress. But O'Neill's does. However, can O'Neill prove to be a capable long term candidate to challenge the top clubs? I doubt so. 5 years in Celtic, spent heavily there and yet still couldn't totally overpower Rangers managed by McLeish. My opinions have swayed following Villa's current form. But can O'Neill really become one of the elite managers? Verdict: Mid to top table

Portsmouth - Taken over by France-Russia-Israele trinational Gaydamak. Managed by Redknapp and Adam. The board seems to be supportive of the manager, and the club has been revitalised consequently. How far can they go before they sink? Gaydamak's father owns a club in Israel, but his record does not impress. However, wit them in charge you know they won't be relegated. Verdict: Midtable.

West Ham - Taken over by the Icelandic businessman. They have vowed to make Parddew's seat safe. I think the new owner is a noble man with noble intentions. But their first mistakes is to promise the safety of Pardew. Despite having 2 much coveted Argentinians and few highly rated English futures in the squad, Pardew's West Ham is still shit. Pardew is simply not up to scratch if they were to resume the glory past. By promising so uch so early, they will come to regret it. Verdict: Mid to bottom table, unless they have a change of manager.

Arsenal - Not taken over or anything. But they have the best board and manager partnership in the premier league in David Dein and Wenger. With the new stadium, needless to say they will easily remain in the top tier. They don't need too muchmoney to compete with other clubs, because they have the best academy system in the world.

Tottenham - Have a good and ambitious owner who has done almost all the right things to date. With Comolli as DOF the club looks more and more like Arsenal everyday. I doubt Martin Jol is the right manager to guide them to challenge other elites, but he is decent enough to put them in mid to top table every year.

Wigan - Have an amicable pair of chairman and manager. Not starved of money, but how far can they go? Or how long can they stay before they al again? They are still a minnow club. And Whelan's pocket is not bottomless. Verdict: Midtable.

Everton - Do not have a rich chairman, but have a good manager who buys and manage wisely. Midtable, simply they can't compete with the others financially.

Middlesbrough - Have an excellent chairman, and a series of crap manager, due to the noble intentions of the manager. His insistence to stick with Englishman, plus the current draught of excellent English manager, means that his club won't break into the elite club. Verdict: Mid to bottom table, but the club can only become stronger and stronger. One day, eventually, they are going to challenge for the title.

Manchester City - No money. No good manager. No hopers. Perennial relegation candidate, unless they strike gold with a new manger.

Fulham - Unsupportive board, but a decent young manager who can only improve. Mid to bottom table.

Bolton Wanderers - There won't be life after Sam allrdyce.

Charlton - There won't be life after Alan Curbishley.

Blackburn Rovers - There might not be life after Mark Hughes. But I think they have some fund left by their previous chairman. Maybe there is life after all.

Reading - Midtable. Decent manager.

Watford - There won't be life after Aidy Boothroyd.

--------------------

Now here comes the reason why I wrote this post.

Newcastle United - Shit board with poor managers. Shepherd is a poor millionaire who pretends to be a fat cat. His money is our money, and he borrows money to fund the manager. What is the long term future of Newcastle United with Freaky Shitbird in charge? How can we compete with Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Aston Villa and Wigan in the long term?

Ok we might get lucky with our next manager, but how much confidence do you have in FFS? We are in debt, only the TV money can save us. But everyone else will get the TV money too. We have spent loads of money on nothing. How would we fair if we spend nothing?

Pray tell the Belgravia takeover goes through. A consistent top club requires a consistent top board and top manager. Only with the change of ownership we can have a new sense of direction, and only then a trully top manager will come to manage us.

Guest Invicta_Toon

every single club that has ever been taken over has gone on to bigger and better things - discuss

and i'd love to be a poor millionaire tbh.

Guest geordieracer

everton have got a new half owner now haven't they? so they will probably get money to spend

i can only see a few teams breaking the top 4, and thats spurs villa and possibly portsmouth, and if villa or portsmouth get it and take advantage of spurs and liverpool being shit lately, they could get a  real foothold at the top.

as you say both owners haven't had successful past's but its mainly down to the manager with results etc and o'neill and redknapp are both good managers, and will have plenty of money too spend

if we don't get took over soon then i think we could start slipping further and further away from the top 6

West Ham - Taken over by the Icelandic businessman. They have vowed to make Parddew's seat safe. I think the new owner is a noble man with noble intentions. But their first mistakes is to promise the safety of Pardew. Despite having 2 much coveted Argentinians and few highly rated English futures in the squad, Pardew's West Ham is still shit. Pardew is simply not up to scratch if they were to resume the glory past. By promising so uch so early, they will come to regret it. Verdict: Mid to bottom table, unless they have a change of manager.

Not really overly relevent but does everyone think that pardew is a shit manager because i think that he's quite good. I'd rather have him than Roeder, although thats not saying much.

think of it this way - if the belgravia bid, or indeed that polyglon one that was mentioned, comes to fruition then it for one reason and one reason only: to make money

on the face of it not what we want but look beneath the surface and i think of it like this - any business looking to maximise profit long-term will try to reduce overheads and increase revenue, business 101

football is a different animal, i agree, but these groups are basically gonna be astute enough to know that to succeed in making profit they need to the club to be winning, spending reasonable but not stupid amounts of money...and so on and so forth

therefore i'd see them investing short-term, probably with the newly increased tv money in mind, but then instituting something longer term: a director of football overseeing scouting, recruiting scouts, recruiting players BEFORE they make it somewhere else and cost a fortune, enforcing a wage structure at the club etc...

contrast that with the current regime:  we have an academy but it seems to exist only because the fat man has heard about them from someone else, or read about them in 4-4-2, the way it's run and treated is a farce, we've had a succession of managers in the last decade, paid extortionate/ridiculous prices for players (so much so i'm staggered nothing has come out of the investigations into bungs and our transfers) and the one man who put into place a transfer strategy of sorts was humiliated and sacked

oh and lest we forget the personal fortune our current benefactors have raked in as recompense for their performance over a decade.....

bring on the takeover

Not really overly relevent but does everyone think that pardew is a shit manager because i think that he's quite good. I'd rather have him than Roeder, although thats not saying much.

Actually, I think I am in the minority in thinking that Alan Pardew is not as good as people have suggested. I remember that after West Ham beat Boro in FA club semi final, there were quite many praises heaped on him.

I think Alan Pardew is a manager who is capable of building a very good squad, but not capable enough of to build a great team. I am very unimpressed by his complains that the takeover talks have affected his team's performance. and also by his failure to utilise Mascherano and Tevez. But he buys wisely - Green, Gabbidon, Zamora, Harewood, Ashton, Konchesky, Benayoun, Spector etc.

I would have Pardew over Roeder in Newcastle United, but that does not suggest much!

Good article but can you please define 'poor millionaire" ?

Abrahmovic = $18.2b, rich billionaire. Link

Whelan = £291m, rich millionaire Link

Lerner = $1.3b, poor billionaire Link

Shepherd brothers = £25m, millionaire pauper Link

Bill Kenwright = £21m, millionaire pauper Link

Whelan = £291m, rich millionaire Link

Shepherd brothers = £25m, millionaire pauper Link

Bill Kenwright = £21m, millionaire pauper Link

Actually, I think I am in the minority in thinking that Alan Pardew is not as good as people have suggested. I remember that after West Ham beat Boro in FA club semi final, there were quite many praises heaped on him.

I think Alan Pardew is a manager who is capable of building a very good squad, but not capable enough of to build a great team. I am very unimpressed by his complains that the takeover talks have affected his team's performance. and also by his failure to utilise Mascherano and Tevez. But he buys wisely - Green, Gabbidon, Zamora, Harewood, Ashton, Konchesky, Benayoun, Spector etc.

I would have Pardew over Roeder in Newcastle United, but that does not suggest much!

Thats very true I'm shocked at how little he has got out of tev and masch, tho he appears to be good with team morale, and i think the fans are behind him. One of my mates is a hammer and loves him. I also like the style of football they play (well last season anyway). But  this could be because im used to seeing the way we play!

Hold on, you seriously think Boro are going to challenge for the title?

Yes, but not with the likes of Robson, McLaren and Southgate. If Boro is lucky enough in acquiring an excellent manager to replace Southgate (I don't mean Steve Round), Steve Gibson is more than happy to fund his manager. Well Robson and mcLaren have always spent heavily. Southgate too has not faced any financial restriction thus far.

They already have a good club structure with good academy churning out players after players. What they lack is an excellent manager. Maybe they should go after Aidy Boothroyd.

Except Lerner has bought and is running Villa for the Lerner family trust, which is worth in excess of $6bn - the 1.3bn is his own, personal wealth.  The trust also owns the Cleveland Browns which alone are worth a shade under a billion dollars.

I'd be sceptical of all of the above figures. Exceptionally rich people are never going to have the full extent of their worth known.

So we officially reject any bid not coming from a billionairre?

that's us fucked tbh.

Would like to see how you come to this suggestion from this thread?

If you don't wish to contribute to this thread (whether agreeing or disagreeing with me) please have your hissy fit somewhere else.

Guest Invicta_Toon

So we officially reject any bid not coming from a billionairre?

that's us fucked tbh.

Would like to see how you come to this suggestion from this thread?

If you don't wish to contribute to this thread (whether agreeing or disagreeing with me) please have your hissy fit somewhere else.

if you don't understand what you've written it's not my place to explain it to you

good article - didn't agree with all of it, especially the boro bit. but generally i agree.

at first i was against a takeover. but thinking about it, i cannot find a single reason to stick with the fat one - or freaky shitbird as he is now called.

the only reason is this - chelsea aside, football these days is big business - it is about making money, and the club that does it the best is the best club. and for that to happen, we need a real business man, professionel chairman in charge of our club - and freaky shitbird quite obviously isn't the one!

i used to have faith in him - he has always backed managers, under bobby we performed about as well as i ever expected. but in hindsight it is painfully obvious that the man does not have a long term plan - and you will never ever grow and improve by being short-sighted....

..... and I fear that shitbird rarely thinks ahead of his next meal...... shitbird out!