Travelling around Europe

wormy

A bit of a random one. Me and a few friends have been talking about saving up and travelling around Europe maybe sometime next year. Although, none of us really know a thing about how best to do it, how to find best places to stay, how much money needed, etc. It'd only be for about a month, just head around various places. I know from the years I've previously lurked on this forum there's a lot of well-travelled people on here, wondered if they had any good tips, suggestions and whatnot.

You had to say those first two didn't you! I went to Amsterdam about a month ago and it was shit, although my terrible typical English tourist friends were the main cause for that. But because of fucked up flight prices I couldn't do Berlin the weekend before :( Berlin's definitely on my list after missing out, and Amsterdam too, in the hope it's better with better, more appropriate friends.

Just back from Amsterdam->Berlin->Prague->Krakow->Budapest.

In short, Amsterdam is pretty shit, Berlin is fucking amazing and eastern Europe is so cheap it hurts. Beer for 60p and 3 courses for £3 if you look around in certain areas.

Ace.  Where in particular amongst the ones you mentioned?

In short, Amsterdam is pretty shit, Berlin is fucking amazing and eastern Europe is so cheap it hurts. Beer for 60p and 3 courses for £3 if you look around in certain areas.

Wallsend Buffs

In short, Amsterdam is pretty s***, Berlin is f***ing amazing and eastern Europe is so cheap it hurts. Beer for 60p and 3 courses for £3 if you look around in certain areas.

Budapest can be cheapest but it's harder to find. We were slightly out of the centre of Krakow (only 20 minutes walk, mind) and we had a 2 course Polish meal with a couple of beers for around £4 and an even cheaper chinese the next night. Good stuff aswell. Stayed in a decent hostel (cheap bar, clean rooms and free breakfast/internet) for £7 a night.

There was a place in Budapest selling 2.5 litre pitchers of beer for around £2.50 :lol: absolutely crazy. We couldn't be arsed searching too much in Budapest as it was the last stop and we were knackered but I'm sure you could find some excellent deals because their exchange rate is f***ing wacky.

You sometimes just have to step back and say 'wait a second, I'm not getting this thing from the menu because it's the equivalent of 50p dearer, what the f*** is wrong with me?' Just went nuts after that. Steak, steak, steak.

EDIT: Forgot Prague. Considering it's a total tourist trap it's pretty cheap (by eastern/central europe standards). Beautiful city but sold out to tourism a bit (don't blame them tbh).

In short, Amsterdam is pretty s***, Berlin is f***ing amazing and eastern Europe is so cheap it hurts. Beer for 60p and 3 courses for £3 if you look around in certain areas.

Budapest can be cheapest but it's harder to find. We were slightly out of the centre of Krakow (only 20 minutes walk, mind) and we had a 2 course Polish meal with a couple of beers for around £4 and an even cheaper chinese the next night. Good stuff aswell. Stayed in a decent hostel (cheap bar, clean rooms and free breakfast/internet) for £7 a night.

There was a place in Budapest selling 2.5 litre pitchers of beer for around £2.50 :lol: absolutely crazy. We couldn't be arsed searching too much in Budapest as it was the last stop and we were knackered but I'm sure you could find some excellent deals because their exchange rate is fucking wacky.

You sometimes just have to step back and say 'wait a second, I'm not getting this thing from the menu because it's the equivalent of 50p dearer, what the fuck is wrong with me?' Just went nuts after that. Steak, steak, steak.

Haha cheers man.  Will possibly look at going somewhere around there fairly shortly.

In short, Amsterdam is pretty s***

Really? Argh, going there in a couple of weeks.

Went to Budapest a few years ago and it was awesome!

Well to be fair, we got really high and fell asleep both nights. It does have some quality nightspots though. I'd do a bit of research first :thup:

I feel bad now. Wasn't shit but we didn't approach it properly.

Drinking in the streets (legally) in Berlin one of the best feelings known to man.

We were literally down the road from the Red Light District, just went there all 3 nights. Got boring halfway through the second night but as it seems you done, no research, didn't know where the hell to go otherwise so we were kinda stuck there. And my mate got ripped off for weed  :lol: Amsterdam, and my mate managed to get screwed with shit weed, classic!

Hostelworld (for kip), skyscanner (for flights), lonely planet on a shoe string (guidebook) are your friends wormy.

Interrailing or renting a car/camper probably the easiest/cheapest way to get about. I've not been round Europe on one trip but generally the rule of thumb when travelling is that you spend a grand a month (although if you spent a month in Monaco this would obvs change). Piece of piss really. Hardest part is figuring out a route.

Off to Barcelona on Saturday, been before fantastic city.

I went to Barca while I was in Spain for my birthday in June, went down La Rambla, it was hyped up to fuck by the tour guide (went with the girlfriend and done one of those package days, great fun :rolleyes:), was such a let down! Only good thing was some random reggae-type band that were busking in the street who were really good actually.