Newcastle United v Wigan Pre-Match Thread - 16/10/10, 3.00 PM

The Prophet

Hughton seems to have a real problem picking a balanced side but hopefully Guthrie will just be glad to be back playing and put in a good shift on the right. Normally he looks like he'd rather be in Iraq than on the wing. He can deliver a decent cross now and then.

The only alternativ is Routledge who has been shite in the last matches. So what would you want Hughton to do?

Routledge hasn't been great so I can understand why Hughton might have gone for Guthrie, but he's been shite on the wing as well previously. I think it's fair enough for this match, my comment was more about Hughton in general playing midfielders up front, or strikers on the wing (Ranger/Lovenkrands). It would be nice to see him just play wingers on the wing, midfielders in midfield and forwards up front once in a while.

Glad Guthrie is playing in a way, as i rate him, but he's not a right winger. How many times last season did we look poor with him on the wing providing next to nothing. We are too predictable with all attacks coming down the left. Thats why routledge (who isn't all that good) at least gave us another dimension and we looked so much beter once he started playing on the right. I'd rather play (wild card) Ranger on the wing at least he'll cause Wigan problems.

Perhaps CH is going for a back to basics approach. Looks like a draw before we have even kicked off.

We should attack teams more. Blackpool just went for us from the off and we found it hard to get a foothold in the game credit to them. We should go for a similar more positive approach.

Glad Nolan not playing though.

Top-toon - we are going for a win with the formation that Hughton has picked. Routledge has done nout for the last 3-4 games, so perhaps a spell on the bench will give him a kick up the arse. Good impact sub to have as well.

Wigan apparently retain the ball very well, so it's important that we score first.

Guthrie on the right?

I'm not convinced, cant we try a 4-3-3 with Jonas and Loven playing off Carroll in a way and Guthrie Barton and Tiote playing a triangle in the middle?

Not convinced with Guthrie on the right.

Guthrie on the right?

I'm not convinced, cant we try a 4-3-3 with Jonas and Loven playing off Carroll in a way and Guthrie Barton and Tiote playing a triangle in the middle?

Not convinced with Guthrie on the right.

I hope that will be more the formation.

have to agree with Mick Lowes and Ando like.  Barton probably should be captain.  Colo doesn't appear very vocal and his English isn't that great.

Despite being reasonably reformed, Barton should never be allowed to captain a team again.

Colo is a well respected member of the team with a lot of experience and has done a good job with Williamson. Deserved choice.