Newcastle United v Wigan Pre-Match Thread - 16/10/10, 3.00 PM

The Prophet

6 pointer. If we lose this we are completely up shit creek. I got slated in the pub earlier too when I mentioned how important this game is. Apparently im negative and fickle. Anyone with a brain would see this as must win for Newcastle.

We really shouldn't play Carroll up front on his own against these lot. Wigan are fucking crap and they are there for the taking. Lovenkrands can be just as effective as he was last season against their defence and he should start. The obvious thing would be to put him in for Nolan, but realistically thats not gonna happen. I think he'll go 4-5-1 again but I reckon if he went 4-4-2 he'd drop Tiote for this game going with the more attacking minded Barton and Nolan. Tiote should be the first name on the teamsheet as far as I'm concerned now after Carroll, Barton and Jose. Ok the 4th  :lol:

Guest BooBoo

6 pointer. If we lose this we are completely up shit creek. I got slated in the pub earlier too when I mentioned how important this game is. Apparently im negative and fickle. Anyone with a brain would see this as must win for Newcastle.

You're right. I wouldn't worry about being shouted down, most people are genuinely stupid.

6 pointer. If we lose this we are completely up s*** creek. I got slated in the pub earlier too when I mentioned how important this game is. Apparently im negative and fickle. Anyone with a brain would see this as must win for Newcastle.

Some people :facepalm:

When is not-fickle and negative with some people? Rock bottom and no win in 20?

This is a must win situation. Even a draw would feel like a defeat and would leave massive doubts in the minds of both players and fans.

We may have been conned by the Ref yesterday, but I do not subscribe to the 'we are making chances' brigade, because we are NOT...if anyone doubts this, just try to remember how many times we have forced opposition keepers into brilliant reflex saves, or how many shots we have had cleared off the opposition's goal line. I think you'll be struggling with that one....

Failure to beat Wigan at SJP WILL establish the club as a relegation candidate and if we then lose to the Mackems, I can see real problems ahead for the club, especially if the other promoted sides are doing OK.

Ashley will start getting very twitchy indeed.....

It's imperative that we win in any form... but if we take them to the cleaners it'll be a huge lift for everyone after today's travesty. A loss and we're officially in a relegation scrap.

Think we already are and I cant see this being easy. Really nervous about this one.

It's a game we should win and need to win.

The problem at the minute though is you just don't know what to expect. If we play like we did yesterday we should win but if we put in performance like we did against Stoke then we will get beat again.

Also, this is really the type of game we should be going 4-4-2 in. At home against a relatively poor side we shouldn't be going just one up front. You would think against Wigan we shouldn't need five players packing the midfield.

I'd go:

Krul

Perch-Colo(Sol)-Williamson-Enrique

Routledge-Barton-Tiote-Jonas

Amoebi-Carroll

Guest firetotheworks

I'd like to see Colo and Sol.

As good as Williamson's been, I agree. I wish we had that strength in depth in any of our other positions.

We have already had 2 must win games and we have lost both.  This is a MUST win game.

The fixtures in November and December are perilous and potentially there's no more than 6 points in them for us. 

Negative, sure, but there you go.

It would be basically the same team as Man City except Taylor or Routledge replacing Ben Arfa, and maybe Carroll on for Ameobi.

But I think it should be

Krul

Perch

Williamson

Coloccini

Enrique

Taylor

Barton

Tiote

Jonas

Loven/Ameobi

Carroll

If Wigan show their bad side, 3-0.

If they show up, we will win by one goal in a hard-fought match. (1-0, 2-1)