Newcastle United v Wigan Pre-Match Thread - 16/10/10, 3.00 PM

The Prophet

Must win game, simple as.  Would prefer Nolan to be dropped for 2 men upfront with Guthrie coming back in for him, but know it's very unlikely to happen.

Guthrie for who? Barton or Tiote?

I would like to see:

Krul

Simpson - Williamson - Coloccini - Enrique

Routledge - Barton -Tiote - Jonas

Carroll - Lovenkrands

This is what I would go with, except maybe Perch for Simpson depending on Simpson's fitness levels.

Krul

Raylor - Campbell - Coloccini - Enrique

Routledge - Barton -Tiote - Jonas

Carroll - Ranger

I think our team needs a bit more pace so dropping Nolan and bringing in Ranger will sighlty help Im sure,realistacally prob not going to happen.We hopefully wont have to do too much defending so I would start Raylor ahead of that donkey Perch.Both are poor defensively but Raylor is far better going forward

I wonder if Coloccini could play at right back. When he joined I seem to remember reading that he could play anywhere in the back 4 (as well as holding midfield). It would make for a decent back four with Williamson and Campbell (now he's fit) in the middle.

I wonder if Coloccini could play at right back. When he joined I seem to remember reading that he could play anywhere in the back 4 (as well as holding midfield). It would make for a decent back four with Williamson and Campbell (now he's fit) in the middle.

he could..... but he wont.

I hope we forget about the 'someone-off-Carroll' idea for good now that Ben Arfa's out the picture. He's the only one who would have been capable of linking the midfield and attack with any efficiency. Carroll's not good enough to do the extra work required playing infront of Nolan/Lovenkrands.

Frustrating though it is - cos it was hardly amazing in the CCC - but it's back to Carroll/Lovenkrands iyam. 4-4-2. I don't rate Loven that highly, but i think that's the best option, certainly at home anyway.

We really need to win the game cannot lose 3 in a row at home.

----------------------Krul

Simo-------Colo-----------Willi-------Jose

--------------Bart-----------Tiote

Rout-------------------------------------Jonas

-----------Ranger-----------Carroll

We need a high urgency and tempo as well.   Just get the fuckers under pressure from kick off.  No more pissing about, if we are gonner go down then go down f***ing fighting.  EDIT: Re home form only.

We need a high urgency and tempo as well.   Just get the fuckers under pressure from kick off.  No more pissing about, if we are gonner go down then go down fucking fighting.

Bang  on...  we do not do enough, this bollocks formation with Nolan is costing us at home.. opposition defenders must love it, only having 1 striker to deal with.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

That's gonna happen

Oh I know it wont happen it will be the same old shit formation as always, I have faith in Hughton I just hope he can see how this is not going to work at home.. away from home yes no issue with it.

Perch------Colo------------Willi-------Jose

Rout--------Bart------------Tiote-----Jonas

----------------------Nolan

---------------------Carroll

I'd probably give Loven a chance alongside Carroll. Routledge and Jonas on the flanks, centre mid as is with Tiote and Barton.

I think that would give us balance and options in attack, plus height, width and pace.

In defence, it's a tough one for Hughton. A home game is a good place to give Campbell 90 mins and he has the quality to be a rock at the back if he gets fully fit. But equally, he's a short term signing breaking up a promising partnership in Colo and Williamson.

Ranger.

:lol:

Yup, lineups that drop Nolan for Ranger are pie in the sky.

BUT there is the question of the right hand side. Routledge has been poor, and for me, his head is on the block

If Hughton picks a 4-4-2, then I think there's every chance of the Barton-Tiote-Nolan-Jonas midfield. Ronaldo goes too far when he says Hughton should be sacked for sending out Barton on the right, but his underlying point is valid and I think we should be prepared for the possibility.

If it's to be 4-4-1-1, I would advocate putting Ranger on the right. I say that NOT being part of Ranger's fan club - but I think his direct running and the support he could offer coming in from the right could be a potent weapon against Wigan's backline. God knows we've gotten nothing from Routledge's crosses, and we all know Nolan will be playing, so this could be a good card to play.

When you look at out squad, there really aren't many options. Barton, Guthrie and Raylor have been tried out wide, and found wanting. We have to change something, maybe this is an easier option for Hughton than dropping Nolan?

If you're going to drop Routledge, they should put Guthrie on the right.  Mean delivery for Carroll.

If you're going to drop Routledge, the only person they should replace him with is Ryan Taylor.

He is flawed in many ways but he is a genuine goal threat and can deliver a set piece like no one else in our squad.  IMO Carroll is far more likely to score with Taylor whipping balls in for him.

Given Perch's complete ineptitude i'd stick Raylor at right back - just having him on the pitch gives us an added dimension.

If you're going to drop Routledge, they should put Guthrie on the right.  Mean delivery for Carroll.

If you're going to drop Routledge, the only person they should replace him with is Ryan Taylor.

He is flawed in many ways but he is a genuine goal threat and can deliver a set piece like no one else in our squad.  IMO Carroll is far more likely to score with Taylor whipping balls in for him.

Given Perch's complete ineptitude i'd stick Raylor at right back - just having him on the pitch gives us an added dimension.

Exactly.

Krul

Simpson  Campbell  Colo  Enrique

Routledge  Barton  Tiote  Jonas

Lovenkrands

Carroll

That will do for me.

Krul

Lovenkrands

Carroll

That will do for me.

Lovenkrands in a withdrawn role and Carroll messing around by the corner flag?  I have to say, it'd at least give us the element of surprise.

Krul

Lovenkrands

Carroll

That will do for me.

Lovenkrands in a withdrawn role and Carroll messing around by the corner flag?  I have to say, it'd at least give us the element of surprise.

;D

@Scottwilsonecho

#NUFC boss CH has hinted Peter Lovenkrands could start tomorrow. But will that mean 4-4-2 and Nolan dropped, or might he start out wide?

He better not start out fucking wide.