Southgate allowed to stay on at smogs

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

The Premier League has given Gareth Southgate permission to remain Middlesbrough manager until the end of the season.

The 36-year-old had to be given special dispensation for his first three months in the job as he does not have the required qualifications.

The rules say a manager can remain as long as he has enrolled on the Pro Licence course.

But he does not yet have the necessary Uefa coaching badge to take the course.

Southgate took over as Boro manager when Steve McClaren left in the summer to become England manager.

The sudden move from playing to managing means he has not yet had a chance to study for the Uefa B and A badges, which he must have before he can apply for a Pro Licence.

He is in the process of acquiring his B badge, and will start studying for the A qualification in the new year with a view to taking the Pro Licence in the summer.

"It will mean a bit more work in the Southgate household but it will nice to have a clear picture of what lies ahead and which courses need to be done and on what timescale," he said.

"I am commtted to continuing taking these course and whatever happens, I need to be enrolled on the Pro Licence by the end of the season, I would think, to be able to continue.

"The job is hard enough and it's just one more challenge for me, but I like a challenge."

www.bbc.co.uk/football