DVD writer

NE5

won't format blank DVD-RW disks in the PC.

It plays perfectly, and copies other disks onto DVD-R disks.

I've always had a feeling something was right with it, as it wouldn't copy some data onto a DVD-R once int the same way a CD-R would have done.

It gets to about 70% then fails at the "strings" [something like that] section of the format ?

Is there something wrong ?

I've got a CD writer but I'll go and get another DVD-Rw if it is, the model is an optorite dd201.

Might not like the brand of DVDRWs you are using.

Try updating the firmware: http://www.pacificdigital.com/dl/pafiledb.php?action=category&id=6 - use the one that matches your drive in Device Manager. The fourth or second last link.

Warning: THIS MAY BREAK IT COMPLETELY.

the disks are sony 1x-2x compatible, I got them because my optorite is a 2 or 4 speed, as ive had it for about 2 and a half years.

if its bust then I have no problem busting it completely by trying what you say, as I will go and get a better one - as I said i've always suspected something wasn't right about it. I have wondered if the driver could be re-installed though, which I haven't done as yet because I'm not sure its worth the bother.

What is the double layer etc all about nowadays ?

Dual layer disks basically are as they sound. DVDs with two layers, so twice the capacity - 9.4GB. It all depends on whether you need that space, personally I don't, so I haven't bothered upgrading.

You can get a dual layer writer for £20 delivered.

Dual layer disks basically are as they sound. DVDs with two layers, so twice the capacity - 9.4GB. It all depends on whether you need that space, personally I don't, so I haven't bothered upgrading.

You can get a dual layer writer for £20 delivered.

is firmware another name for driver ????????

Firmware is the actual instructions (or driver, yes) on the hardware drive itself. It will not work without firmware.

It is different to the burning software you might be thinking of (Nero etc) though, and different to the driver Windows uses to recognise it.

Firmware is the actual instructions (or driver, yes) on the hardware drive itself. It will not work without firmware.

It is different to the burning software you might be thinking of (Nero etc) though, and different to the driver Windows uses to recognise it.

so - how will the wrong "driver" destroy it ???????

I've not heard of that before.

Firmware (as I understand it) isn't the driver, which allows the pc to control the dvd drive, it's basically the software installed on the actual dvd drive that makes it work, so if it goes wrong the actual dvd drive won't be able to work.

Not sure if that makes sense, but I know what I mean. :lol:

Firmware (as I understand it) isn't the driver, which allows the pc to control the dvd drive, it's basically the software installed on the actual dvd drive that makes it work, so if it goes wrong the actual dvd drive won't be able to work.

Not sure if that makes sense, but I know what I mean. :lol:

I understand. What you mean is, my firmware may be knackered, or the DVD player itself may be knackered. In both cases buying another one is the probable answer. At least its only abuot 20 quid  :winking:

Indigo is right. Firmware are the basic instructions on your drive that tell it how to do what it can do. If they go wrong that's it, there's no coming back.

I only suggested it as upgrades can sometimes fix your problem. However, it's definitely worth the £20 for the increase in burn speed if nothing else.

Try www.ebuyer.com. :thup:

cheers lads ...... just been to the PC shop and he says firmware might cure it as it will update the machine to play new types of disks, as they change them all the time. Pretty much what you say.

Now, I am torn between risking it and buying a new one for 25 quid, when the one I have is a perfectly good CD writer that I can keep as a spare for my daughters pc  [ex mine].

Just try it man. ;)

I have.

It works. I have transferred data to the disks, and seem to be OK apart from I have to re-boot the pc to enable "eject" to work !!!!!!!!!!

But that was happening before and its copied the data perfectly, speedily and just like a normal CD.

cheers lads

Getting a new one myself soon. Mine seems to be totally fucked, doesn't matter though, as you've said, they're so cheap. It'll be worth it for dual layer and increased speed (though i hate that the high-speed discs are way to expensive!!)