Weezer "offered" $10m to split up

GM

Weezer 'offered' $10m to split up

Frustrated fans launch fundraiser to persuade band to retire, urging them to 'take our money and disappear'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/oct/07/weezer-offered-10m-split-up

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2010/10/7/1286442370654/Weezer-006.jpg

Weezer ... 'If they can make it 20, we'll do the "deluxe breakup"'. Photograph: Sean Murphy

A group of frustrated music fans want Weezer to break up, and they're willing to pay them. Claiming the band has never improved on their 1996 album Pinkerton, the organisers of a new campaign hope to raise $10m to convince Weezer to pack it in and stop "disappointing" fans. "This is an abusive relationship," the project's creator said. "It needs to [end]."

"I'm tired of it," James Burns explained to Seattle's the Stranger. "Every year, Rivers Cuomo swears that he's changed, and that [Weezer's] new album is the best thing that he's done since Pinkerton, and what happens? Another pile of crap like Beverly Hills or I'm Your Daddy." Instead of leaving snarky comments on the internet, Burns is urging like-minded haters to put their money where their mouths are. "I beg you, Weezer," he said. "Take our money and disappear."

Burns has a long way to go. At the time of writing, he has raised a grand total of $273 (£172) toward his $10m (£6.3m) goal. But if Guardian readers suddenly flock to the campaign, remortgaging their homes to banish Weezer for good, it could conceivably work out. The band's drummer, Patrick Wilson, commented on Twitter: "If they can make it 20[million dollars]," he wrote, "we'll do the 'deluxe breakup.'"

According to Burns, Weezer's musical entropy doesn't just affect fans – it affects everyone. "I have never been a fan of this band," he said. "I think that they are pretty much horrible ... [but Weezer fans] are our brothers and sisters, our friends, our lovers ... I am tired of my friends being disappointed year after year."

Weezer's latest album, Hurley, may or may not have been named after a brand of clothing. It is out now.

Weirdest marketing ploy ever? ???

Guest firetotheworks

I think the point now is that Weezer as famous, or at least renowned for once being amazing and now being terrible. Bands ebb and flow with their quality, but Weezer are like at the extreme end of both scales. The Blue Album is genius and everything I've heard recently makes me visually embarrassed.

I'd actually put a few bob towards this.

I've actually started leaving them out of the conversation when talking to people about my all time favourite bands, which is a real shame because 'The Blue Album' and 'Pinkerton' are both absolutely amazing albums. Haven't listened to either of them much in the last few years, but I'm pretty sure I could recite every word of both those albums if for some bizarre reason I ever needed to.

Everything that came after those two albums is absolutely fucking awful though, it's like a completely different band.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Has River graduated yet? He's been studying English for about 15 years now. Besides, this Weezer today isn't the same Weezer I remember, possibly not even the same Weezer as the last album. Still, I enjoy them now and again.

I'd actually put a few bob towards this.

I've actually started leaving them out of the conversation when talking to people about my all time favourite bands, which is a real shame because 'The Blue Album' and 'Pinkerton' are both absolutely amazing albums. Haven't listened to either of them much in the last few years, but I'm pretty sure I could recite every word of both those albums if for some bizarre reason I ever needed to.

Everything that came after those two albums is absolutely fucking awful though, it's like a completely different band.

Tend to agree but I do think the Green Album's decent. Hashpipe/Island In The Sun - both great tracks. They were absolutely superb at Leeds... did an ironic cover of Teenage Dirtbag (presumably to confuse the tard part-timers) which went down an absolute treat.

• 6 months later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Think I'm starting to like them again after listening to 'Hurley'.  :lol: